D

DeletedUser4739

I'm a type 2 diabetic for several years, and during that time my mental health has continued to decline, along with other things. I think finally I have medication in a reasonably good place to handle that part of diabetes management for now. At least no more drugs obviously causing my glucose to skyrocket.

The impact of my mood has a huge impact on how and what I eat. I'm wondering if other members have found food sources that help sustain them from passing out (hypoglycemia) when they are too manic to know you need food. Or what do you use to sustain yourself when you're so depressed you don't care what is or isn't in your body?

Any information from people who have found ways to help with this area of health, while also trying to live with many afflictions would be helpful.

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, lv-gras, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
I understand this.
I am also a type 2 diabetic with depression, low mood and now anxiety.
My eating ranges from eating nothing to over eating on rubbish.
I was sent on a diabetic course that highlighed the need to restrict carbs to 40g a meal.A calorie and carbs book is useful.
It is important to eat well as a diabetic as this condition can and will effect the whole body.Having said that it seems to be such a small consideration in the grand scale of things and if you are going to ctb soon,then what the hell with it !

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, DeletedUser4739, lv-gras and 1 other person
B3rry

B3rry

Dec 4, 2018
I usually prefer not to eat at all, but have to. So I'm normally eating nothing 2-3 in row and then get some junk food.
I just don't get hungry, I don't know what it is but I just don't have the urge to eat.

Reactions: Angel2018, Weeping Garbage Can, DeletedUser4739 and 2 others
D

DeletedUser4739

I understand this.
I am also a type 2 diabetic with depression, low mood and now anxiety.
My eating ranges from eating nothing to over eating on rubbish.
I was sent on a diabetic course that highlighed the need to restrict carbs to 40g a meal.A calorie and carbs book is useful.
It is important to eat well as a diabetic as this condition can and will effect the whole body.Having said that it seems to be such a small consideration in the grand scale of things and if you are going to ctb soon,then what the hell with it !
I know...the irony of managing chronic disease while wanting to die. I'd like to do what I can for now. I can tell you know what it's like, learning a whole new life in and of itself.

I count carbs as well. Thank goodness for the books on that, and others put out by some of the associations. 1 Carb Count = 15 grams carbohydrate (or up to 20 if it has boatloads of good fiber). Ideally, I should have three meals a day with a carb count of 2-3 per meal. In addition, I am to have 2 snacks with a carb count of 1-2 per snack. Of course, it breaks down further than this, but I'll spare everyone the disappointing details lol.

Knowing all this, I have been able to combine things to reduce glucose by over 250 points--to where I now live in the low to normal range, and lost about 60 lbs. I still have a long way to go.

My main concern is to get by for now. So I eat things like whole grain nut bread with avocado, easily consumable, low sugar fruit, small amounts of nuts and granola, greek yogurt, berries, open faced grilled cheese with tomato on the same awesome whole grain nut bread, egg muffins, when i manage to cook...but that's not enough...and I'm already in a rut. How do you get by when you're like fuck it all, but still have to get in a car and drive? I can't forgive myself if my own neglect caused injury to someone else like that.

So basically...what do you stuff in your face when you hate your face? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
D

DeletedUser4739

I usually prefer not to eat at all, but have to. So I'm normally eating nothing 2-3 in row and then get some junk food.
I just don't get hungry, I don't know what it is but I just don't have the urge to eat.
The body is surprisingly adaptive, at least for a while. My understanding is our general biology is more geared for famine than the feasting conditions, so at least that is in your favor to keep you comfortable for now. However, that pattern also causes crazy spikes and drops in your glucose which leaves you feeling lousy, and studies show may contribute to diabetes as well.

I write this not to scare of judge you. I appreciate you sharing and many days, far too many days, I still do the same thing to my own body. But if I can, I need to try to work things out so I can stay for now. Once you have diabetes, that sluggish feeling you get from the crash after the carbs/sugar, can be unconsciousness before you realize it. I also spend a lot of time alone, and don't want to be left more fucked up but not dead yet.

Angel2018

Angel2018

Sep 20, 2018
I'm pretty much surviving on coffee and cigarettes. I don't really see the point of eating 'cause I wanna die. So why should I do something for my health?