itchygator

itchygator

Jan 17, 2024
I've been addicted to opiates 3/4 of my life. After breaking my spinal cord I ended up realizing something had to give. But I do take methadone daily to cope with pain now.

UsagiDrop

UsagiDrop

“What a beautiful day to haunt the earth.”
Apr 27, 2023
I'm sorry to hear about your struggles with addictions. I've actually been looking into AA and NA meetings myself but I haven't been able to make a commitment yet. As far as I know, the only requirement to attend either of these groups is the desire to stop an addiction. You will be working a program among others and the community seems pretty welcoming. Best of all, it seems you can shop around for meetings and groups that work for you, even if what works best for you are meetings that are held online.

Both AA and NA have websites that list the date and times of online meetings that are held over Zoom. You'll need to download the Zoom application in order to attend these meetings, and you may need to have a passcode to enter them when they begin, which seem to be listed on the page itself for the most part. If one is not, you will probably have to RSVP via email, and I assume they will then email you with more details on how to access the meeting from there. I also have heard that speaking isn't mandatory in any given meeting, so it's possible just to listen to the conversations had in different meetings until you find a group that you feel comfortable with. Many groups have different focuses to them for our comfort, ie. women and men's only groups, LGBTQIA friendly groups, groups for older and younger people, etc.

A lot of people say that things like NA and AA have a low success rate, but it's actually really normal for us to relapse over and over again as we try to recover into sobriety. It may be a long process but it's always worth it.

Reactions: Suicidebydeath and Celerity