Cloud Busting

Cloud Busting

Formerly pinkribbonscars
Sep 9, 2023
I feel so weak. I hate that I can't handle my problems on my own.

It's strange, because I would never look down on anyone else for going. If anything, I would be proud of them for working on themselves.

Yet I hate myself for having to go. I just feel inferior. I hate being mentally ill. It makes me feel flawed. I wish I could help myself independently.

Really it makes no sense. I'm forcing myself to continue going because I keep dropping out of therapy and obviously that hadn't done me much favors. I'm making myself stick with this one.

It's honestly more weak to not swallow my pride and accept that I can't overcome my problems on my own. Idk why I grapple with these feekings.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: WhatPowerIs, dreamscape1111, Lostandlooking and 9 others
Enlighten

Enlighten

I am here for you
Sep 29, 2023
I feel like almost everyone is always harder on themselves than they are on others (myself included).
You are not inferior for going therapy. It takes courage to try and make yourself feel better again.
I'm hoping you can keep it up & i'd also love to talk with you!

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: AllCatsAreGrey, Clasrink, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Therapy is just a tool like any other. Is there shame in driving a car to get somewhere instead of walking? Or using a washing machine or dishwasher instead of washing by hand?

Even if you go to therapy you're still doing the bulk of the work yourself.

You're showing a lot of empowerment by assessing what you need and doing something about it.

No one can do everything alone even if it is just being taught something.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Lostandlooking, WAITING TO DIE, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
Foreverix

Foreverix

Aeternum Vale
Sep 18, 2023
It's honestly more weak to not swallow my pride and accept that I can't overcome my problems on my own. Idk why I grapple with these feekings.
Having awareness of this is huge. In my Jeebus loving days, I remember a quote we used from the Bible: "A cord of three strands is not easily broken." My guess is that few people recover substantially alone. So it sounds like you're on the right track, as painful as it may be.

That quote is from Ecclesiastes, which starts out declaring that everything is meaningless. Go figure.

• Love
Reactions: Cloud Busting
Akanea

Akanea

Student
May 24, 2023
I feel so weak. I hate that I can't handle my problems on my own.

It's strange, because I would never look down on anyone else for going. If anything, I would be proud of them for working on themselves.

Yet I hate myself for having to go. I just feel inferior. I hate being mentally ill. It makes me feel flawed. I wish I could help myself independently.

Really it makes no sense. I'm forcing myself to continue going because I keep dropping out of therapy and obviously that hadn't done me much favors. I'm making myself stick with this one.

Try to draw a parallel with a disease. Would you say that you feel ashamed of not being able to overcome it on your own if you had trouble breathing/coughing and had to go see a doctor for help? Would you say that if you broke your leg and needed physical therapy to be able to walk again? The disease of the mind are no less real than the disease of the body, it's often even worse because they are often less visible, asking for help is not something to be ashamed of.
I hope you find a way to forgive yourself, you are not weak for needing help.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Lostandlooking, Cloud Busting, WAITING TO DIE and 1 other person
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Giving therapy a chance is nothing to be ashamed of as long as you have hope it can help you with your recovery process. Seeking help isn't wrong. If you and the therapist know what problems have to be addressed, therapy can show you how to deal with them. I wish you all the best.

• Love
Reactions: Cloud Busting, WAITING TO DIE and Foreverix
moondazed

moondazed

ex nihilo nihil fit
Oct 14, 2023
It's really hard to find a therapist that really suits you. It can be really valuable to have a place to drop all of our woes and concerns safely, but sometimes that's just not enough.

I stopped seeing my therapist a couple months ago. After a year with her she just kept bringing everything back to my childhood, and trying to analyze it, as if I'm not well aware of the roots of my problems. It just made me feel worse and gross after every session… so I stopped.

I'm hoping to eventually find a therapist that can more act as a coach, call me out on my shit, and give me practical advice to move forward opposed to just dwelling on the why

• Hugs
Reactions: AllCatsAreGrey, Cloud Busting, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
Mental illness and the problems that it brings are not your fault.
It's like calling someone with no legs weak because they can't walk.
I honestly wouldn't be too hard on yourself.

• Love
Reactions: Cloud Busting, Praestat_Mori and moondazed
Cloud Busting

Cloud Busting

Formerly pinkribbonscars
Sep 9, 2023
Therapy is just a tool like any other. Is there shame in driving a car to get somewhere instead of walking? Or using a washing machine or dishwasher instead of washing by hand?

Even if you go to therapy you're still doing the bulk of the work yourself.

You're showing a lot of empowerment by assessing what you need and doing something about it.

No one can do everything alone even if it is just being taught something.
What a great way of looking at things! I value your perspective.

Having awareness of this is huge. In my Jeebus loving days, I remember a quote we used from the Bible: "A cord of three strands is not easily broken." My guess is that few people recover substantially alone. So it sounds like you're on the right track, as painful as it may be.

Thank you!

Typically I shame myself for feeling ashamed, or procrastinate for feeling ashamed/fearful/embarrassed, which leads to more shame and further procrastination. Some weird circular logic right? This approach clearly isn't working. I'm trying to instead get to the root of my shame, so I can overcome it and find a practical solution. Old habits die hard, so it will take time to stick I think.

I like that you point out how painful it is to seek help. I think that's another reason I usually avoid it. So I'm trying to remember that while it may be painful in the short term, it will probably help me cope with pain in the long run. Avoiding pain works short term, but it makes shit even worse later on.

That quote is from Ecclesiastes, which starts out declaring that everything is meaningless. Go figure.
I plan to re-read the Bible to heal religious trauma. It's my version of exposure therapy I guess. I'm not reading it in any particular order. It's funny you mention Ecclesiastes. I intend to read it when I'm done with psalms, precisely because it argues life is meaningless lol.

I stopped seeing my therapist a couple months ago. After a year with her she just kept bringing everything back to my childhood, and trying to analyze it, as if I'm not well aware of the roots of my problems. It just made me feel worse and gross after every session… so I stopped.

I don't blame you for ending services with that therapist. I had a psychiatrist like that in the hospital. I wasn't a fan either.

I've had a lot of sugary therapists in the past, if that makes sense. Different strategies work for different people, but neither of those approaches click for me.

I'm hoping to eventually find a therapist that can more act as a coach, call me out on my shit, and give me practical advice to move forward opposed to just dwelling on the why

Seems we prioritize the same approach. Good luck finding the right fit! I know how agonizing and arduous of a process that can be.

I'm very lucky. My first therapist out of the hospital is exactly like what you described here. He wanted to talk about religion, and I didn't want to, but I realized he was right. Religious trauma dampens my mood. He doesn't push anything on me though. He lets me process things on my own time.

I love therapists who call me out on my bs lol

I'd be a fool to fire someone who is a perfect fit. I can't be too hard on myself tho. Therapy isn't exactly fun. Lol

It's like calling someone with no legs weak because they can't walk.

There are people who would, but typically they're bigots, so why should I care?

Thanks everyone. This was like group therapy in a way hehe

• Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Foreverix, WAITING TO DIE and 1 other person
WhatPowerIs

WhatPowerIs

Paragon
Jun 19, 2022
I hated going to counseling too because the people who have hurt me throughout my life are not seeing counselors and are doing just fine.

• Aww..
Reactions: LoiteringClouds