apearl

apearl

mitski fan
Sep 25, 2023
This is my first psychiatrist since I became an adult (which is important because child psychiatrists really only perscribe SRRIs or SNRIs for depression/anxiety) and she is giving me a two medications that have not been cleared for depression. One's main use is for the Pseudobulbar effect (brain problem where someone has uncontrollable laughter/crying), and the other's main use is for sleep disorders.

Just wondering if anyone elses psychiatrist gives them medicines that are unorthodox as well.

DefinitelyReady

DefinitelyReady

*perpetually annoyed*
Mar 14, 2024
I've asked... they're too conservative and traditional for that, even at the expense of patients.

• Informative
Reactions: derpyderpins and apearl
Just_Another_Person

Just_Another_Person

Student
Sep 16, 2024
Mine gave me bupriopion, it was initially intended for treating smoking but in the recent years it has been used to treat depression. Shit is wonderful I could take it like water but unfortunately the dosage must be low because it has high risk of seizures.

Reactions: apearl
apearl

apearl

mitski fan
Sep 25, 2023
Mine gave me bupriopion, it was initially intended for treating smoking but in the recent years it has been used to treat depression. Shit is wonderful I could take it like water but unfortunately the dosage must be low because it has high risk of seizures.
I actually was given a medicine with bupriopion in it before! It was called Auvelity and its a mixture of bupriopion and dextromethorphan. I think that it helped with my depression but I had to get off of it because it gave me brain fog and as a college student I need all the brain I can get. I'm glad it works for you though! :)

DefinitelyReady

DefinitelyReady

*perpetually annoyed*
Mar 14, 2024
I actually was given a medicine with bupriopion in it before! It was called Auvelity and its a mixture of bupriopion and dextromethorphan. I think that it helped with my depression but I had to get off of it because it gave me brain fog and as a college student I need all the brain I can get. I'm glad it works for you though! :)
Auvelity recently got FDA-approved for treatment-resistant depression. A lot of people say the dosage is too strong and have to only take half a days dose. I follow a DIY dosage and only take 20mg of DXM at a time, if not 10mg.
Bupropion is mostly well-tolerated. Seizures are an unusual symptom and a more severe one at that.

Last edited:
apearl

apearl

mitski fan
Sep 25, 2023
Auvelity recently got FDA-approved for treatment-resistant depression. A lot of people say the dosage is too strong and have to only take half a days dose. I follow a DIY dosage and only take 20mg of DXM at a time, if not 10mg.

Bupropion is mostly well-tolerated. Seizures are an unusual symptom and a more severe one at that.
Since I got off Auvelity, I'm on DXM with quinidine now, which is only cleared for the pseudobulbar affect, though they have done studies for depression/ALS. It's nice to hear someone else say they are on DXM for their mental health too.

Reactions: DefinitelyReady
sancta-simplicitas

sancta-simplicitas

Arcanist
Dec 14, 2023
Psychiatrists here loves to prescribe olanzapine off-label for just about anything. They're common as sleeping pills. That's quite conventional considering the national guidelines states that they should never be considered as first line treatment due to the neurotoxicity.