• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Except me and a few others, if we qualify as trouble makers.

What's going on?? We need threads about misogyny, incels, racism and transphobia!

Personally I will starting a philosophical thread on Arthur Schopenhauer, the good, the bad and the ugly. Pertinent to this site's ethos! He was a mortalist that never killed himself and tried to have the best health possible. An hypocrite to be sure but had some ontological breakthroughs that are no joke.

Last edited:
J

jandek

Down in a Mirror
Feb 19, 2022
Except me and a few others, if we qualify as trouble makers.

What's going on?? We need threads about misogyny, incels, racism and transphobia!

Personally I will starting a philosophical thread on Arthur Schopenhauer, the good, the bad and the ugly. Pertinent to this site's ethos! He was a mortalist that never killed himself and tried to have the best health possible. An hypocrite to be sure but had some ontological breakthroughs that are no joke.
In his essay on suicide, although he strongly disagrees with the religious taboo surrounding it, Schopenhauer makes it clear that he sees suicide as futile act, an experiment that seeks to destroy the only means of verifying its success. He was no hypocrite on this subject, although he was in respect to asceticism, which he preached but didn't practice in any meaningful way.

whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Oh right, jandek, I meant he was an hypocrite regarding rejecting life through asceticism (and then death), you're right. I'm all over the place. But to some extent I also think he was an hypocrite in not killing himself as Mäinlander did. I know exactly why he thought suicide to be folly but at the same time dying of old age when you preached that life is to be discarded/expunged is suspect.

Overall I agree with him that just cutting one life abruptly isn't going to terminate the underlying karma/desires/suffering that is animating it. That particular life is a phenomenon, the underlying force is what really is.

J

jandek

Down in a Mirror
Feb 19, 2022
Oh right, jandek, I meant he was an hypocrite regarding rejecting life through asceticism (and then death), you're right. I'm all over the place. But to some extent I also think he was an hypocrite in not killing himself as Mäinlander did. I know exactly why he thought suicide to be folly but at the same time dying of old age when you preached that life is to be discarded/expunged is suspect.

Overall I agree with him that just cutting one life abruptly isn't going to terminate the underlying karma/desires/suffering that is animating it. That particular life is a phenomenon, the underlying force is what really is.
I wish Schopenhauer were still alive when Mainländer published his work... His reaction would be interesting, probably very critical and sarcastic. I think an English translation of The Philosophy of Redemption is currently in the works. Maybe someone can translate Julius Bahnsen too. My German isn't good enough to read them in the original, unfortunately.

Reactions: whatevs