• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

F

fister

Apr 11, 2019
I looked at the Max Dog regulator kit. The price is ridiculous... $330. What a crock

It looks like the Medline HCS8725M regulator. This one has a max 25l/min flow and a 15l/min setting. The usual price is $30. This is part of a series of regulators with varying maximum flow rates. There is a maximum 15l/min model too.

I am going to shoot for the regulator with the possibility to flow 25l/min and use a 40cf bottle rather than a 20cf, just to give some headroom.

I'll order the Medline regulator after the holiday and figure out how to adapt a cga580 fitting onto it.

cornflowerblue

cornflowerblue

Mage
Feb 18, 2019
I looked at the Max Dog regulator kit. The price is ridiculous... $330. What a crock

It looks like the Medline HCS8725M regulator. This one has a max 25l/min flow and a 15l/min setting. The usual price is $30. This is part of a series of regulators with varying maximum flow rates. There is a maximum 15l/min model too.

I am going to shoot for the regulator with the possibility to flow 25l/min and use a 40cf bottle rather than a 20cf, just to give some headroom.

I'll order the Medline regulator after the holiday and figure out how to adapt a cga580 fitting onto it.
Isn't it expensive because it's already perfectly set up, and because most other sellers require you to have a valid business license or whatever?

F

fister

Apr 11, 2019
Isn't it expensive because it's already perfectly set up, and because most other sellers require you to have a valid business license or whatever?

I've bought a bunch of gases before and not been asked for a business license.

For US customers MDB is selling what looks to be the Medline oxygen regulator which is modified, and some accessories that are easy for me to obtain. If you want to mail order the gas in the US you need to buy it from a vendor like cyberweld.

The $330 might be a deal for really sick people but I am planning to ctb before i get to that point. I am mobile and can use hand tools and operate machine tools. Hopefully I can help some people with less cash after I figure this out.

cornflowerblue

cornflowerblue

Mage
Feb 18, 2019
I've bought a bunch of gases before and not been asked for a business license.

For US customers MDB is selling what looks to be the Medline oxygen regulator which is modified, and some accessories that are easy for me to obtain. If you want to mail order the gas in the US you need to buy it from a vendor like cyberweld.

The $330 might be a deal for really sick people but I am planning to ctb before i get to that point. I am mobile and can use hand tools and operate machine tools. Hopefully I can help some people with less cash after I figure this out.
I agree, that's why I think it's a fair price. They don't claim it's the only option, it's just sold as a pre-assembled item and priced for convenience. Like takeout or HelloFresh vs buying the groceries and cooking the same meal yourself.

Interesting about not needing a business license!

Reactions: Lifeisatrap
cornflowerblue

cornflowerblue

Mage
Feb 18, 2019
Airgas will sell to individuals and so will welding shops. You might have a problem buying nitrous oxide though ;)

This advice and experience that I'm relating is for the USA.
I've looked into this method and decided against it. There's too many ways to screw it up and I'd just prefer N for a few other reasons too

F

fister

Apr 11, 2019
I found the Medline HCS5415M regulator which is a closer match to the MDB regulator and has a CGA540 connection which will be easier to adapt to the CGA580 that is on the inert gas bottles. Getting excited now

Looks like the Western Enterprises 415 adapter will fit the HCS5415M flow regulator to the inert gas bottle!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Righttodie
dreamsofdestruction

dreamsofdestruction

Everywhere I look is chaos
May 9, 2019
Interesting about not needing a business license!

Don't see why you would need one, these are pretty common items you can buy at many places online.
Looks like the Western Enterprises 415 adapter will fit the HCS5415M flow regulator to the inert gas bottle!!!

Isn't the regulator for oxygen though? AFAIK you can't just use them for any gas because they're calibrated for a certain one, even if you manage to connect it to the tank.

F

fister

Apr 11, 2019
Isn't the regulator for oxygen though? AFAIK you can't just use them for any gas because they're calibrated for a certain one, even if you manage to connect it to the tank.
I have not had this experience with other gases. I came up with a method to test the flow regulator. If MDB is adjusting them I will have to figure that out too. Thanks for pointing that out.

In my oxy fuel cutting setup the o2 reg is special because it must be oil free. I use the same reg for c3h8 and c2h2. On the mig welder I use a co2 reg from a soda fountain for inert gases and other mixes but that is pressure. I don't have access to my garage for other reasons, or I'd just try one of the regulators I have.

F

fister

Apr 11, 2019
In my oxy fuel cutting setup the o2 reg is special because it must be oil free. I use the same reg for c3h8 and c2h2.
I meant to say I use the same reg for both fuels. I don't use the o2 reg for fuel gas

F

fister

Apr 11, 2019
Here's the regulator adapter. It should connect the regulator above to the inert gas tank.

I need to determine the wrench sizes necessary so that others can assemble the reg, adapter and gas bottle easily.

Reactions: GasMonkey
F

fibroguy

Jul 9, 2019
Here's the regulator adapter. It should connect the regulator above to the inert gas tank.

I need to determine the wrench sizes necessary so that others can assemble the reg, adapter and gas bottle easily.

Where did you get both items ?

F

fister

Apr 11, 2019
Where did you get both items ?
I got them online. I don't want to disclose the websites publicly but you can find them on google. Search for:
Medline HCS5415M
Western Enterprises 415

I'm afraid if the vendors I used know we are buying them they will be harder to acquire.

Anyone is invited to send me a PM if you have trouble.

Last edited:
F

fibroguy

Jul 9, 2019
I got them online. I don't want to disclose the websites publicly but you can find them on google. Search for:
Medline HCS5415M
Western Enterprises 415

I'm afraid if the vendors I used know we are buying them they will be harder to acquire.

Anyone is invited to send me a PM if you have trouble.
Appreciate it. Max dog regulator is too pricey. Do you know if your method is guaranteed to work? I don't want to take a chance with the argon/co2 regulator

F

fibroguy

Jul 9, 2019
I will test its calibration with N2 when i get my bottle.

A flow regulator for welding will be fine, just test it with a container and stopwatch.
I was informed that the lpm has to be precisely 15. That's why I'm not sure about the argon/co2 flow regulator...because argon flow rate and nitrogen flow rate are different

dandan

dandan

One more attempt on life.
Feb 18, 2019
yes, its a load of crap...

MaxDog Regulator its in reality a cheap Oxygen regulator, just zoom into the picture, even in their website, the image said oxygen :pfff:
The only thing is the fitting, the valve, a connector, which is sold for $5 in mexico 13344

Last edited:
pane

pane

Hollow
Apr 29, 2019
Here's more info about the MaxDog regulator you'll likely find interesting. Read the entire thread and especially post #10:

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/addendum-on-nitrogen.3099/post-139877

Reactions: fister
F

fister

Apr 11, 2019
I was informed that the lpm has to be precisely 15.
At least 15 lpm is good as long as the actual flow does not exhaust the gas supply before the intended result is achieved.

F

fibroguy

Jul 9, 2019
At least 15 lpm is good as long as the actual flow does not exhaust the gas supply before the intended result is achieved.
I'm sure you know about certain people using the argon regulators for nitrogen tanks (I don't trust this). If your method works that means you would have verified that buying the oxygen regulator along with the adapter is the cheapest most reliable method as opposed to getting the max dog regulator for 300something dollars. We'll see
yes, its a load of crap...

MaxDog Regulator its in reality a cheap Oxygen regulator, just zoom into the picture, even in their website, the image said oxygen :pfff:
The only thing is the fitting, the valve, a connector, which is sold for $5 in mexicoView attachment 13344
I'm curious...are you looking into this method

Last edited:
dandan

dandan

Feb 18, 2019
I'm sure you know about certain people using the argon regulators for nitrogen tanks (I don't trust this). If your method works that means you would have verified that buying the oxygen regulator along with the adapter is the cheapest most reliable method as opposed to getting the max dog regulator for 300something dollars. We'll see

I'm curious...are you looking into this method

I already tried and failed with this method.... it was my last attempt almost exactly 1 year ago,, I would recommend this if its already available and if there's no N available...

Last edited:
dandan

dandan

Feb 18, 2019
What went wrong ??
I really dunno... I did 1 full tank test run, reload and still fucked up.... I really don't know what went wrong I just didn't loose any consciousness at all

F

fibroguy

Jul 9, 2019
I really dunno... I did 1 full tank test run, reload and still fucked up.... I really don't know what went wrong I just didn't loose any consciousness at all
That's odd. Did you have a regulator similar to the max dog one? Maybe you didn't exhale enough before you put the bag over your head? Or the nitrogen wasn't pure enough

F

fister

Apr 11, 2019
I got the nitrogen tank attached to the regulator using the adapter with no leaks.

The hex sizes are as follows:
Adapter - 1 and 1 1/8 inches
Regulator - 27mm

Since I don't have a 27mm wrench, I used an adjustable wrench on the regulator.

The adapter must be held fast with the 1" wrench to prevent rotation while the nuts are tightened. Either nut has a reversed thread to the other, meaning they tighten on opposite directions. Hold the parts together and thread the nut by hand before applying tightening torque with the wrenches.

I would prefer to store the setup with the adapter attached to either the bottle or the regulator. However the regulator's box is not large enough and the adapter is long enough to create a danger to damage the valve on the tank if the tank falls with the adapter attached.

Always open the bottle's valve all the way to prevent leaking from the handle shaft.

My next post to this thread will have test results about the actual flow rate of the O2 regulator with nitrogen, and instructions to increase the flow beyond 15lpm.

Last edited:
N

nakat0mi

Aug 2, 2019
I'm saddened to say, but you'll be happy to hear, fister, as you knew him, has successfully killed himself.
There is nothing I will miss more in this life than his touch. Despite his schizophrenia, I loved him, though my message never quite reached him. If wishes we're horses, I'd have been trampled in a stampede by now.

I'd like to end with a song that I was listening to on the night he left...
Through My Prayers by The Avett Brothers
(he hated this band)

Last edited: