N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
There is a guy in my self-help group who wants to be friends with me. He became more and more obstrusive. He really pressured me. I have an issue with him. My main concern is he is into drugs. And not just a little bit. He glorifies drugs on a daily basis. He sings the praises of taking drugs all the fucking time. How unique and great it feels. Bro someone in his family has schizophrenia and he still takes psychoactive drugs. I told him that's really stupid and dangerous. And he just does not stop taking them. He told the group last time he stopped taking drugs. Then he said at the same time that he consumed acid last weekend. I told him that's a contradiction. And he said weill it was only a small amount of acid. WTF.

I am a hardliner of drugs. I stopped the friendship with someone because he smoked a joint when I was a teenager (twice). I am so glad I never took drugs. I would have blamed myself for my psychosis for the rest of my life and my big self-hatred would be insanely more severe. I am bipolar and people in manic episodes do risky things. I certainly don't need someone offering me drugs in this context. But I think even when i was psychotic and manic I was severe anti-drugs. And some therapists were impressed by that. I also get the feeling he would be someone to pressure to take some drugs. I told him he is a massive red flag for me. And now he is really pissed at me. Lol. Being anti-drugs was one reason for me to be a conservative as teenager.

I am still not sure about freewill. But I think it is good to show him the consequences of taking drugs before it is too late. Yes taking drugs has bad conssequences. And the consequences I showed him were rather mild. Yes I am weird. But my teenager me would be proud of me for this decision.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Vivir_O_No and Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think it's wise to follow your instincts. Ultimately, we do have to look out for our own safety. From what you've said, he obviously doesn't see taking drugs as a big deal and also from what you've said, it seems entirely conceivable he could either use them while you are around or, ask you to participate. I haven't touched drugs either- asides from alcohol and I've not done that in a big way either. It's not something that appeals to me. I don't think I could trust myself on them either.

• Hugs
Reactions: noname223
Downdraft

Downdraft

Alive and kicking btw
Feb 6, 2024
He really pressured me. He is into drugs.
Be blunt. Don't submit to this people. You should have control over who you want to have around and if someone keeps pressing, they don't respect you.

Never feel bad about this people. They never have enough. They drain all the energy out of you. For your own sake stay away by whatever means you have and never be afraid to make him feel rejection.

Of course, drugs make every relationship even more dangerous.

• Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: noname223 and avoid
avoid

avoid

⦿ ⦿
Jul 31, 2023
Be blunt.
Hilarious pun. :))

I agree. Sometimes you need to frank with someone, but phrasing and timing matters too. The message should be clear but try let him down softly.

I think it's very reasonable to not want to associate with someone for drugs related reasons.

Vivir_O_No

Vivir_O_No

Dec 10, 2023
There is a guy in my self-help group who wants to be friends with me. He became more and more obstrusive. He really pressured me. I have an issue with him. My main concern is he is into drugs. And not just a little bit. He glorifies drugs on a daily basis. He sings the praises of taking drugs all the fucking time. How unique and great it feels. Bro someone in his family has schizophrenia and he still takes psychoactive drugs. I told him that's really stupid and dangerous. And he just does not stop taking them. He told the group last time he stopped taking drugs. Then he said at the same time that he consumed acid last weekend. I told him that's a contradiction. And he said weill it was only a small amount of acid. WTF.

I am a hardliner of drugs. I stopped the friendship with someone because he smoked a joint when I was a teenager (twice). I am so glad I never took drugs. I would have blamed myself for my psychosis for the rest of my life and my big self-hatred would be insanely more severe. I am bipolar and people in manic episodes do risky things. I certainly don't need someone offering me drugs in this context. But I think even when i was psychotic and manic I was severe anti-drugs. And some therapists were impressed by that. I also get the feeling he would be someone to pressure to take some drugs. I told him he is a massive red flag for me. And now he is really pissed at me. Lol. Being anti-drugs was one reason for me to be a conservative as teenager.

I am still not sure about freewill. But I think it is good to show him the consequences of taking drugs before it is too late. Yes taking drugs has bad conssequences. And the consequences I showed him were rather mild. Yes I am weird. But my teenager me would be proud of me for this decision.
You are absolutely right. I remember one of my friends pressured me to use weed, which I did... By the way I'm not against drugs, I actually like to use them to get to know my inner world more than for pleasure.

• Love
RosebyAnyName

RosebyAnyName

Staring at the ceiling for 6 hours
Nov 9, 2023
I've used drugs before (and since stopped), but honestly druggies can be pretty insufferable. He probably doesn't see how weird he's being because people with drug problems usually use it to avoid confronting their own flaws. People with drug issues tend to struggle with self-reflection, it's unlikely he's going to have an easy time learning that you don't want to hang out with him even after pressuring you.

Don't do it, he's weird and you are not required to give him your time.

• Love