motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
Depressive realism is the hypothesis developed by Lauren Alloy and Lyn Yvonne Abramson that depressed individuals make more realistic inferences than non-depressed individuals. Although depressed individuals are thought to have a negative cognitive bias that results in recurrent, negative automatic thoughts, maladaptive behaviors, and dysfunctional world beliefs, depressive realism argues not only that this negativity may reflect a more accurate appraisal of the world but also that non-depressed individuals' appraisals are positively biased.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depressive_realism

Reactions: Catlovergirl, Hurt, thats_a_wrap and 12 others
TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
...is this supposed to be some astonishing insight?

Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
I read something similar to this awhile ago - in essence, depressed people see the world as it is; whereas, those who are not depressed recreate the world (use magical thinking) to exist in a bubble of positivity as unrealistic as it may be. (It this is what you ere alluding to @hotelbeneathground. I may have misunderstood). I did not check out the links - I am beyond exhausted at the moment and still kind of reeling at how cruel some people can be (Vis-a-vis the post about the one who wanted someone to suffer as they were dying - still cannot wrap my head around that one).

In any case, back to the topic and my apologies for digressing - I found this an incredibly interesting hypothesis!

I initially read it years ago and thought wow, that makes so much sense (I was pre-med major with psych emphasis - and this came up during university). It was really an eye opener for me, and warrants further study IMO.

• Love
Reactions: thats_a_wrap and AnnonyBox
B

Beachedwhale

Mage
Mar 3, 2021
Not sure about this. Most of my depressive ruminations over the years have been full of shit.

Reactions: motel rooms
azazel_djinn

azazel_djinn

May 13, 2021
There is a movie called Melancholia by lars von trier. In the second half of the movie where there is an unavoidable end of the world due to a small planet running into the Earth, the "normal" people become insane, but the depressed people become calm and help the normal people stay strong. I find it very relatable because 2020 turns out to my most productive year...

• Wow
Reactions: LifeQuitter2018, demuic, BluesRunTheGame and 3 others
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
...is this supposed to be some astonishing insight?
Roaring Photo Shoot GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

It's still controversial. Read @Beachedwhale 's post

theguineapigking

theguineapigking

Useless piece of trash
Dec 5, 2019
I think that it depends on the person and the type of depression they have. It also depends on their logical thinking ability. But yes, I believe that many depressed people, especially those here on this site, see the world in a more realistic view.

Average healthy people think that the world is some paradise or something(they at least act like it). When I look at the world, I laugh. Working 40+ hours to survive. Having kids. Repeating the cycle of life. Pain, breakups, injuries, loss, etc. There may be positive attributes to life, but there's definitely more potential pain than there is pleasure(Facts Bruh).

Simply put: 1) The "right kind" of depressed person's mind is able to see the world more realistically(good and bad). 2) The "wrong kind" of depressed mind may see only the hopelessness or negative attributes in life, without being able to see the positive. 3) The average person seems to be biased more towards the positive attributes in life(optimism). They can't really understand suicide or why someone would want to end their pain(aren't you happy working half of your free time?) At least, this is how I see it. I feel like it's pretty obvious, but you may disagree with me.

Best wishes

Last edited:
Reactions: LifeQuitter2018, Outsider, EnnuiCat and 3 others
TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
Average healthy people think that the world is some paradise or something(they at least act like it).
I believe that is not quite true.
I think the average person doesn't think about the world and life at all, they merely live.
The kind of people whose perception skews toward the positive might best be described, for lack of a better term, as those that "live aggressively".

Reactions: Outsider, eternalmelancholy, Beachedwhale and 1 other person
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
I think the average person doesn't think about the world and life at all, they merely live.
That's why it's hard to feel sorry for them when they lose their job & fall for demagogues / charlatans / conspiracy theorists

Reactions: Bauhaus
B

BlankUser

Mage
Apr 24, 2021
People usually say to me: "You're being pessimistic", I always reply: "I'm being realistic".

Reactions: EnnuiCat and Hurt
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Yes, I think this is true. Most depressed people see life as pointless, which it is as we all just die anyway and they see this world as full of suffering which it simply is. Many other people are so distracted by life and they might have not went through many hardships so they are able to be mostly ignorant to the true nature of this life.

T

thats_a_wrap

Jun 1, 2020
I don't know if my depression is the result of how I see the world for what it truly is, or the cause

Reactions: motel rooms
Sunset Limited

Sunset Limited

I believe in Sunset Limited
Jul 29, 2019
We swallowed the biggest red pill.

• Love
Reactions: motel rooms and thats_a_wrap
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I some aspects I agree. However there are some depressed people who are not realistic regarding their life to be honest. During the first depressive episode you often cannot really judge your outcome. For me killing myself during my first severe depression would not have changed anything but there are people who recover and life is good for them. Still not quite sure if that's always realisitc but better than living in pain.

Last edited:
PlathWannaBe

PlathWannaBe

Nov 15, 2019
Depressive realism is the hypothesis developed by Lauren Alloy and Lyn Yvonne Abramson that depressed individuals make more realistic inferences than non-depressed individuals. Although depressed individuals are thought to have a negative cognitive bias that results in recurrent, negative automatic thoughts, maladaptive behaviors, and dysfunctional world beliefs, depressive realism argues not only that this negativity may reflect a more accurate appraisal of the world but also that non-depressed individuals' appraisals are positively biased.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depressive_realism
I heard this quote several years ago about depressed people, and part of me believes it to be true.

On the other hand, it makes me see this quote as me wanting to stay in victim mode and feeling sorry for myself. Part of me feels righteous and validated for the struggles I have in my life, so I'm aware that when I cling to a quote like this, for me personally, it's because I'm wallowing in my self pity.

But, idk, if things were working out for me, maybe I wouldn't be stuck in such a victim mindset.