T

Toptock

Experienced
Jun 6, 2020
I recently had an interview with a new job, a nice job. My current job is the source of a lot of my frustration and on a whim I interviewed for a job in the career field i desired, and originally went to college for, but had to drop out due to expense over. I have an opportunity to get out, and I'm writing out a denial email to them because I'm not even sure I'll still be around to finish training.

I see and understand the hypocrisy. I just can't currently pull myself out.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 17331, GoodPersonEffed and Deleted member 14573
W

who doesn't matter

Student
Jun 17, 2019
I know it might be too late but try considering the opportunity. Everyone on this forum will eventually walk down the death's corridor. None of us has anything to lose and it could mean the same for you. So, why not give it a shot? What's there to lose anyway.

Reactions: Deleted member 14573
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I wonder, is it possible you experience a pattern of rejecting what you desire when it is available? No judgment on that, only a matter of being aware. Imo, it's good information, even if one isn't sure what to do with it at this time.

Is it also possible that there is a pattern of seeing only two options, either remaining in what destroys you, or destroy yourself? This can be a perfectionist pattern, in which perfection is not achievable (no such thing exists anyway, but the pattern doesn't allow that reality), so not even trying for perfection, and perhaps also going for the opposite, is a way to reinforce the false reality of the impossible by weakening or even annihilating oneself in despair over it, as if one is not capable, is lacking, and/or is undeserving of perfection. Perfection is not possible, except perhaps in moments, but not sustainably, therefore it is not a matter of capability or merit.

I've been studying Stoicism for a while, no worries if this isn't your thing, but the OP and my response reminded me of something I read:

It would be foolish to regard small improvements with contempt when it is so rare to find any other kind. So if Stoics seek great things but get only part way there, the discrepancy should not cause them to be thought of as hypocrites. They aimed high, fell short, and did well.

- Ward Farnsworth, The Practicing Stoic