Student
Jun 27, 2023
Does counselling actually help?

Reactions: Kit1, Redacted24, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

On the rollercoaster of sadness
Oct 17, 2023
I've been doing counselling for 16 years and it is the reason why I'm still alive. For me it did help, a lot, to the point where I'm still doing it.

If you find a therapist you like and you're able to open up completely, and they're a good therapist, there's a lot of chances of success.

Reactions: ForsakenEcho, hikikomorizombie, Kit1 and 3 others
Little_Suzy

Little_Suzy

Amphibious
May 1, 2023
Professional counseling is beneficial, as is tele-health, which allows for therapy-at-home. I recommend weekly.

No trauma-dumping on family/friends, which improves relationships.

No need to worry about gossip—it's confidential.

Therapists can help with resources and provide a judgment-free zone.

You paid for the hour, so vent or say anything.

Therapists can provide "sick notes" for academic and employment purposes.

Medical records document therapy sessions

Reactions: ForsakenEcho, Kit1, Redacted24 and 2 others
Labyrinth

Labyrinth

There is no escaping the burden of existence
Jan 8, 2024
I don't know. Empty words thrown to the wind solve nothing. It would be easier if there was someone with me to cooperate with, but a therapist only acts on the basis of a profitable contract, in the end he will not be a true friend.

Reactions: doneforlife, Kit1, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
A

a.fool

Student
Jun 27, 2023
I've been doing counselling for 16 years and it is the reason why I'm still alive. For me it did help, a lot, to the point where I'm still doing it.

If you find a therapist you like and you're able to open up completely, and they're a good therapist, there's a lot of chances of success.
But the thought of sharing everything to a stranger is kinda weird and scary
Professional counseling is beneficial, as is tele-health, which allows for therapy-at-home. I recommend weekly.

No trauma-dumping on family/friends, which improves relationships.

No need to worry about gossip—it's confidential.

Therapists can help with resources and provide a judgment-free zone.

You paid for the hour, so vent or say anything.

Therapists can provide "sick notes" for academic and employment purposes.

Medical records document therapy sessions
What's sick notes?
I don't know. Empty words thrown to the wind solve nothing. It would be easier if there was someone with me to cooperate with, but a therapist only acts on the basis of a profitable contract, in the end he will not be a true friend.
Are you on therapy right now?

Reactions: Kit1
ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

On the rollercoaster of sadness
Oct 17, 2023
I know what you mean but it's a necessary weirdness...You don't have to share everything right off the bat, nor would I advise that. Think of it like an interview where you're evaluating whether or not the therapist is up to your standards and if they react and respond in a way that resonates with you. Then once you're feeling more comfortable, you can share more. The therapist should guide the session anyway so you don't need to think too hard about it.

Reactions: a.fool, Kit1, Redacted24 and 1 other person
Slow_Farewell

Slow_Farewell

Warlock
Dec 19, 2023
It does. Cliche but true, that sometimes, we just need someone to listen.
It's a two way thing, though. Like @ForgottenAgain said, they must fulfill certain criteria, if they dont meet what youre looking for and still proceed you're just wasting your time.

• Hugs
Reactions: Kit1, a.fool, Redacted24 and 2 others
UsagiDrop

UsagiDrop

“What a beautiful day to haunt the earth.”
Apr 27, 2023
This is more of a personal question, I think, and everyone's perspective will be colored differently by their experience with therapy and counseling. The real answer imo is it can work, and it also might not work, but it's always worth a try.

It does feel weird to open up to a professional about what's on your mind. That's okay; it's only natural to feel that way, after all, and they are individuals who are trained and equipped to guide you into opening up. They are ready and willing to listen to you about anything. Most of the time, it does take a bit of searching to find one that you're compatible and comfortable with. Until it clicks with someone, it's going to feel odd. But if you do find a good professional, it's more than worthwhile.

I used to attend therapy. After seeing different counselors and therapists, I decided to see a psychologist and got the best results with that. It helped, and although I wouldn't say I'm exactly doing well right now, psychotherapy did allow me to identify issues within myself, gave me a name for what I was experiencing, and taught me a little bit about how to live with my diagnosis. I would be worse off without it for sure. When I have the means, I definitely would like to find another therapist and continue working on myself.

If you have a desire to try it, I think it's worth a shot. It may feel weird at first but it can be beneficial to your mental wellbeing.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Kit1, a.fool, Redacted24 and 2 others
A

a.fool

Student
Jun 27, 2023
This is more of a personal question, I think, and everyone's perspective will be colored differently by their experience with therapy and counseling. The real answer imo is it can work, and it also might not work, but it's always worth a try.

It does feel weird to open up to a professional about what's on your mind. That's okay; it's only natural to feel that way, after all, and they are individuals who are trained and equipped to guide you into opening up. They are ready and willing to listen to you about anything. Most of the time, it does take a bit of searching to find one that you're compatible and comfortable with. Until it clicks with someone, it's going to feel odd. But if you do find a good professional, it's more than worthwhile.

I used to attend therapy. After seeing different counselors and therapists, I decided to see a psychologist and got the best results with that. It helped, and although I wouldn't say I'm exactly doing well right now, psychotherapy did allow me to identify issues within myself, gave me a name for what I was experiencing, and taught me a little bit about how to live with my diagnosis. I would be worse off without it for sure. When I have the means, I definitely would like to find another therapist and continue working on myself.

If you have a desire to try it, I think it's worth a shot. It may feel weird at first but it can be beneficial to your mental wellbeing.
Glad to know that it's worth a try!
That's what I wanted to know and hear:)

• Hugs
Reactions: Kit1, Praestat_Mori and UsagiDrop
S

SMG08ABUSER

I got no iPhone
Dec 20, 2023
I haven't had any official counseling by a medical professional, but back in high school I reached out to a school counselor about my suicidal thoughts. It helped me a lot at the time. During my graduation ceremony, I saw my counselor for the last time and he gave me a very long hug. It's a moment I will always remember for the rest of my life.

Reactions: Kit1 and a.fool
A

a.fool

Student
Jun 27, 2023
I haven't had any official counseling by a medical professional, but back in high school I reached out to a school counselor about my suicidal thoughts. It helped me a lot at the time. During my graduation ceremony, I saw my counselor for the last time and he gave me a very long hug. It's a moment I will always remember for the rest of my life.
Aww

Reactions: Kit1
Little_Suzy

Little_Suzy

Amphibious
May 1, 2023

What's sick notes?

Are you on therapy right now?

The truth is that if people with mental illnesses want to live as comfortably as possible, they will have to make some accommodations in their lives.

The only way to prove your need for accommodations is to have a therapist evaluate you and verify your claims. The therapist's notes in your medical record document your weekly life.

When you need extra help at work, school, or when applying for disability benefits, your therapist will vouch for you by writing a letter on your behalf.

Reactions: a.fool
hikikomorizombie

hikikomorizombie

Ouch
Jan 15, 2024
i have been to 10 therapists in my 21 yrs of life, & none of them have helped me even a lil bit. they all tell u to do the same things. journal, daily exercise + walks, going outside, meditation, breathing exercises, mindfulness, being present, etc. i've even had 1 suggest manifesting to me (never saw them again, obv). in my experience they're good for venting, but that's rlly it.

however for some ppl therapy can be really helpful. supposedly. i've never met 1 of those ppl before but i heard they exist, lol. i recommend exhausting all options before deciding to kys though, & therapy's one.

Neverfeltdeader

Neverfeltdeader

Can you hear me drift away?
Dec 12, 2021
It depends what for. I have been in counseling since I was 16 and it did help for a few years. It all depends on what you need it for and if you find the right therapist (it's a lot like dating). I just don't think counseling helps if you're suicidal because there are a lot of things you can't tell them without ending up in inpatient.

Labyrinth

Labyrinth

Jan 8, 2024
i have been to 10 therapists in my 21 yrs of life, & none of them have helped me even a lil bit. they all tell u to do the same things. journal, daily exercise + walks, going outside, meditation, breathing exercises, mindfulness, being present, etc. i've even had 1 suggest manifesting to me (never saw them again, obv). in my experience they're good for venting, but that's rlly it.

however for some ppl therapy can be really helpful. supposedly. i've never met 1 of those ppl before but i heard they exist, lol. i recommend exhausting all options before deciding to kys though, & therapy's one.
I already suspected therapeutic ineffectiveness. But I'm considering taking a test.

penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me 💙
Nov 1, 2023
It works better if you find a good one, but those are rare. Most of them are iffy, they can be a bit impersonal and only know how to tell you to do certain things like journal, cognitive behavioral therapy, and the like. Also, set your expectations realistically. They're like personal trainers, they make you exercise your brain, but can't do the exercising for you. If you come in knowing what you want and use your counselor more like a tutor rather than a teacher, you'll get better results.

Also, I'd suggest not opening up completely at first, and evaluating whether or not the counselor is worth continuing sessions with. Sometimes these counselors can be really big assholes, and you don't need everyone knowing your business while you're still trying to settle down and find the one that you like.

Reactions: a.fool and Labyrinth
Labyrinth

Labyrinth

Jan 8, 2024
It works better if you find a good one, but those are rare. Most of them are iffy, they can be a bit impersonal and only know how to tell you to do certain things like journal, cognitive behavioral therapy, and the like. Also, set your expectations realistically. They're like personal trainers, they make you exercise your brain, but can't do the exercising for you. If you come in knowing what you want and use your counselor more like a tutor rather than a teacher, you'll get better results.

Also, I'd suggest not opening up completely at first, and evaluating whether or not the counselor is worth continuing sessions with. Sometimes these counselors can be really big assholes, and you don't need everyone knowing your business while you're still trying to settle down and find the one that you like.
Excellent. I will use your tips.

A

a.fool

Student
Jun 27, 2023
The truth is that if people with mental illnesses want to live as comfortably as possible, they will have to make some accommodations in their lives.

The only way to prove your need for accommodations is to have a therapist evaluate you and verify your claims. The therapist's notes in your medical record document your weekly life.

When you need extra help at work, school, or when applying for disability benefits, your therapist will vouch for you by writing a letter on your behalf.
Mental health is a taboo here!

Ohh. I can understand. I tried taking help from a psychiatrist and was on meds but he didn't help much.
It depends what for. I have been in counseling since I was 16 and it did help for a few years. It all depends on what you need it for and if you find the right therapist (it's a lot like dating). I just don't think counseling helps if you're suicidal because there are a lot of things you can't tell them without ending up in inpatient.
In my country, nobody arrests you for being suicidal. It's like nobody even cares.

Thank u so much for this!

Last edited:
Little_Suzy

Little_Suzy

Amphibious
May 1, 2023
Mental health is a taboo here!

Where is 'here'?

Discrimination against disabled people is illegal in most countries, even if it is considered taboo.

If you want social services or accommodations for your disabilities, you'll need to provide medical documentation to back up your claims.

Your therapist's notes on your medical record provide a consistent, legal record of your disabilities.

sammiechzxv

sammiechzxv

just a girl who's kinda sad
Aug 7, 2023
It depends on the person. For me, yes

A

a.fool

Student
Jun 27, 2023
Where is 'here'?

Discrimination against disabled people is illegal in most countries, even if it is considered taboo.

If you want social services or accommodations for your disabilities, you'll need to provide medical documentation to back up your claims.

Your therapist's notes on your medical record provide a consistent, legal record of your disabilities.
Depression or anxiety isn't seen as a disability in my country. People don't care about someone else's mental health. People don't talk about mental health in my country.