okdoomer

okdoomer

Oct 2, 2020
TL;DR Here's what you should do: emphasize GERD, acid reflux, heartburn, and/or issues with the GI tract. The migraines are SECONDARY, if you mention them at all!!!

Here's what you DON'T DO (what I did, lmao):
I'm getting desperate for an anti-emetic. I've already got SN and everything else I might need. I've got a shipment of domperidone stuck in Switzerland doing god knows what. And so I thought: oh, I'll go the GP route. Browsed a couple of threads here. I came to the conclusion that it must be simple. I'll just say I've got migraines triggering nausea that's inciting a gag reflex / vomiting, and that I took meto before for the same problem and it helped. WRONG. Here's a message I sent to my GP, adding some other details (the migraines being anxiety/stress induced) to make it seem realistic to my medical history:

Good afternoon Dr. xxxxx,
I have a question regarding a prescription I'd like to be prescribed temporarily for some symptoms I've been having —

Fairly recently (in the past two weeks) I've been anxious and having panic attacks due to overall stress. I've been working on coping mechanisms in therapy and other calming techniques to combat this. However, the anxiety has been triggering intense migraines for me, which has brought pain I've never felt before. They stop me from getting sleep which in turn causes more anxiety and the cycle continues. I've been feeling nauseous and feeling like I would throw up and losing my appetite because of these migraines, and it affects me even after the migraine subsides.

I was looking for something to help me with the migraines so I can sleep better. Turns out my dad also has migraine problems similar to what I get when extremely stressed and he has a prescription to something called Reglan (or "metoclopramide"). I tried one of his 10mg pills before bed and it really helped, and I was able to get a full 8 hours of sleep. Of course I don't want to use his pills because he needs them too so I am inquiring if it's possible if I can have my own prescription for when I need it.

As for the sudden anxiety I've been having, I will continue working through it in therapy. Let me know if this is possible, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
okdoomer

And here's the response I got back:

Hello okdoomer,
Would recommend calling xxx-xxx-xxxx for assistance scheduling an appointment with Dr. xxxxx to discuss migraines and best plan of care.
For your safety, would advise against taking any prescription medications not prescribed for you. Unknown responses and/or possible drug interactions could occur if not reviewed and approved by a provider and pharmacist.

Thank you
Your xxxxx Care Team

Oof. So instead of scheduling an appt with my GP (which is what I'll do next, more on that later) I ended up going to urgent care today with the same story. Except I made a focal point on the vomiting (which I didn't do in my message as much) and that I can't keep my food down at night so I end up not eating at all. Basically I left that appointment with advice to take Tylenol at night and with a referral to neurology which I won't end up going to because there's no way I could lie to a neurologist. The doctor there said that Reglan was a last-course measure for migraines, because there are better treatments for that, and it's much easily prescribed for GERD or GI tract problems, not migraines. Though I tried to take away the focus on the migraine aspect that's all she really kept asking me about, although I made it clear that all these symptoms occurred simultaneously, and that my stomach was causing me distress. I also told her that I was prescribed Zofran in the past which made me too anxious (a lie), to which she was surprised because with anxious individuals, Reglan often increases anxiety and Zofran decreases it. Whoops. So that failed. I'm sort of glad I didn't see my actual GP that I've been seeing for years, because now I have a chance to fix my story.

So, that's that. Just a tip if any of you are like me, sick of waiting for a shipment overseas for an anti-emetic that may or may not come...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, Kbeau, GoodPersonEffed and 3 others
F

fearmenot

Oct 25, 2020
I've read on several posts you don't need the Meto. I've read some ppl say it's ok to take dramamine if it has meclizine in it. And I've seen some ppl say they're plan is to just take a couple ibuprofens

Reactions: Kbeau and Meditation guide
okdoomer

okdoomer

Oct 2, 2020
I've read on several posts you don't need the Meto. I've read some ppl say it's ok to take dramamine if it has meclizine in it. And I've seen some ppl say they're plan is to just take a couple ibuprofens
I've seen that too. Although that's a last resort for me. I like having good odds of succeeding (and more peacefully) than not. I'm unsure of what the consensus is with alternatives...

Reactions: Disappointered and _Minsk
F

fearmenot

Oct 25, 2020
I've seen that too. Although that's a last resort for me. I like having good odds of succeeding (and more peacefully) than not. I'm unsure of what the consensus is with alternatives...
I know I get anxiety from thinking I can't do it exactly as stans plan but meto is like damn near impossible without a doctor's script and I don't want to deal with doctors and taking time off work and co pays lol

Reactions: okdoomer
R

ronigail9

Student
Oct 5, 2019
You might have an easier time getting quetiapine (psych drug). That can replace meto safely.

Reactions: okdoomer and Metalhead
B

Buffy5120

Death is vital
Mar 19, 2020
I know I get anxiety from thinking I can't do it exactly as stans plan but meto is like damn near impossible without a doctor's script and I don't want to deal with doctors and taking time off work and co pays lol
Meto is for people with gastroparesis or stomach problems. Im prescribed meto. Idk why people are saying its for migraines. Just tell your doctor that you have been throwing up after eating and that you cant hold any food down for weeks. You have to make sure to tell them that you throw up everyday and cant eat food anymore

Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, GoodPersonEffed and dropdeadfred
Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
Information much appreciated!

Reactions: BeautifulMosaics and dropdeadfred
D

diyCTB

Mage
Oct 28, 2018
Metoclopramide gave me low-medium headache instead when I was going through regimen.