9amar

9amar

Aug 20, 2024
Are there some people who voluntarily assume a hopeless mindset in order to overcome their survival instinct ?
i find it hard to relate to, is it necessary in order to go through with painful methods ?

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc
finallydone

finallydone

Aug 18, 2024
No, not in my case at least, i was on the verge of attempting to jump off of a 30m long tower 3 times in my life, and trust me when i tell you that i didn't even have a .0001 micrograms of hope at all of those times, but even with all of that every time i was up there i couldn't handle the fact that i will be gone forever, and my body will start to shiver and freeze at the thought of getting closer to the ledge

• Hugs
Reactions: broth0100, -Toplox- and Unknown21
RosebyAnyName

RosebyAnyName

Staring at the ceiling for 6 hours
Nov 9, 2023
To my knowledge, SI is more of a physiological reaction. Even if you feel more hopeless, it won't stop your brain from having instinctual reactions. For example, you can be as depressed or hopeless as you want, but your hand is always going to pull away from a hot element automatically / without conscious input, just like it's going to try and "not die" regardless of conscious input.

Reactions: esalucolom-wojaqter, LifeQuitter, Forever Sleep and 1 other person
9amar

9amar

Aug 20, 2024
No, not in my case at least, i was on the verge of attempting to jump off of a 30m long tower 3 times in my life, and trust me when i tell you that i didn't even have a .0001 micrograms of hope at all of those times, but even with all of that every time i was up there i couldn't handle the fact that i will be gone forever, and my body will start to shiver and freeze at the thought of getting closer to the ledge
but do you think the inverse could be true ? where some has plenty of hope for the future but just chooses to relinquish that oppurtunity regardless ? could they overcome their survival instinct ?
To my knowledge, SI is more of a physiological reaction. Even if you feel more hopeless, it won't stop your brain from having instinctual reactions. For example, you can be as depressed or hopeless as you want, but your hand is always going to pull away from a hot element automatically / without conscious input, just like it's going to try and "not die" regardless of conscious input.
i'm aware yes, but does one's instinctual reactions become less severe depending on their mindset ?

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I don't think you can just "voluntarily" assume a hopeless mindset. Losing all of one's hope happens organically, over time, a chip here, a chip there until, eventually, hope dies. And what it takes to kill hope is dramatically different from one individual to the next. Hope is really a fickle bitch. Hope leaves when hope is good and ready to leave, if she ever does.

pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
Yeah but we will all be gone forever anyway. we will all die anyway and not exist forever. so is it that most people don't understand this?

if i fully understood that i will be gone forever and not exist anyway why would i fear that? I didn't exist for 13.8 billion years. the brief time i spend here in this hell call living will be over as in a blink of an eye compared to the trillions of years in the universe's time scale . what is a few decades to the universe which will go on for trillions to the quadrillion power years and i won't be existing all that time never again

Reactions: Talvikki
finallydone

finallydone

Aug 18, 2024
but do you think the inverse could be true ? where some has plenty of hope for the future but just chooses to relinquish that oppurtunity regardless ? could they overcome their survival instinct ?
well another word that has the same meaning as survival instinct is "death anxiety", which again in my own experience has decreased lately, but that might be because i chose to delay suicide until i get some few things done
what's left depends on so many factors, like how much thoughts do you have before setting up the attempt, how painful the method is and how much time does it take for death/unconsciousness to occur

p.s : i think your definition of hope is different to mine, because by hope you mean having the opportunity to turn your life around, whilst my definition of hope is being free from suffering whether i turned my life around or not
so with that i could say it's possible that someone might have "hope" and still overcome their survival instinct/death anxiety

Last edited:
Reactions: Unknown21