• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

imtrying

imtrying

Apr 29, 2022
I find it interesting how many of the vocal people on this platform harbor political views that would be considered extreme or at least not in the majority. I didn't create this thread to bicker about whether or not those views are correct because that's a zero sum game that leaves everyone mad, I'm just curious what it is about this forum that draws a higher percentage of people that identify with those opinions than there are (or at least appear to be) in the general world. I'm uncertain about posting this thread and I may delete it (I don't know if I can I've never tried before). Please be respectful and remember politics shouldn't be so divisive.

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I find it interesting how many of the vocal people on this platform harbor political views that would be considered extreme or at least not in the majority.

Do you mean that it's surprising that people have difference of opinions, or that those opinions are discussed here? I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for.

Personally, I'm quite right-wing, but since I already know all the right-wing talking points, they have become stale and uninteresting, which is why I tend to be interested in contradicting views.

What's your own stance on the matter?

Please be respectful and remember politics shouldn't be so divisive.

I'm having a hard time reconciling this statement with the one above.

Reactions: newave3
imtrying

imtrying

Apr 29, 2022
Do you mean that it's surprising that people have difference of opinions, or that those opinions are discussed here? I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for.
I find it interesting that there is a greater range of political opinions, (at least as far as I can tell) than I see on more main stream websites (Twitter, YouTube, Reddit, etc.). For example, I notice more people that are against vaccines on this website. Maybe people are just expressing views they wouldn't express in other places, or maybe I just have a distorted view of peoples political opinions, idk.
Personally, I'm quite right-wing, but since I already know all the right-wing talking points, they have become stale and uninteresting, which is why I tend to be interested in contradicting views.

What's your own stance on the matter?
Wdym by "the matter"?
I'm having a hard time reconciling this statement with the one above.
Why?

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I find it interesting that there is a greater range of political opinions, (at least as far as I can tell) than I see on more main stream websites (Twitter, YouTube, Reddit, etc.). For example, I notice more people that are against vaccines on this website. Maybe people are just expressing views they wouldn't express in other places, or maybe I just have a distorted view of peoples political opinions, idk.

People who engage in discussions here probably do so out of interest, mostly, but other people may do so to persuade other about their own opinions. Keep in mind that some social media platform are quite authoritative, which means that they don't even allow the discussion of the effectiveness or safety of those vaccines.

Wdym by "the matter"?

The phrase "the matter" is equal to "the subject", so my question to you was "what's your stance on the subject?".

It seemed like you were questioning an unspecific type of political views, so I thought that it sounded contradictory to say that politics shouldn't be divisive. It's just a reaction that I had, so you don't need to defend or explain yourself. No harm was done.

Reactions: imtrying
imtrying

imtrying

Apr 29, 2022
People who engage in discussions here probably do so out of interest, mostly, but other people may do so to persuade other about their own opinions.
Yeah.
Keep in mind that some social media platform are quite authoritative, which means that they don't even allow the discussion of the effectiveness or safety of those vaccines.
I didn't think about that and that is a fair point.
The phrase "the matter" is equal to "the subject", so my question to you was "what's your stance on the subject?".
I think that people expressing their opinions is fine but when they try to push those beliefs onto other people that's harmfu.
It seemed like you were questioning an unspecific type of political views, so I thought that it sounded contradictory to say that politics shouldn't be divisive. It's just a reaction that I had, so you don't need to defend or explain yourself. No harm was done.
I see what you mean.

nixdeath

nixdeath

May 3, 2022
Maybe the ones who have more extreme views are just more vocal about it.
I would agree with this. I imagine its much more interesting to talk about obscure views than mainstream ones. On twitter for example which I used to use you'll find large communities of anarchists, communists, nazis, and those people will often show up where you wouldn't expect them. I've never met a communist or a nazi in my real life, but I've seen a lot of them online.

Reactions: imtrying
artificial_ineptness

artificial_ineptness

Nov 14, 2021
I guess some reasons could be:

(a) Suicidal people are probably more likely to think there is something significantly wrong with the world, hence think there is a need for drastic change (if there is something to change and the issue isn't more fundamental).
(b) I don't think it's too far out there to assume that mental illness is correlated with extremist views.
(c) When someone does have such views, I think it's likelier they would get depressed. I mean, people do not respect your view, you end up having to constantly get in fights with centrists and extremists of the other side, and the world is significantly different from what you think it should be (and it is probably very unlikely that anything will be done about it).
(d) Maybe SaSu is just less likely to "punish" dissidents (compared to other social contexts)?

Personally, I just wonder where these people get the energy for this and how can I get some of it??? I'm just a rotting corpse that is barely functional, so I cannot imagine constantly arguing about something I have near-zero control over. Except that esoteric views can be a mildly interesting read to pass time. Sometimes. I guess...