JessIsAlive

JessIsAlive

Sep 9, 2024
Hey, does anyone have a list of recent users on here who (appear to) have been successful in their ctb attempts and also what methods they all used?
I think this would be a great resource, I'm sorry if my curiosity is morbid or disrespectful

Myforevercharlie

Myforevercharlie

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020
You can search for goodbye topics..

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
Tommen Baratheon

Tommen Baratheon

1+1=3
Dec 26, 2023
Hey, does anyone have a list of recent users on here who (appear to) have been successful in their ctb attempts and also what methods they all used?
I think this would be a great resource, I'm sorry if my curiosity is morbid or disrespectful
You can't be sure if people actually ctb without reliable witnesses. I could post right now I'm going to ctb and come back with another account.

Reactions: Reflection, lnlybnny, Myforevercharlie and 2 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I understand the curiousity but I'm always nervous this sort of things plays right into journalists hands. (Ones that condemn this site anyhow.) If they can easily link actual deaths and actual methods to the site in one easy to reference place, I just don't think it would do the place any favours. But, I have seen people compile lists in the past. Probably suspected suicides rather than confirmed ones. Not all that recently though.

• Informative
Reactions: MentalFuneral, Praestat_Mori, DrinkyCrow and 4 others
S

scubadam

just a guy trying to find peace
Aug 4, 2024
somebody did a list of suspected successful suicides in the last months somewhere here on SaSu, but i can't find it now:(
but i can't find it now:(
never mind, got it! here's the list for first half of 2024

• Yay!
Reactions: JessIsAlive
JessIsAlive

JessIsAlive

Sep 9, 2024
You can't be sure if people actually ctb without reliable witnesses. I could post right now I'm going to ctb and come back with another account.
you're right, i take everything with a grain of salt
somebody did a list of suspected successful suicides in the last months somewhere here on SaSu, but i can't find it now:(

never mind, got it! here's the list for first half of 2024
thank you, this is just what i was looking for

Downdraft

Downdraft

Alive and kicking btw
Feb 6, 2024
Copycat effect.

People can see a list and either need to belong or think it's cool, and may increase risk of dying or appear as if we idolized suicide.

I advise against it.

Davey40210

Davey40210

Even the stars make room for new stars
Sep 3, 2024
I don't agree with the copycat effect. We are all on a CTB website so the argument that the list would instigate people to CTB could equally be used as an argument to ban the site altogether.

I am worried about the other impact though - this site is really important to a lot of people and I wouldn't want some short sighted journalist to use it to demonize this website.

Reactions: willitpass, MentalFuneral and Praestat_Mori
Myforevercharlie

Myforevercharlie

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020
I don't agree with the copycat effect. We are all on a CTB website so the argument that the list would instigate people to CTB could equally be used as an argument to ban the site altogether.

I am worried about the other impact though - this site is really important to a lot of people and I wouldn't want some short sighted journalist to use it to demonize this website.
Pro choice website...

Reactions: damienlerone03, willitpass and rozeske
Tommen Baratheon

Tommen Baratheon

1+1=3
Dec 26, 2023

The copycat effect is real. I remember a course I sociology at uni, over 25 years ago. Whenever a suicide was mentioned in the paper or on TV figures would rise in that region. If the person committing suicide was famous = more suicides.

Davey40210

Davey40210

Even the stars make room for new stars
Sep 3, 2024
The copycat effect is real. I remember a course I sociology at uni, over 25 years ago. Whenever a suicide was mentioned in the paper or on TV figures would rise in that region. If the person committing suicide was famous = more suicides.

The question is if publishing a list of suicides on a website which has people that already want to CTB anyway would have the same effect. I cant answer that question with any data but my expectation is that it won't matter. The copycat effect is probably be more pronounced when exposing people who normally would have no exposure, but dont think the effect would be that major for people who are already on this website.

I guess there is also the overall question whether you think CTB is bad, so even if there is a copycat effect, should we try to prevent copycats. I don't have the view that CTB is bad. I only have the view that botched attempts are bad and educating people on it so they are effective and don't suffer unnecessarily is more important than stopping them.