Schnipsel

Schnipsel

Jun 30, 2024
Hey,
I'm in Germany and the only thing I can find regarding SN *anywhere* online (that sells to anyone but companies or unis) are pickling salt containing up to 0.9% SN. Would it be possible to somehow extract the SN from that at home to get to the needed purity?

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Actually I don't think that is possible. The pickling salt you are referring to is sodium chloride, which is table salt, a completely different compound and sodium nitrite is a compound that is used for reagents (at least the ones with high purity iirc) and not the food grade version (sure SN is used for food but that variant is low in purity if I recall).

Schnipsel

Schnipsel

Jun 30, 2024
Actually I don't think that is possible. The pickling salt you are referring to is sodium chloride, which is table salt, a completely different compound and sodium nitrite is a compound that is used for reagents (at least the ones with high purity iirc) and not the food grade version (sure SN is used for food but that variant is low in purity if I recall).
Pickling salt (or curing salt) contains up to 0.9% SN (at least in Germany), so it's 99.1% Sodium chloride and 0.9% SN. My question was if it was possible to separate the two compounds enough through some process to achieve a high enough concentration of SN that it's feasible to use for ctb.

Nyotei

Nyotei

here nor there
Dec 7, 2023
Chemically speaking.
Obtaining a large amount of pure sodium nitrite NaNO₂ from pickling salt, where it is only 0.9% of the total mass, is impractical and difficult because it would require processing a vast amount of the starting material. For example, to obtain 1 kg of pure sodium nitrite, you would need to start with over 111 kg of pickling salt (given that 1 kg = 0.9% of 111 kg). Sodium nitrite and sodium chloride have similar chemical properties, including solubility, making it challenging to separate them effectively using standard methods like crystallization, ion exchange, or filtration. These methods are generally ineffective for achieving high purity separations when the target compound is present in such low concentrations, as they are better suited for cases where the target is already more abundant.

Nikitatos

Nikitatos

Wizard
Apr 10, 2024
There's many youtube videos on how to do exactly what you're describing. It's not rocket science.

T

TangentiallyAlive

Jul 3, 2024
Chemically speaking.
Obtaining a large amount of pure sodium nitrite NaNO₂ from pickling salt, where it is only 0.9% of the total mass, is impractical and difficult because it would require processing a vast amount of the starting material. For example, to obtain 1 kg of pure sodium nitrite, you would need to start with over 111 kg of pickling salt (given that 1 kg = 0.9% of 111 kg). Sodium nitrite and sodium chloride have similar chemical properties, including solubility, making it challenging to separate them effectively using standard methods like crystallization, ion exchange, or filtration. These methods are generally ineffective for achieving high purity separations when the target compound is present in such low concentrations, as they are better suited for cases where the target is already more abundant.
I looked into this quite a bit about a month ago. SN's solubility in water nearly doubles at 100 C, but NaCl's stays almost constant (it increases slightly). You could always add all of the curing salt to an amount of water that can hold the volume of SN at 100 C but not room temperature, remove excess solid (should be almost 100% pure salt), cool the mixture down to 0 C (or room temperature, but your yields would be worse), and then collect the precipitate. The solubility of SN in water changes by 752 g/l between 25 and 100 C (yes, 752 grams per liter of water). Sodium Chloride's solubility only changes by 27 g / l, meaning that if we had 1l of water that was saturated with SN and Sodium Chloride at 100 C and then cooled it to 25 C, 752 grams of SN and 27 grams of Sodium Chloride would precipitate to the bottom to be collected. this gives us a purity of 752/(752+27) = 96.5% SN in an ideal world. Of course, this assumes that you can obtain all of that salt, and manage to get all of the SN into a very small amount of water compared to the volume of the salt. Sadly I don't think this method is feasable. I'm only saying this hoping that someone smarter than me comes along and figures it out.

Last edited:
Lady Laudanum

Lady Laudanum

Adrenaline junkie
May 9, 2024
There's many youtube videos on how to do exactly what you're describing. It's not rocket science.
There's many users commenting on why it's not realistic. It's not rocket science.

Reactions: cowboypants
maniac116

maniac116

My own worst enemy🌹💔
Aug 10, 2024
Hey,
I'm in Germany and the only thing I can find regarding SN *anywhere* online (that sells to anyone but companies or unis) are pickling salt containing up to 0.9% SN. Would it be possible to somehow extract the SN from that at home to get to the needed purity?
I actually saw a formula & list of necessary utensils.
It would take a lot of equipment, precise knowledge of chemistry & chemicals to do it. But it is possible!🌹💔

Zecko

Zecko

life is killing me
Sep 2, 2024
Hey,
Komisch, ich hatte gar kein Problem von Deutschland aus SN zu bestellen....

D

do0mer

Jul 28, 2024
Hey,
If you live somewhere close to the Polish border you can try ordering SN from "Allegro". I'm not sure if they deliver to Germany tho. If they don't deliver you can choose for the parcel to be delivered to a "paczkomat" (parcel locker) and get it yourself during a fun trip to Poland

Yavannah

Yavannah

Autistic & miserable
Jul 18, 2022
Ja, vielen Dank für deine Erfahrungen. Hat mir sehr geholfen.

Hi can you tell me if the possesion of SN is legal in germany?
im asking because i have relatives in germany and im thinking about ordering it while visiting in november..