Marktheghost

Marktheghost

Paragon
Feb 20, 2020
A few weeks ago I got a note through my door from 1 of my neighbours complaining about noise from my flat. I was asked not to wear wooden sole slippers/shoes because she could hear me walking around in the flat, and she claimed to be able to hear hammering sounds and voices ( she thought it was possibly a TV or radio). There are no hammering sounds in my flat, I never watch TV or listen to the radio, and my slippers don't look or feel like wood to me.

About 4 or 5 weeks ago, I found 2 notes that had been put through my door saying stop blasting your music every evening, and claiming it could be heard all over the building. Other than listening to music quietly, or with headphones on, I'd only listened to 1 album on 3 evenings in the previous 2 or 3 weeks (and 1 evening the album was only 28 minutes long). And I never listen to it loudly. And how would he know if it could be heard all over the building? I live on the middle floor of a 3 floor block of flats, with 2 flats on each floor.

I haven't dared listen to it other than quietly or with headphones on since then. On Friday, I got another note through my door, which I'll type out exactly how it was written: "DUDE, SHUT UP!!! I've tried asking nicely but I'm fed up now!! Nobody wants to hear you blasting muic or singing for hours! Especially in the evening when people want to relax! And you won't even open the door when I knock so I have to keep sending notes. Just STOP!!! Have some consideration!!!" He's got a strange idea of asking nicely. Note the use of the word blasting again, implying that it's far louder than it actually is. So basically I'm listening to it with headphones on, and now he's complaining about me singing! And of course the reason I don't hear him knocking on my door is because I've got my headphones on. Oh and I very rarely sing, and when I do I only sing quietly. I'm far too shy to sing loudly, and far too depressed to sing often!

None of the notes have said which flat they came from or who wrote them. I suspect the 1st note came from the flat below, because of what they said about walking on the floor. I've heard banging on the ceiling 1 or 2 evenings when I've been listening to music, so I suspect the others have come from the flat above me. The most recent note is abuse isn't it?

Am I going to end up scared to even listen to music in my own flat?

So I need some support and advice and things.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: OpheliasFlowers, WornOutLife, noname223 and 3 others
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you šŸ•Æļø Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
Do you think there's a possibility it is that loud? If you are having hearing problems, you won't notice. And its possible you didn't notice/it didn't occur to you that you do.
I have hearing problems but I'm fairly confident it's just the way my disorders are.
I might be wrong but I can see it as a possiblity.
You could always get a hearing test and if it comes back fine tape a note to your door "results of test. Nope I can hear just fine and my music isn't that loud thank you for your concern about my well being" :pfff:

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: LADY007, Wisdom3_1-9 and nopointofliving
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
Maybe the sound is coming from another flat but he's mistaken it as coming from yours.

Reactions: WatermelonMel and newave3
WatermelonMel

WatermelonMel

Melon Master
Aug 19, 2019
Ugh why don't neighbors just keep to themselves? And it's not like you can stop walking.

Try avoiding music temporarily or using earbuds and see if the complaints continue, maybe they are making a mistake.

Reactions: LADY007
Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
My advice for what it is worth?

If you are positive the noise is not coming from your flat:

~ Save every note

~ Ask other neighbors (ONLY if you are comfortable with them and doing that), if they too are getting these types of notes. That will tell you if this person is targeting you, or if this is a general pattern of harassment by this neighbor.

~ Go to the police to see what can be done to stop the harassment if this is an option. (Personally, I would rather handle it myself and not involve the police; however, I have already been attacked to many times by too many unstable people so I would not risk it). Also, I would go to the police because it might mean that this person is suffering from some sort of condition (ie, hearing things that are not necessarily there) and in need of help. Let the police help them.

First and foremost - make sure you are safe in taking any action.

Reactions: demuic
W

WornOutLife

惞惃惈
Mar 22, 2020
Omg, my friend, I so understand what you mean!

I've lived alone for almost 9 years and I never received ANY complaints but some months ago, a neighbor left a note complaining about my loud music too but even worse...!!!
I hadn't seen the note and then suddenly, my intercom started ringing constantly and when I started talking, no one answered!
Then, I went downstairs but they were already gone.

I'll never know who was the one complaining about my music but I just wanted to say I was sorry but that that wasn't the way to solve things.
He/She could've knocked my door and asked me to do turn down the volume politely...

Since that day, I'm scared of playing loud music and having the cops be sent to my flat...

#GoddamnNeighbors!!!

I've been a saint for 9 years and they can't forgive me just for one night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rayzieka

Rayzieka

Not Really Here
Apr 28, 2021
Just to weigh in a bit, it might be a mistake and someone other than you is actually causing the noise.
But Im fairly familiar with psychosis and hearing loud noises and the sounds of people singing or screaming along with knocking or what could be heard as stomping are often heard around my house while everyone is sleeping. Theres a chance your neighbor isn't aware of some condition yet too.
Because that seems really bizarre that you wouldn't hear the same thing their hearing perhaps from nextdoor.

Last edited:
V

virginiawoolf

Feb 7, 2021
this sounds tough.
i wonder if you are experiencing memory loss. dissociative episodes or carbon monoxide poisoning.
or if the neighbour is hearing voices, as suggested above.

Last edited: