SweetDreams500

SweetDreams500

Narcissistic gay NEETcel
Apr 4, 2021
Allegedly, electroshock is the most powerful treatment for depression, anyone here ever considered that?

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Yeah, @ home. Would not recommend.

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: Whole-Ad, DeadButDreaming, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 3 others
Odwin

Odwin

Bucket of Chicken
Mar 31, 2021
They shock the depression out of you?

Reactions: Avyn
G

GreenTree

Mage
Jun 1, 2020
I've had it. Didn't work for me. Waste of time. Think its all about jobs like most mental health workers.

• Aww..
  • Hmph!
Reactions: SweetDreams500 and WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
I've literally begged for it multiple times, because the pills do fuck all for me. Therapy has helped me understand myself and other people more, but it hasn't done much for my depression. Unfortunately, I always get turned down for ECT (electroshock). They have to put you under general anesthesia for that, and no one wants to do that with me because I have a high BMI and sleep apnea. Also, the success rate of ECT isn't that high for lifelong depressives. Apparently it only has a good track record for people who have periods of severe depression alternating with periods of remission. Finally, ECT can have a really bad effect on some people's short-term memory. They'll tell you that "usually" this is no big deal, which is kind of psycholo-speak for acknowledging that a minority of times it is a very big deal.

Even so, if it were offered to me I'd probably take it. As things are going I'll probably be dead soon, so I don't have a lot to lose.

• Hugs
Reactions: nitrogennitrite2, DeadButDreaming, Isisnefert and 4 others
T

TotallyIsolated

Mage
Nov 25, 2019
I've never been offered electroconvulsive therapy and I'm not sure I would request it. I don't really see how giving you seizures makes childhood trauma melt away.

Reactions: Isisnefert, demuic and killedbypsychiatry
G

GreenTree

Mage
Jun 1, 2020
I had short term memory loss for 10 minutes. Then it all came back. A total waste of time for me. Still at least I got a chance to try it.

• Aww..
Reactions: DeadButDreaming, Isisnefert and WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
I already have enough problems with my memory so I would never try it.

• Hugs
Reactions: Isisnefert and WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
Carrotcake

Carrotcake

Experienced
Nov 27, 2019
I have one more type of medication to try, after that, it's ECT time.

• Hugs
Reactions: Isisnefert
RedHarlequin

RedHarlequin

Mage
Jul 8, 2018
I tried 11 sessions but they didn't work just like mediation. Don't let this discourage you, it is effective for 70% and I have seen people change in front of my eyes.

Trisolaris

Trisolaris

Arcanist
Dec 11, 2018
Allegedly, electroshock is the most powerful treatment for depression, anyone here ever considered that?
I wouldn't call it the most powerful, it's just different. It's not a surefire way, for some it helps and some it doesn't. On the side effects front it is safer than any medication. Worth a shot in my opinion.

Reactions: DeadButDreaming
G

Gunnersup

Jul 2, 2020
I had a mini siezure a month ago for the first time, I was conscious but temporarily lost all my vision for about a minute, I also became very faint. Since then my depresssion is completely gone and I have no suicidal thoughts. I made the connection today that the seizure may have made my depresssion go away because I began researching the shock therapy and how it relates to seizures.

• Hugs
Reactions: demuic
WaterHemlock

WaterHemlock

Student
Dec 18, 2019
I know someone who did it. She lost a lot of memory and she said it saved her life from her crippling depression.
I can't imagine doing it myself.