• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
I have severe mood disorder, a blob of adverse situation would swing my mood out of the stratosphere; it ain't a good one. I have bouts of paranoia and anger, it ensues out of nowhere. I'm on lamotrigine 75 mg twice a day, pristiq 50 mg once a day, and clonazepam 2mg once a day; the meds seems to not work and I've tried many. Because of this mood swings, I can't hold a job or even pursue my tertiary education. Decisions that is influenced by my mood is always a bad one.Any idea to mitigate this mood problem.

Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

NOISE:signal
Apr 27, 2018
Any idea to mitigate this mood problem.

Just the old thing about diet ...
I stopped sugar ( well , mainline in drinks and candy ) about two weeks ago .
I think it helped .
We are all so different though .

Do you have any ideas / models , about how these mood swings started ?

Could they be triggered by memories or situations or as I said , chemicals ?

I'm 55 now and a lot more mellow than as a youth .
Back then I would mood swing pretty bad .
Are you over 25 ? The brain takes a while to settle down I think .

Sorry if this is the usual rubbish ... hope you find something to help .

edit : just seen you are 26 - duh !
still young though for the brain plasticity (?) thing .

Last edited:
Ermac

Ermac

Aug 20, 2019
I have severe mood disorder, a blob of adverse situation would swing my mood out of the stratosphere; it ain't a good one. I have bouts of paranoia and anger, it ensues out of nowhere. I'm on lamotrigine 75 mg twice a day, pristiq 50 mg once a day, and clonazepam 2mg once a day; the meds seems to not work and I've tried many. Because of this mood swings, I can't hold a job or even pursue my tertiary education. Decisions that is influenced by my mood is always a bad one.Any idea to mitigate this mood problem.

Are you able to recognize at all when you feel it coming on?

I would compare my own mood swings to being in a car going 50mph and once the mood hits the speed jumps to 100mph and if I don't do anything it's going to crash. So I have to pull over to prevent that.
In this case if you can feel it coming you try to withdraw a little and spend 10 minutes or even more depending how bad it is. Imagine the situation of what would happen if you did keep going and think of the possible consequences.

The other thing I found that kind of helps me sometimes is having someone to vent to. Ranting or venting what you feel to someone who doesn't judge kind of helps snap out of it.

• Hugs
Reactions: puppy9 and Baskol1
puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
Just the old thing about diet ...
I stopped sugar ( well , mainline in drinks and candy ) about two weeks ago .
I think it helped .
We are all so different though .

Do you have any ideas / models , about how these mood swings started ?

Could they be triggered by memories or situations or as I said , chemicals ?

I'm 55 now and a lot more mellow than as a youth .
Back then I would mood swing pretty bad .
Are you over 25 ? The brain takes a while to settle down I think .

Sorry if this is the usual rubbish ... hope you find something to help .

edit : just seen you are 26 - duh !
still young though for the brain plasticity (?) thing .
I'm gonna try the sugar thing, good suggestion. What do you mean by the brain settling down? Thanks
Are you able to recognize at all when you feel it coming on?

I would compare my own mood swings to being in a car going 50mph and once the mood hits the speed jumps to 100mph and if I don't do anything it's going to crash. So I have to pull over to prevent that.
In this case if you can feel it coming you try to withdraw a little and spend 10 minutes or even more depending how bad it is. Imagine the situation of what would happen if you did keep going and think of the possible consequences.

The other thing I found that kind of helps me sometimes is having someone to vent to. Ranting or venting what you feel to someone who doesn't judge kind of helps snap out of it.
I realized that I must follow my routine in accordance to a particular time and it's very stringent and it irks me, but it's the only way; if I veer from that time and routine my mood will just go south. Maybe time management and routine is vital. Thanks you so much

Last edited:
Reactions: Baskol1 and Ermac
ThriveOrDie

ThriveOrDie

We are already in hell
Jul 11, 2019
I used a supplement called BriteSide when I was really suicidal. I went to a doctor for physical health problems and I was such an emotional wreck he wouldn't help me he just sent me to a psychiatrist to have me drugged up when I would have been just fine if I could get help with my physical health problems. So of course they gave me drugs that I didn't think I needed, I took the supplement instead. It helped take the edge off even though I don't have a mental health problem. It has "dopa bean" (dopamine), lithium, St. Johns Wort, B6, B12, VitD, GABA, DL-Phenylalanine. I posted a video in the recovery thread about a gene mutation that about half the population has that contributes to depression, bipolar etc. It's the MTHFR gene mutation. I would recommend looking into that. If you have the mutation you need to stay away from Folic acid and use the bioavailable form of B9, methyl folate. Of course I'm not recommending going off meds but maybe supplements would help you get by until you can find a med that works.

I also try to avoid sugar/carbs. They give me really bad brain fog and make me lethargic.

Last edited:
Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

NOISE:signal
Apr 27, 2018
What do you mean by the brain settling down? Thanks

Nothing scientific.
Just the idea that the brain is still growing until around 25 (?) ...
In my own life I didn't start dealing with trauma until mid twenties , and only in a vague way ( remeber pre internet eighties ... , like I read a few books about anxiety and eastern religion and psychology and it was very relevent , but general without therapeutic result . )
It took me until 40 to address drugs , and until 53 to look at diet and smoking .
Slow learner !
Maybe you have a slight advantage of your youth and the internet ...
Remember , awareness is the key I think - but you have to 'engage' and act ...

God - this is turning into a pep talk - sorry .
(I must need one myself !)

Brain plasticity while young is what I'm getting at , before BAD habits solidify .
If you can establish some regimes that reduce your suffering now , it will
pay off in later life .

I used to cycle everywhere as a kid ... and I'm sure the exercise helped my mental state .
21 yo me gets a licence and stops exercising !
I miss it . ( I am not motivated to get on a bike )

Some of us might just have 'shitty' genes that require a bit of effort to maintain survival and enable
'thrival' ... that may just be the way it is .
There may be some other genes that accompany those ones though that are awesome , who knows .

puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
I used a supplement called BriteSide when I was really suicidal. I went to a doctor for physical health problems and I was such an emotional wreck he wouldn't help me he just sent me to a psychiatrist to have me drugged up when I would have been just fine if I could get help with my physical health problems. So of course they gave me drugs that I didn't think I needed, I took the supplement instead. It helped take the edge off even though I don't have a mental health problem. It has "dopa bean" (dopamine), lithium, St. Johns Wort, B6, B12, VitD, GABA, DL-Phenylalanine. I posted a video in the recovery thread about a gene mutation that about half the population has that contributes to depression, bipolar etc. It's the MTHFR gene mutation. I would recommend looking into that. If you have the mutation you need to stay away from Folic acid and use the bioavailable form of B9, methyl folate. Of course I'm not recommending going off meds but maybe supplements would help you get by until you can find a med that works.

I also try to avoid sugar/carbs. They give me really bad brain fog and make me lethargic.

Thank you so much for your wise and kind insight. Really appreciate it.:heart:

Pistolero114

Pistolero114

Veteran
Jun 25, 2019
If you're of a mind to believe in the Afterlife or spirituality it might be possible you've picked up an attachment of a negative entity somewhere/sometime/ somehow. I know it sounds off the wall but please hear me out; I've been"studying" the paranormal for almost ten years.

I have because quite convinced of the reality of paranormal entities and how they can interact with and sometimes control the living people in a place.

It is agreed upon by most scholars of this field in this field of endeavor that people who are severally depressed; contemplating suicide or even trying to follow through with that because a negative entity is influencing their mind.

That also holds true for people with substance abuse/dependence issues. And it is believed that individuals with anger management issues can be possessed or "jumped" if you will.

Thanks for letting me respond and voice a personal opinion. Here's hoping that meds and counseling can help you make the turn you wish to take your life where you believe it should go. It is after all; YOUR life. Good luck whatever your choice. :hug:

Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
Can I ask what are some of the things you have tried already to get a handle on the mood swings? Have you been physically screened for potential issues already? What do your mood swings consist of? Moodswings is a pretty broad term so it may help to know some specifics in what that means for you and how it disrupts your life.

Reactions: Baskol1 and puppy9
ThriveOrDie

ThriveOrDie

We are already in hell
Jul 11, 2019
I just met a guy that said he was on disability for major depression and he got better by taking vitamins. He's not sure which vitamin he was deficient in but he took a really high quality multi vitamin (there is a lot of crap on the market). He also said that he later figured out that there was some connection between his depression and Crohn's disease (affects the gastrointestinal system). He said that his depression started around the same time as the Crohn's symptoms. I advised him to eat probiotic rich foods and bone broth as that has helped me with some gut issues.

I think that toxins contribute as well. Detoxing (colon, liver and gallbladder cleansing) has helped me a lot with depression and anger issues. I do coffee enemas every day. When I first started doing them it would stir up my anger and depression and I later found out that negative emotions are stored in the liver. But it did get better and my mood is pretty even now other than being depressed about having an incurable disease.

I have also had some experience with the negative entities and attachments that Pistolero mentioned. I am not religious or spiritual but I can't deny what I have experienced. When I had entities attached to me I felt like I was in the early stages of schizophrenia. I heard them, I felt their energy, they tried to get me to do things, I felt their hatred towards me...they wanted to destroy me. My theory is that toxins make us operate at a lower frequency so it is easier for them to influence us. So after much detoxing they don't bother me much. They still try to talk to me but I just tell them to fuck off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baskol1 and puppy9
HGL91

HGL91

Warlock
Jul 2, 2019

Be careful with lamotrigine. If you get a rash from it, it can be deadly.

puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
Be careful with lamotrigine. If you get a rash from it, it can be deadly.
Deadly how? Now I'm afraid

This works for me as well... i cant take any medication.

Interesting. I can't seem to digest my food well and my bowel movement is horrible. Thanks :hug:
If you're of a mind to believe in the Afterlife or spirituality it might be possible you've picked up an attachment of a negative entity somewhere/sometime/ somehow. I know it sounds off the wall but please hear me out; I've been"studying" the paranormal for almost ten years.

I have because quite convinced of the reality of paranormal entities and how they can interact with and sometimes control the living people in a place.

It is agreed upon by most scholars of this field in this field of endeavor that people who are severally depressed; contemplating suicide or even trying to follow through with that because a negative entity is influencing their mind.

That also holds true for people with substance abuse/dependence issues. And it is believed that individuals with anger management issues can be possessed or "jumped" if you will.

Thanks for letting me respond and voice a personal opinion. Here's hoping that meds and counseling can help you make the turn you wish to take your life where you believe it should go. It is after all; YOUR life. Good luck whatever your choice. :hug:
This is a serious question. Have you seen a ghost before? That was an interesting read. I love listening to myriad kind of opinion. Just opens the world to new possibilities. Is this negative entity tangible? I've probably seen some ghost in my childhood but I don't know if it's real or imagination.
I just met a guy that said he was on disability for major depression and he got better by taking vitamins. He's not sure which vitamin he was deficient in but he took a really high quality multi vitamin (there is a lot of crap on the market). He also said that he later figured out that there was some connection between his depression and Crohn's disease (affects the gastrointestinal system). He said that his depression started around the same time as the Crohn's symptoms. I advised him to eat probiotic rich foods and bone broth as that has helped me with some gut issues.

I think that toxins contribute as well. Detoxing (colon, liver and gallbladder cleansing) has helped me a lot with depression and anger issues. I do coffee enemas every day. When I first started doing them it would stir up my anger and depression and I later found out that negative emotions are stored in the liver. But it did get better and my mood is pretty even now other than being depressed about having an incurable disease.

I have also had some experience with the negative entities and attachments that Pistolero mentioned. I am not religious or spiritual but I can't deny what I have experienced. When I had entities attached to me I felt like I was in the early stages of schizophrenia. I heard them, I felt their energy, they tried to get me to do things, I felt their hatred towards me...they wanted to destroy me. My theory is that toxins make us operate at a lower frequency so it is easier for them to influence us. So after much detoxing they don't bother me much. They still try to talk to me but I just tell them to fuck off.
Probiotics sounds promising. Thank you very much.
Can I ask what are some of the things you have tried already to get a handle on the mood swings? Have you been physically screened for potential issues already? What do your mood swings consist of? Moodswings is a pretty broad term so it may help to know some specifics in what that means for you and how it disrupts your life.
I just can't discern it, but I'll try. I've tried spending my time with sports and hobbies, but it works for an ephemeral time. Everything I've tried seems to have a short term relief. Sometimes just a rush of negative thought laced with quasi-positive thoughts filled my brain and I just can't handle it and when it happens ; it disrupts my life.I know that sounds weird. I just can't concentrate , paranoid , and anxious all over. It is happening everyday now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baskol1
HGL91

HGL91

Warlock
Jul 2, 2019
@puppy9 "A serious, life-threatening skin rash (also known as Stevens–Johnson Syndrome) may occur with the use of lamotrigine....Stevens-Johnson syndrome is a rare, serious disorder of your skin and mucous membranes. It's usually a reaction to a medication or an infection. Often, it begins with flu-like symptoms, followed by a painful red or purplish rash that spreads and blisters. Then the top layer of the affected skin dies, sheds and then heals....
Stevens-Johnson syndrome is a medical emergency that usually requires hospitalization. Treatment focuses on eliminating the underlying cause, controlling symptoms and minimizing complications as your skin regrows.
Recovery after Stevens-Johnson syndrome can take weeks to months, depending on the severity of your condition. If it was caused by a medication, you'll need to permanently avoid that drug and others closely related to it."

Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
I don't know what your exact situation is so the suggestions that follow may well have already been tried. Obviously, disregard them. None of what I say is magical cure for anything either, and is not meant that way. It is more like suggested weapons in an arsenal. An experiment you can run on yourself. Because standard responses to mental health issues are frankly utter garbage. Because rarely is it explained why this may help and be worth a shot. Feel free to roll your eyes if you like. The choice of what you do is ultimately up to you.

My first suggestion is to simply get a physical screening. The horrible invasive variety that no one wants to do. Rule out any potential biological issues that may be impacting on your mood. Things like onset diabetes and thyroid issues. Lots of mood deficits can manifest as a first response to physical issues. A lot of times this vital step is missed entirely if you present with mood issues alone. If that has happened to you then you are being failed when time could be crucial. Not trying to scare you, but it is fact that brain diseases also cause wild mood swings and oversensitivity to stimuli. If you are being fobbed off as just anxious this gets lost in the medication grind.

Lack of various vitamins can also be pretty damaging to mood especially if you stay indoors most the time and eat crap because you are too depressed to do otherwise. All of it can manifest this way. Only a physical screening will rule all this out.

My other suggestion is to maybe look into a life coach. The reason I suggest this as it is a pretty unregulated field. There is less red tape to contend with. They are not in any formal position to medicate you either. They also have a tendency to focus on the whole of a person and are more proactive and practical about it. Being the motivation you may well not have and helping you get things done. It is also just beneficial to have someone in your corner you can build rapport with that is not driven by target culture. Sure you are paying for the privilege but that is just life. probably wouldn't mention suicidal ideation though. Societies laws still apply even if they don't have a formal policy. BUt they maybe able help keep you motivated as you run your self experiments from the advice given.

You have before referenced feeling overwhelmed by stimuli. How intense is that for you? Do certain sounds make you want to smash the offending object? When you are in a crowd is it a feeling they are judging you? Or is it more a feeling of it being like chaos and being crowded and you can't handle it? Do you want social company but under your control, or do you honestly prefer being alone?

What are you most paranoid and anxious of? Have you noticed a steady decline in your concentration? If you have been on psychiatric medications for a while, they actually can damage short term memory and concentration over a long enough time. But if something biological is at work that can also do the exact same thing. Do you remember a time when you did have good concentration? Or sport gave you consistent enjoyment?

Lastly, I would consider Meditation. A misnomer is it is trying to get you to think about nothing. There are different types out there. I am not spiritual personally. I got benefit from a particular variety that focuses more on the body. My job was very stressful and it helped calm me down after wanting to set soulless bureaucrats on fire. That is my experience though and we are all different. I will link it here and maybe you could have a crack at it. At worst it is simply annoying. No harm in trying though.

This is a pretty detailed article on meditation and takes a rounded view. So you can make your own mind up.

https://endpoints.elysiumhealth.com/the-science-of-meditation-1442df86a5fb

Wish you all the best in your self experiment. I hope you can get some relief.

• Love
puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
I don't know what your exact situation is so the suggestions that follow may well have already been tried. Obviously, disregard them. None of what I say is magical cure for anything either, and is not meant that way. It is more like suggested weapons in an arsenal. An experiment you can run on yourself. Because standard responses to mental health issues are frankly utter garbage. Because rarely is it explained why this may help and be worth a shot. Feel free to roll your eyes if you like. The choice of what you do is ultimately up to you.

My first suggestion is to simply get a physical screening. The horrible invasive variety that no one wants to do. Rule out any potential biological issues that may be impacting on your mood. Things like onset diabetes and thyroid issues. Lots of mood deficits can manifest as a first response to physical issues. A lot of times this vital step is missed entirely if you present with mood issues alone. If that has happened to you then you are being failed when time could be crucial. Not trying to scare you, but it is fact that brain diseases also cause wild mood swings and oversensitivity to stimuli. If you are being fobbed off as just anxious this gets lost in the medication grind.

Lack of various vitamins can also be pretty damaging to mood especially if you stay indoors most the time and eat crap because you are too depressed to do otherwise. All of it can manifest this way. Only a physical screening will rule all this out.

My other suggestion is to maybe look into a life coach. The reason I suggest this as it is a pretty unregulated field. There is less red tape to contend with. They are not in any formal position to medicate you either. They also have a tendency to focus on the whole of a person and are more proactive and practical about it. Being the motivation you may well not have and helping you get things done. It is also just beneficial to have someone in your corner you can build rapport with that is not driven by target culture. Sure you are paying for the privilege but that is just life. probably wouldn't mention suicidal ideation though. Societies laws still apply even if they don't have a formal policy. BUt they maybe able help keep you motivated as you run your self experiments from the advice given.

You have before referenced feeling overwhelmed by stimuli. How intense is that for you? Do certain sounds make you want to smash the offending object? When you are in a crowd is it a feeling they are judging you? Or is it more a feeling of it being like chaos and being crowded and you can't handle it? Do you want social company but under your control, or do you honestly prefer being alone?

What are you most paranoid and anxious of? Have you noticed a steady decline in your concentration? If you have been on psychiatric medications for a while, they actually can damage short term memory and concentration over a long enough time. But if something biological is at work that can also do the exact same thing. Do you remember a time when you did have good concentration? Or sport gave you consistent enjoyment?

Lastly, I would consider Meditation. A misnomer is it is trying to get you to think about nothing. There are different types out there. I am not spiritual personally. I got benefit from a particular variety that focuses more on the body. My job was very stressful and it helped calm me down after wanting to set soulless bureaucrats on fire. That is my experience though and we are all different. I will link it here and maybe you could have a crack at it. At worst it is simply annoying. No harm in trying though.

This is a pretty detailed article on meditation and takes a rounded view. So you can make your own mind up.

https://endpoints.elysiumhealth.com/the-science-of-meditation-1442df86a5fb

Wish you all the best in your self experiment. I hope you can get some relief.

Thank you very much. I had my physical screening done few months ago, and its in pristine condition. I've done CT scan, MRI , and EEG test; all fine. I think my diet ,and vitamin consumption is pretty good. I do some running at 4am and body weight exercise in the evening, albeit not as often as before. Life coach ; lack money to do so. Overwhelming from stimuli from scale 1-10 is 9. I'd just hunker down on my bed till it pass. Yes I have that being judged feeling when I'm in a crowd; but It doesn't bother me as much as the feeling of chaos and crowded; I can't stand that feeling.I prefer being alone. I'm paranoid of ; can''t discern it but it's there. I'm anxious of not being able to maneuver in society , holding a job ,and earning a living. I've been mooching of my parents till now.Yup, there is a precipitated decline in concentration this past few months. I suspect my meds had a role in it. Decided to taper my benzos from 2mg and now I'm at 0.5mg. The last time I had a good concentration was, can't recall. But now after tapering my benzos , there's some progress. Meditation; I'll give it a shot. Thanks

Reactions: Baskol1