B

Beachedwhale

Mage
Mar 3, 2021
I believe having a fixed mindset rather than a growth one for my whole life led me to the brink of suicide. A fixed mindset is one in which one believes one has attributes, such as intelligence, certain bodily aspects like back pain, even personality that cannot be changed and which thus dictate their lives, while a growth mindset is one in which one believes that one can grow and change. A growth mindset is conducive to success, it goes without saying.

It seems to be easier said than done, because even now my brain says "you are in your late 20s, with a ruined life, and your brain is no longer plastic as it was when you were a bit younger, and you cannot really change and your physical fatigue won't improve and you can never have those opportunities back you lost" but I wonder how true all this really is and ironically I realise that this is a fixed mindset about having a fixed mindset lol.

Wondering if anyone else has given this any thought about how to change this and if this has affected your life.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Sometimes what others would say as a 'fixed' mindset is actually the realistic one. It is better to view things the way they are than to live under a delusion. Positive thinking doesn't work for physical health problems, it doesn't get rid of symptoms. I have been told to change my mindset, but others who said that to me weren't suffering with my conditions.

I think if somebody has been through a lot of suffering, it is simply hard to change the way we think, as our brain becomes wired in a certain way as life has caused us to become mentally exhausted.