Trashcan

Trashcan

Trash
Aug 31, 2018
I've been in the mental hospital before and no electronics were allowed. I believe these people are telling the truth, I'm just wondering how they're able to get on the web when they're in the mental hospital.

Reactions: lv-gras, useless, Justanotherconsumer and 1 other person
S

solacely

Apr 4, 2018
I'm wondering the same thing

Reactions: Salvacion, lv-gras and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
M

Morning Angel

Useless Broken Wings
Aug 8, 2018
It seems the rules vary from territory to territory. I've noticed users who get sectioned in the UK have times when they are released and able to go back home but I don't know if that's the case for everyone. Sure wish I could have used my phone when I was in psych jail! Would have helped pass the time much better than the forced group "therapy."

Reactions: ScaredOfLife, lv-gras, akosineenee and 5 others
K

killmepls

Aug 19, 2018
They do not allow electronics (especially anything with a camera!) because they do not want anyone filming their crimes against humanity.

Reactions: Salvacion, lv-gras, GodKnows and 3 others
L

Ln42

Ihm/iai
Jun 13, 2018
In the UK we are allowed phones just not chargers so they have to charge them for you.
In terms of leave, if you are classed as a 'voluntary' patient then after a period of time and depending on your behaviour they allow leave to see how you cope etc........ it is when you are working towards discharge.

Reactions: agreement, lv-gras, GodKnows and 3 others
PatKat

PatKat

Meh
Aug 9, 2018
No electronics were allowed at any of mine either... not sure maybe right before they go in?

Reactions: lv-gras, Justanotherconsumer and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
M

midastic

Student
Sep 1, 2018
Rules of Psych Wards vary per country. Some psych wards allow you to use a computer for a certain amount of time. I think the UK has a lenient rule on electronics since most of the people that are sectioned in the UK are able to type here. I could be wrong but I have never seen anyone from the US post from a psych ward.

Reactions: CentreMid, lv-gras, akosineenee and 3 others
M

Morning Angel

Useless Broken Wings
Aug 8, 2018
Rules of Psych Wards vary per country. Some psych wards allow you to use a computer for a certain amount of time. I think the UK has a lenient rule on electronics since most of the people that are sectioned in the UK are able to type here. I could be wrong but I have never seen anyone from the US post from a psych ward.
They took my shit away right when I arrived there (I'm America) and zip tied it. Such a bummer. However, I saw recently a person on reddit wrote their suicide note and posted it the day they attempted. So I think it may vary from state to state here in the US too.

Last edited:
Reactions: lv-gras, akosineenee, midastic and 1 other person
sky7

sky7

Student
Aug 21, 2018
Depends on where you are. My facility (in the US) does not allow electronics because of HIPAA (patient privacy laws) and safety concerns. The first hospital that I was a patient at had computers that we could use for like an hour a day but we weren't allowed to use our personal phones. The second one didn't even have that...I was allowed to send a few texts and make a couple calls before the emergency room people took my phone

Reactions: lv-gras, akosineenee, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
Susannah

Susannah

Mage
Jul 2, 2018
In Norway, it's more individually- based. No charger or internet allowed in
compulsory admission (forced?). Isolation and medication are the most used methods in psyciatric hospitals. Max 3 weeks by law, if you behave.

Reactions: lv-gras, Morning Angel and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Brokenanddeadinside

Brokenanddeadinside

Arcanist
Aug 8, 2018
When I was in one in the us they locked up my phone was only allowed to get numbers off it.

Reactions: lv-gras and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
S

St.Jimmy

Aug 31, 2018
I was in hospital last year (UK ) and was allowed to keep my phone but no charger ,as someone else said you had to keep handing it in to be charged ,also no smoking is allowed anymore (including vaping ) and no aerosols , ironically I managed to keep my belt on though (at least for the first couple of days )

Reactions: lv-gras and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
U

useless

left
Aug 30, 2018
They do not allow electronics (especially anything with a camera!) because they do not want anyone filming their crimes against humanity.
No, it's more that they don't want patients getting more stressed out by outside communications when they're supposed to be recovering.

GodKnows

GodKnows

What lies ahead
Jun 28, 2018
I was allowed to use my phone from 2pm to 8pm and I could also leave the hospital for weekends.

Reactions: ScaredOfLife
O

Oyashiro-sama

Student
Aug 16, 2018
I was also years ago and electronic devices were not allowed.

Reactions: lv-gras, GodKnows and Tiburcio
P

Phro

Student
Sep 1, 2018
Here in the States, they've always confiscated my phone before I entered the psych ward.

Reactions: lv-gras
L

lv-gras

fledermausßßßßßßßß
Jul 27, 2018
In Norway, it's more individually- based. No charger or internet allowed in
compulsory admission (forced?). Isolation and medication are the most used methods in psyciatric hospitals. Max 3 weeks by law, if you behave.

sounds like suck

Reactions: weedoge
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
In my last stay it was the same (chargers locked in cupboard but phones allowed, and yes there was wifi internet. I had no phone so I had literally nothing).

My first stay was under 18s ward and we were allowed chargers, cables, electronics but no internet. We only had things taken off us if we were a risk (ligatures etc). So I just watched dvds all day every day. Although now that I recall there was an "education" department and I got on facebook using a friends proxy (not blocked because it wasn't indexed and was hosted by my buddy), then shared this around with all the other patients. Guess I've been fighting mental health establishments longer than I realised.

I genuinely wish I had my phone when I was in hospital last time because I'd literally have media that could go on the local news. I've said it all before here but they were fucked. Staff... so... ugh I wish I could hurt them honestly.

Reactions: CentreMid, killmepls and lv-gras
Caustic Cardinals

Caustic Cardinals

Enlightened
Sep 1, 2018
I'm legally allowed my mobile every were i go, ADA laws.

F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
I've been in the mental hospital before and no electronics were allowed. I believe these people are telling the truth, I'm just wondering how they're able to get on the web when they're in the mental hospital.
The mentally ill tend to be clever sometimes :pfff:

Reactions: GodKnows
Trashcan

Trashcan

Trash
Aug 31, 2018

I remember they did a really thorough screening. They made me change into a gown, searched my clothes, used a metal detector, and had me do squats and stuff. So I have no idea how someone could sneak electronics in.

Reactions: Final Escape
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
yea and honestly some of the wards are run down as fuck. Place I stayed in used magnetically "locked" doors but they opened outwards from where the patients where stayed. All it took was a little kick to open the doors and lol there was basically a building site on the other side. We got the entire ward search by going in there and taking a screw... Mental hospitals are SHIT in every way.

Reactions: Morning Angel, lv-gras and Final Escape
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
I remember they did a really thorough screening. They made me change into a gown, searched my clothes, used a metal detector, and had me do squats and stuff. So I have no idea how someone could sneak electronics in.
Hmm what country and what level secure? I guess it really depends on that, most people here when hospitalised will be on the lowest security ward tbh.

F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Jeez, sounds like u were being processed for jail.

Reactions: Susannah, lv-gras and weedoge
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Jeez, sounds like u were being processed for jail.
First place I stayed in did a pat down because young people are volatile as fuck but nothing like metal detector or a gown (gowns were given out to high risk patients though, but only very short term). We snuck some goodies once tbh after a supervised trip to the store across the road, me and my friend stuffed as many sweets in our sleeves and trousers as we could, we got a shakedown and most of them fell out but hey at least we got to keep like 2 packets...

Just tried to make a joke of the whole experience tbh, they literally have a schedule for when ur allowed to eat ur own snacks yawn, gets old after a week.

It seems the rules vary from territory to territory. I've noticed users who get sectioned in the UK have times when they are released and able to go back home but I don't know if that's the case for everyone. Sure wish I could have used my phone when I was in psych jail! Would have helped pass the time much better than the forced group "therapy."
Yeah btw in the UK we have something called authorised leave which is very situational if you're sectioned but they're basically not allowed to deny it if you're not on a section. Many people get hospitalised without section because they're basically asked nicely and if you agree to go then you can get no section.

Actually wanted to discharge myself on the night before my birthday and they kept saying "no you can't until the doctor comes in and sees you and discharges you" and they were very very vague. I almost ended up staying the night of my bday there but I read all the pamphlets and mentioned authorised leave and they immediately said "okay yeah sure" but from that point they refused to give me any real support. They're like petty af.

(sorry I stop spam)

Reactions: lv-gras and Caustic Cardinals
Clover

Clover

Experienced
Aug 23, 2018
Your allowed your phone here unless your in seclusion

P

Phro

Student
Sep 1, 2018
I've been to three different psych wards and I was never allowed access to my phone (or any electronics).

Reactions: Trashcan and lv-gras
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Your allowed your phone here unless your in seclusion
Seclusion is actually bs I never went in there but I saw the nurses who were supposed to do their obs delay them by like 10 minutes at a time and also not let them out of seclusion at the correct time, saying it's too far to walk down the corridor to let them out. Proper fucked up.

Fluke

Fluke

Sep 10, 2018
I've been in twice, UK. They certainly didn't allow phones on my ward: Checked through bags, patted you down and everything. But I snuck mine in on my second stay by hiding it in my knickers. Easiest way to bring a phone in is having friends/family bring it while they visit, as staff they don't check you after, so you can get anything in really.
I'm tempted to ctb in a ward just because the 'help' in there is so poor, they need to realise they aren't helping suicidal people, often they make us feel worse. It honesty would be pretty easy to do, in the ward I've been to.

Reactions: lv-gras and weedoge
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
I've been in twice, UK. They certainly didn't allow phones on my ward: Checked through bags, patted you down and everything. But I snuck mine in on my second stay by hiding it in my knickers. Easiest way to bring a phone in is having friends/family bring it while they visit, as staff they don't check you after, so you can get anything in really.
I'm tempted to ctb in a ward just because the 'help' in there is so poor, they need to realise they aren't helping suicidal people, often they make us feel worse. It honesty would be pretty easy to do, in the ward I've been to.
What age were you? Adolescent ward was far stricter than adult ward, but the adult ward was more neglectful and abusive.