J

jeffleesb

Aug 25, 2023
I am a lonely and depressed young adult. I feel the biggest lacking in my life is not having self discipline. What are some ways I can gain more self discipline?

SnakesButNoLadder

SnakesButNoLadder

"Don't trip on what is behind you" • UK
Jan 15, 2024
good question, i say break down what you want to achieve as much as you can into steps

try to manage your time to and limit how things negatively affect you

probably not a great place to ask a question like that, but i hope i helped

to be clear, im not one to practice what i preach

Reactions: CTBKnight
Upvote 1
Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

"Life's a mirror, but 'whose' mirror?"
Mar 23, 2023
In what area of life you lack the disscipline, or what does that mean? Do you lack boundaries, goals, motivation, energy, ect?

Upvote 0
SexyIncél

SexyIncél

🍭my lollipop brings the feminists to my candyshop
Aug 16, 2022
Justin Sung mentions riding your motivation level. Various tactics, I highly recommend taking a quick look at this link to see if it helps

You shouldn't fight yourself much. You may have to accept that your peak motivation level's 50% or whatever. After all, the human brain is vastly better at forgetting than remembering... and I suspect it's also better at relaxing than acting

So you just remember what's important; and you just act on what reduces suffering & increases pleasure

Last edited:
Reactions: Abandoned Character and sserafim
Upvote 0
J

jeffleesb

Aug 25, 2023
In what area of life you lack the disscipline, or what does that mean? Do you lack boundaries, goals, motivation, energy, ect?
Getting motivation to do what I need to better myself like studying. Or even just tasks like go to sleep on time.
Getting motivation to do what I need to better myself like studying. Or even just tasks like go to sleep on time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

"Life's a mirror, but 'whose' mirror?"
Mar 23, 2023

Well, some people use supplements and other products for that. For example, have you heard of Adderall? I wouldn't touch it myself, but there is one example that some people use. Personally, I prefer natural products - right now siberian ginseng and black tea are enough for studying and training.

Some inspiration:

And then there are herbs suitable for falling asleep or relaxing.

Upvote 0
ResilientAF

ResilientAF

My whole life has been a lie!
Feb 7, 2024
Little wins. Start small and every little task gives a bit of a dopamine hit. Don't look at a task in its entirety, little steps at a time. Timer, work for five minutes, then take a break for one. Then work for another five minutes etc. I get bored trying to complete a task to entirety so I tend to jump from one thing to another. Stuff gets done. Not ideal but brain is so burnt out it's a wonder anything gets done. Start small and chip away. If you need a break, take it. Tackle what you think you can manage. Write down each thing you manage. Gives a bit of a boost when you see it down on paper. Have a treat, just something small to look forward to, for when you've tackled something or worked throughout the day on something. All the best.

Reactions: jeffleesb
Upvote 0
CTBKnight

CTBKnight

Taking the path of least resistance
Feb 20, 2024
Identify what is getting in the way. Oftentimes, at least for me, social media (YouTube, Discord mostly) is getting in the way so I am trying to spend less time on them. All the stuff about "little wins" is absolutely true. This has been a constant struggle for me and I am not living this to the best of my ability, but baby steps are necessary. Good luck!

Reactions: jeffleesb
Upvote 0