V

Virgo

Arcanist
Oct 3, 2018
Why do some people obsessively joke about killing themselves. I find it really funny, but it gets old when people joke about it all day. Do these people have any desire to actually die?

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, scales, Schopenhauer and 2 others
T

Taylored

I've figured it out
Sep 20, 2018
It's a taboo topic so people love to use it for shocking pro-lifers. Some people are serious and some are just going for the shock value of throwing that out.

Reactions: UnwaveringFire, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, scales and 1 other person
vvvvv

vvvvv

Just call me "v" or "vee"
Oct 17, 2018
Shock humour for the sake of shock isn't funny, but using it to amplify a joke can definitely be funny.

Of course, to each their own. I'm very careful where I drop casual suicide jokes (I do that with people I'm comfortable with), but otherwise I don't want a single damn soul to even get a mild hint about my struggles.
That, and for a lot of people it's actually a very sore topic if they had a family member or something who ctb. I don't feel the need to stir unnecessary sh!t.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, RottingFlowerBrains, scales and 4 others
V

Virgo

Arcanist
Oct 3, 2018
Shock humour for the sake of shock isn't funny, but using it to amplify a joke can definitely be funny.

Of course, to each their own. I'm very careful where I drop casual suicide jokes (I do that with people I'm comfortable with), but otherwise I don't want a single damn soul to even get a mild hint about my struggles.
That, and for a lot of people it's actually a very sore topic if they had a family member or something who ctb. I don't feel the need to stir unnecessary sh!t.
Yeah, I wouldn't ever joke about it as I don't want to bring up that subject. Wouldn't want someone thinking I was suicidal. Yeah if someone had someone recently ctb that would bring up bad memories.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
oldgray

oldgray

i wish i'd melt with the snow
Oct 19, 2018
online i joke about my depression a lot, it's a way to cope and get some attentions too.
even though i try not to judge people because i don't know how they really feel, it's clear some just exaggerate their (normal) sadness or want to follow what, at this point, is a trend.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, scales, worldexploder and 2 others
jaemus12

jaemus12

Earth’s Parasite
May 11, 2018
I always joke about me dying. The cause of my death is always ridiculous though.

I dun give a fuck. I don't tell people directly that I want to ctb though.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Iwant2sleepforever and Virgo
M

millefeui

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2018
I mean, joking about death in general is a little weird, but think about it... People joke about rape

RAPE

Of all things. One of the most horrible crimes and things a human can do to another, yet people joke about it.

I just gave up trying to understand "humor".

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Sayo, Trashcan and 4 others
sumbumedguy

sumbumedguy

some princes don't become kings
Oct 9, 2018
I liked it and I said it ironically every one would laugh abit nd roll eyes and no one would suspect a thing. But I also made sure no one affected by someone going was near by if they were the kind of people who couldn't take a joke.another nice horrid joke I did was for one of my friends who was depressed but I didn't feel actually wanted to go was to say "hang in there " when we were done talking. It would usually result in a laugh and a hug she's better now I think. I've become pretty hikakimori though

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Virgo
vvvvv

vvvvv

Oct 17, 2018
I mean, joking about death in general is a little weird, but think about it... People joke about rape

RAPE

Of all things. One of the most horrible crimes and things a human can do to another, yet people joke about it.

I mean I mostly joke about my own up and coming suicide. I don't delight in other peoples' suffering, especially not heinous crimes compared what is basically a human right. Apples and oranges.

It's a part of self-deprecation as part of a survival mechanic, at least in my case. Joking about other people killing themselves is not OK imo, unless it's about Doug Stanhope's mother or something.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Chloe, Iwant2sleepforever and 2 others
V

Virgo

Arcanist
Oct 3, 2018

RAPE

How is rape one of the worst things someone can do?

LifeSick

LifeSick

Eat the rich or die!
Sep 20, 2018

Because it can cause lifelong mental problems? I can't think of much that is worse than rape, can you? Besides torture.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Going Home, RottingFlowerBrains and 3 others
ignominia

ignominia

O Rose thou art sick.
Oct 6, 2018

Briefly: Dispossess your will over your body, it depersonalizes you, it dehumanize you and makes you a mere object.
How awful can be that? (rhetorically)

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Going Home, RottingFlowerBrains and 5 others
V

Virgo

Arcanist
Oct 3, 2018
Because it can cause lifelong mental problems? I can't think of much that is worse than rape, can you? Besides torture.
Briefly: Dispossess your will over your body, it depersonalizes you, it dehumanize you and makes you a mere object.
How awful can be that? (rhetorically)
I never said it wasn't bad, just that it is nowhere near as bad as plenty of other shit.

LifeSick

LifeSick

Eat the rich or die!
Sep 20, 2018
I never said it wasn't bad, just that it is nowhere near as bad as plenty of other shit.

What kind of other shit?

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Chloe
vvvvv

vvvvv

Oct 17, 2018
"What's worse" is a bit of a moot point considering where we are lol
People also deal with shit differently, people suffer and deal with suffering in different ways.

Who has it worse is unimportant. The kind of physical and mental violence inflicted on other people by rape is seriously messed up, I think we can all agree that the discussion safely can be left at that.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Going Home, RottingFlowerBrains and 4 others
V

Virgo

Arcanist
Oct 3, 2018
"What's worse" is a bit of a moot point considering where we are lol
People also deal with shit differently, people suffer and deal with suffering in different ways.

Who has it worse is unimportant. The kind of physical and mental violence inflicted on other people by rape is seriously messed up, I think we can all agree that the discussion safely can be left at that.
Yeah sorry I argue about semantics a lot.

Reactions: LifeSick and vvvvv
LifeSick

LifeSick

Eat the rich or die!
Sep 20, 2018
locking some one up
torture
murder
etc.

I agree with vee that it's a moont point, but I would argue that murder is not worse than rape. At least you can't suffer if you're dead...

Reactions: Going Home and Chloe
V

Virgo

Arcanist
Oct 3, 2018
I agree with vee that it's a moont point, but I would argue that murder is not worse than rape. At least you can't suffer if you're dead...
Sure, but that's only because you hate your life or have put a lot of thought into life.
I would agree as I think eradicating all sentience is probably a good thing.

Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
Yes it is

Reactions: Virgo
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
Why do some people obsessively joke about killing themselves. I find it really funny, but it gets old when people joke about it all day. Do these people have any desire to actually die?
I have a lot of the same thoughts

Reactions: Virgo
ParamitePie

ParamitePie

Experienced
Oct 11, 2018
In my case, comedy is a coping mechanism. I've always made lame jokes to deal with bad situations. So, of course I joke about my mental state. The way I see it, I'd rather make people happy, or at the very least bring a smile to their face, rather than drag them down to my level. Those people might just be going for shock humor, or telling you in a roundabout way that they intend to kill themselves.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, RM5998, Virgo and 2 others
worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
Sometimes I "joke" about my own misery and will to die as a coping mechanism. It's not really funny but sometimes I just get to the point to were I gotta take my mind someplace else.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Virgo and wxtyubidi7y
W

wxtyubidi7y

Student
Jun 30, 2018
I have a very black sense of humour and I find it hilarious when topics like depression and suicide are used in comedy, so long as the joke is coming from someone who actually relates to those things. It's a bit like cheekily acknowledging issues that are usually suppressed in society's hollow culture of optimism.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, betteroffdead, skitliv and 2 others
worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
I have a very black sense of humour and I find it hilarious when topics like depression and suicide are used in comedy, so long as the joke is coming from someone who actually relates to those things. It's a bit like cheekily acknowledging issues that are usually suppressed in society's hollow culture of optimism.
I do as well. My favorite kind of comedians are the ones who take something seemingly valuable, then take it the fuck apart and expose how stupid it is using the most hilarious semantics possible. I love dark comedy that makes you think.

My favorite comedians are Bill Hicks and George Carlin.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and wxtyubidi7y
Lil_Intro_Vert

Lil_Intro_Vert

she/they
Oct 15, 2018
I just use it as a way to vent, but only around people who make similar jokes or i know will be comfortable with it. Sometimes it's hard to tell when others are just joking or actually feel suicidal like me, but i try not to assume cause you never know what someone else is going through, and I wouldn't want to accuse someone of making suicidal jokes without being suicidal when they actually are ya know

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Virgo
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018

RAPE

This is from the same person who said that depression can be cured/prevented by sex. And people wonder why those suffering from either violent trauma or mental illness feel victimized by society.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Sayo and Trashcan
Trashcan

Trashcan

Trash
Aug 31, 2018
I mean I guess if it helps them cope, but people also take it suicide, depression, etc less seriously as a result.

RAPE

So true

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Sayo