C

charcoalcat

Apr 17, 2018
I've seen clips of folks just walk towards the edge of a rooftop / or climb over the railing of a bridge, and simply jumped. No hesitation, no pondering. It's like their soul has left their body. How does one reach a state like so?

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, maneose, Ms.Melancholy and 4 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I understand as to me personally that method sounds so terrifying, I wish it's not so difficult to be permanently free from this existence as to never suffer again is all I wish and hope for, I only wish for some peace.

• Hugs
Reactions: charcoalcat, Hero Remeer and Alexei_Kirillov
willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
I'd imagine you either have to be so high on adrenaline or so numb you can't feel a thing. That's one method I know I would never be able to bring myself to do, unless I suppose I was having a full on suicidal panic attack.

Reactions: lachrymost, etherealspring, charcoalcat and 2 others
Hero Remeer

Hero Remeer

Sep 22, 2024
Oh, wow, good question, and as you put it "It's like their soul has left their body"
I don't know, I'd really like to know as well
if the soul left its body and if the soul is associated with life itself, maybe the person had a perception where the body no longer serves the soul to be able to develop life
Regards, be well

• Love
Reactions: charcoalcat
Alexei_Kirillov

Alexei_Kirillov

Missed my appointment with Death
Mar 9, 2024
The pain of going back to life outweighs the pain of jumping. As David Foster Wallace said:
The person in whom its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire's flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It's not desiring the fall; it's terror of the flames.

• Informative
Reactions: Anri_wants_peace, pthnrdnojvsc, Reflection and 4 others
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Watching video has shown me this.
You may think about it and plan it but it looks like most jumpers approach the edge, pause for a bit then go. It looks more spontaneous in the last moments. I suspect it is not unlike the approach to most methods, just that jumping really has no back out option. Hanging seems to follow this pattern, but there is a percieved chance to get out of it. Some do.

When the will is strong enough, people will do whatever is needed.

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, Ms.Melancholy, NoHalfMeasures and 1 other person
enduringwinter

enduringwinter

flower, water
Jun 20, 2024
I guess they reach a point where they just understand instead of having to think about it. I view suicide and childbirth similarly, only some of us agonise over creating a life and ending a life

AllTheseQuestions

AllTheseQuestions

Sep 19, 2024
I don't know how they do it. I'm too much of a bottle job to jump.

Marco77

Marco77

À ma manière 🪦
Aug 18, 2024
Many times it is acrophobia, but disorders that do not allow you to tolerate great heights can coexist. We have many beliefs and those who are not afraid will have convinced themselves that they don't have to be and certainly challenge heights very often. An identity is built over time and a therapist can help. It's easier for us to do what we're used to doing. We drink it every day and therefore drinking Nembutal seems calm to us. Hanging ourselves is another matter and we prefer partial suspension. I think it's a question of mental training.

Emeralds

Emeralds

Aug 29, 2024
They have reached the point where they are certain that they really want to die. They are willing to do anything to get there. They have already made their peace with their decision before they got there.
They don't hesitate to think about it or look down because they know that they will back out if they do.

Reactions: charcoalcat and pthnrdnojvsc
nihilistic_dragon

nihilistic_dragon

Dead already. Just need to dispose of my body now.
Aug 6, 2024
Not sure. I don't lack determination but I am awfully clumsy so although I've considered jumping, I decided against it because I am sure I would somehow end up messing up and jumping badly lol.