P

Popopo

Apr 12, 2021
Like the title says, if I fill up a balloon with helium, exhale fully, inhale the helium and pass out, does this mean the Helium tank I bought is sufficient to do me in?

Thanatonaut

Thanatonaut

My time is coming.
May 17, 2019
Like the title says, if I fill up a balloon with helium, exhale fully, inhale the helium and pass out, does this mean the Helium tank I bought is sufficient to do me in?
Not exactly. One breath of helium alone probably wouldn't make you pass out anyway. Then there's the fact that the helium that has been diluted with air still might have less oxygen in it than the 21% you're used to, so you still might get lightheaded or pass out. And if you go watch kids on YouTube passing out breathing from balloons, you'll notice they nearly always are trying to recite the Gettysburg Address or something long, requiring multiple drags off that balloon.

Reactions: LADY007 and Greenberg
sighingspider

sighingspider

Hi, How are you.
May 28, 2020
Pure oxygen is lethal, breathing it in would kill you since of oxygen poisoning. However, you can't keep breathing in air although you can say that oxygen is in the air. Only concentrated elements could killl you. The helium sold commercially is not pure, or concentrated. So it won't kill you.