• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

slothturtlebro

slothturtlebro

Jun 13, 2019
Anyone did serious suicide attemps around 15-25 years old and now about 10 years later are happy that they didn't die/regret their suicide attempts?

O

oopswronglife

Elementalist
Jun 27, 2019
Lots of people attempt at some point, and then go on to live happy or ok lives where they are glad they didn't succeed.. I don't think you will find them here as they are off doing that. We have a skewed view here that is NEVER gets better. And people out there have a sewed view that is ALWAYS gets better. It's a little of both.

InkBlot

InkBlot

What Do You See?
Sep 17, 2018
I regret living, more than I regret trying. Medical bills, and the treatment Ive recieved from (ex)friends, and family has made me regret failing.

But, I'd rather hate myself for failing, than hate my life for never having tried. Its easier to live with falling out of bed, than never getting out of bed and living with fear.

This isn't to say, I'm worse or better off now. I simply am. Perception is all we can base our moments on.

C

CuriousAboutThis

Uncertainty in life uncertainty for the next life
Dec 30, 2018
Anyone did serious suicide attemps around 15-25 years old and now about 10 years later are happy that they didn't die/regret their suicide attempts?
For now I am glad I haven't die during all my multiple suicide attempts the people who helped me family and friends who are either scared of me or happy that I haven't died are protecting me or testing me because they only claimed I attempted suicide only once but in reality they know I attempted more than once I have been drugged medicated and sleep hypnosis and sodium Pentothal in hopes that I would forget but I am smarter than that they won't tell me the truth until they are ready to confront me.

T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
I first attempted when I was 15; I'm 49 now. Ten years ago I would have said I was happy I hadn't succeeded at 15. Now I'm not so sure.

I suspect the "do you regret not succeeding?" is a fraught question, and the answer will be entirely dependant on the current mindset of whoever you're asking. I've had very, very good times in the years since I first attempted, but here I am now, after a downturn, and it's easy to look back and say, "well shit; I should have tried harder back then."

If you're asking for yourself whether it's worth it to stick around, that's a question only you can answer. The people here will, by our nature and our current wretched predicament, give you a pessimistically skewed reply --but that doesn't mean we're right.

I would personally say that if you're even asking that question you have uncertainties about whether to die now and the answer is yes, it's worth it to stick around until you have NO doubts about ending your life.

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
For me, it's hard to say, I certainly had times that I wished to die, and there were times where it is very circumstantially based, meaning that if things had turned out otherwise, then I would have died one way or another. On a day to day basis, I would say I don't mind if I died (peacefully and under my own terms), but at least I don't despise life enough to want to desperately die.

You can think of it like I have some sort of personal criterion (which will vary from individual to individual) of whether I will stay and live, or die. During the last 10 years of my life, I had about 6-7 independent times where I could have died had things gone differently than what I expected/wanted.

slothturtlebro

slothturtlebro

Jun 13, 2019
Thank you for your replies guys, they were really good!

GeorgeJL

GeorgeJL

Enlightened
Mar 7, 2019
I attempted several times maybe about 8 years ago by now and I am glad that it never worked.

Beautifulletdown

Beautifulletdown

Brightburn
Jul 6, 2019
I attempted at 16 and I'm sorry that I didnt succeed. If I knew life would be such a disappointment and heartache I'd have let myself go. I'm an utter failure and invisible to the people in my life. I wish everday not to wakeup only to start another fucked up day.

M

Morphinekiss

Enlightened
Jun 8, 2019
My serious attempt was when I was 20. It's been 12 years and I've had some amazing experiences since then, and some awful ones. I'm still glad I lived.

Black_Knight

Black_Knight

Jul 10, 2019
Yeah. I attempted when I was 16. My life went way uphill after I turned 18, I had a lot of experiences that I thought were shut off to me because ??? ("that's not for me", I don't know). They were valuable just to have so that I knew that they were possible. But here I am now and it's kind of like being back where I started. Nothing added up to anything, maybe I didn't put in enough effort, I didn't take the right risks. It's like catching a wave only to fall flat on your face, or something like that. I've never surfed I don't know what that analogy means.

There's one time in particular where I wish I really had died because of how right it felt. But the rest was alright. I'm just not sure what to do now and I'm way more pain and risk averse than before.

P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
attempted at 15 or so. gotten worse since, and i really don't know why i haven't attempted since.

Reactions: catharticEscapism