_Minsk

_Minsk

death: the cure for life
Dec 9, 2019
Why? A happy/non depressed person wouldn't even ask that question.
So what if you can't get happy again bcuz youre dealing with unfixable health issues or other things that ruin your life?..
Youre doomed to live a miserable life that won't make you happy and lack purpose. Youre likely to try to compensate for the lack of happiness by drinking or addictions which will make the bad even worse

• Hugs
Reactions: hereornot, Talvikki, LoiteringClouds and 2 others
SketchTurner

SketchTurner

Jul 24, 2024
For a long period when younger I was always confusing people because I'd be saying the word happiness and they'd be interpreting it as joy, euphoria, or pleasure. Arguing that I just needed to make that movement they ask in therapy to accept negative emotions, seek out a more neutral space, and not always seek "happiness" as they called it.
When I said happiness I just meant an existence which wasn't actively unpleasant and an experience suicide didn't look like beautiful escape in comparison to. Just something that wasn't awful.
When I later at least experienced normal neutral Ok existence later on in life here and there, it started making more sense when people kept saying you can't be happy, don't seek to be happy. They were somewhat oblivious to the neutral OK-ness which one can live a life in and that there is something else below it.

Reactions: _Minsk and avalonisburning
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
Meh, I personally care more about the cessation of suffering rather than the pursuit of happiness. Suffering and pleasure are asymmetrical as the presence of the former is far worse than the absence of the latter. I don't care about happiness at all

• Hugs
Reactions: _Minsk, avalonisburning, pthnrdnojvsc and 2 others
Randy Savage

Randy Savage

“Macho Man”
Jul 23, 2024
Being truly happy is something that can only come from your friends, loved ones, and passions. If your idea of being happy is being in perfect health or having everything you want, you're setting yourself up to never be happy

Reactions: _Minsk
yellowjester

yellowjester

Student
Jun 2, 2024
You're right, the question of prupose doesn't arise in happy people. It's almost as if the entire concept of meaning was invented by unhappy people to justify their continued existence in a state of overwhelming misery.

ThatGuyOverThere

ThatGuyOverThere

David Benatar Enjoyer
Apr 25, 2024
But those who don't exist have no desire to achieve so-called happiness, because they have never experienced it in the first place, so that when they
Are deprived of something they have no concept of, there is no want to achieve said state of mind.

Whereas you have had happaines given to you and then taken away that leaves you sad and feeling like you're missing something. You wanting to feel happy is just an artificial deprivation of an emotion that you never should have been subjected to in the first place.

Downdraft

Downdraft

Alive and kicking btw
Feb 6, 2024
Never said it was your happiness. You can still contribute to the well-being of others. Anyone who improves the world has a clear purpose to be.

On the other hand, no one should be held against their wishes if health issues prevent you from doing that, or anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: hereornot