T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I've heard from a few people that my situation will likely improve in a university comparative to how it is now, and i just hope that this is true.

Currently, my situation is less-than-ideal. The semester just started and I'm at a pretty bad community college for financial reasons (very poor, couldn't afford all 4 at university, but later found out aid would've likely covered it but too late by then). I'm in my last semester here before I transfer, and ALL of my classes this semester are virtual. Not a single one is in-person. Some have wacky requirements like instead of doing an short essay virtually in one class, they want me to hand-write it, take a photo of it, and submit that. Not quite sure why but whatever. Also, since everything is virtual, I am missing out on the social aspect. In the 4 semesters I'll spend here, I've had 19 classes (i think?) and out of those 19, 3 have been in-person, the rest have been virtual. I would like to also note I didn't necessarily have a choice either, they literally just don't have in-person offerings for most and the few ones they did, it was at campuses >1 hour each way. The closest campus is 30 mins each way which is tolerable. I could even do 45-50, but the second it starts to get over an hour, I tap out, especially if it's for only one class.

I've already been accepted at a University pending a final transcript before I'm completely enrolled, which should automatically send through once my final grades this semester have been posted, and I'm set to transfer in the Spring. I would like to have 3 or so classes in person, I wouldn't mind a few virtual still, it's nice to have a little flexibility. My main thing is I don't want to be on campus 5 days a week, 2-3 would be okay, it's 45 mins away so I just don't want to do that drive and I also don't want to move (college town so rent isn't the greatest).

I would also like to involve myself in clubs or something similar, just to try and squeeze more social interaction. I get virtually no social interaction at this point, so a few like-minded friends wouldn't hurt. I'll definitely have a lengthy conversation with admissions about stuff like clubs, internship opportunities for my major, on-campus jobs for side money to break even on gas and food, and maybe save a little, etc. And I hope it's different enough and I'm able to get an on-campus job (affording everything would likely be a little difficult and I'd prefer on campus so I can fit my schedule around my classes), because I don't think I can do another 4 semesters, not including this one, if they're going to be like this.

• Hugs
Reactions: Grimpoteuthis, wCvML2, Praestat_Mori and 2 others