Crest33

Crest33

Sheet slinger
Nov 28, 2018
I was wondering if you are going to erase your digital past. By that i mean:
  • Deleting online accounts
  • Destroying hard drives
  • Erasing phone memory
I've thought of doing it but i don't really have that much to hide. And I wil leave no trace to my passwords. So access to online accounts is out of the question anyway. My smartphone is encrypted so that's also safe. Only the data from my hard drives of my computers could be retrieved.

There's a good change people wil look at those things after ctb. More people wondering about this?

Reactions: stargazer and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Rose

Rose

ad finitum
Nov 11, 2018
I'm probably going to end up deleting most stuff except for a few phone numbers.
I'd like to say I'd delete & physically destroy everything possible, but the chance that I survive & have to come back is... scary, in that scenario.
I'm not too attached to anything online besides my friends, though, and I definitely want the private conversations & insights into who I am to stay out of my family's view. The thought of them knowing sickens me.
On that note, the thought of them getting close to my loved ones in any way also sickens me... it's a tough decision, for sure. If anyone has any ideas for how to keep an online method of getting back in touch without like... my family catching on & talking to those people while looking through my stuff, please tell me.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Crest33
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Usually whatever is on the internet, stays on the internet... But when it comes to what is on your PC, you can easily get rid of it all.

Crest33

Crest33

Sheet slinger
Nov 28, 2018
Usually whatever is on the internet, stays on the internet... But when it comes to what is on your PC, you can easily get rid of it all.
Not entirely true for internet. Fb accounts and Google accounts Wil be deleted permanently if you do so. Like your mails, Google photos, Google drive etc.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Not entirely true for internet. Fb accounts and Google accounts Wil be deleted permanently if you do so. Like your mails, Google photos, Google drive etc.
People can add that all to an archive though.

Crest33

Crest33

Sheet slinger
Nov 28, 2018
People can add that all to an archive though.
I'm sure that in Europe practices as this are forbidden by law(Gdpr). According to this law, if someone asks to delete data, you must do it.

Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
I'm sure that in Europe practices as this are forbidden by law(Gdpr). According to this law, if someone asks to delete data, you must do it.
Yeah, it depends on where you live.

Crest33

Crest33

Sheet slinger
Nov 28, 2018
Yeah, it depends on where you live.
Gdpr is overkill tho. It brings a lot of extra work to a lot companies but also non profit organizations.

Rose

Rose

ad finitum
Nov 11, 2018
At least for me the appeal is just keeping it out of easy view, especially my family's view. You're right though, usually you can't completely erase much.

Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
At least for me the appeal is just keeping it out of easy view, especially my family's view. You're right though, usually you can't completely erase much.
I like to take the better safe than sorry approach because look at all the stuff that goes viral. It would literally be impossible to remove that stuff from the internet.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Rose
Crest33

Crest33

Sheet slinger
Nov 28, 2018
I like to take the better safe than sorry approach because look at all the stuff that goes viral. It would literally be impossible to remove that stuff from the internet.
Viral stuff is indeed on the internet for eternity. But internet isn't actually that old. Interesting how it in 100 years would be. Because searching files or things from 15 years ago can be very hard.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Rose
Empty Smile

Empty Smile

The final Bell has rung. Goodbye to all.
Jul 13, 2018
My phone and laptop will be tossed into a fire. If I'm going to hell as these religious people say, then I'm taking my phone and laptop with me, then I could stay on this site and communicate with you guys from the depths of hell.

Reactions: stargazer and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
EndofMyRope

EndofMyRope

Student
Oct 17, 2018
I'm not going to bother... honestly, I can't imagine my family even being interested enough to bother trying to go through my phone anyway.

Reactions: Crest33 and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
SadHoe

SadHoe

Nov 11, 2018
I will just delete everything and wipe clean my electronics except for my Spotify acc. I want my family to keep my phone bc it's brand new and also my computer bc it's pretty amazing. For the social media idc.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and stargazer
S

stargazer

Arcanist
Nov 19, 2018
I smash all those buttons like no tomorrow (browser history, click leave conversations, everything I wipe and regularly. Clean boxes, clean digital bins).
I do it all religiously

Eden2k

Eden2k

Experienced
Nov 20, 2018
I thought about erasing the history on all my electronical devices, but in all honesty, I couldn't care less if all my searches online, are seen/discovered by others after I'm gone. Hopefully people will know that this wasn't a decision I made lightly and thought and research had gone into ctb.

Reactions: Anubis901, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Jodes
Jodes

Jodes

Enlightened
Nov 23, 2018
I was wondering if you are going to erase your digital past. By that i mean:
  • Deleting online accounts
  • Destroying hard drives
  • Erasing phone memory
I've thought of doing it but i don't really have that much to hide. And I wil leave no trace to my passwords. So access to online accounts is out of the question anyway. My smartphone is encrypted so that's also safe. Only the data from my hard drives of my computers could be retrieved.

There's a good change people wil look at those things after ctb. More people wondering about this?
@Eden2k Same. I might be naive but what can they do once Im dead