E

everydayiloveyou

Arcanist
Jul 5, 2020
I'm applying to get life insurance, I'm in free clinic therapy through school rn so I told the underwriter the name and contact for that. I figured honesty is necessary and also that it'd help my rates lol

The therapist knows I have depression but we always focus on my anxiety issues. I'm worried that the insurance company will call the therapist, or my general practioner, and I could get sectioned. I haven't had any ideation lately and I do have a valid reason to get life insurance (I help my parents with bills, they are close to retiring but have no savings, also if i make it 10+ years I'd like to have a low rate while I'm young and healthy)

Has anyone else gotten life insurance? How nosy are they? Is it possible to get sectioned for this or do they need to hear threats/ideation/see you attempt? I never self-harm or attempted if that helps

Thanks everyone!

S

scarletohara

Apr 24, 2021
I'm applying to get life insurance, I'm in free clinic therapy through school rn so I told the underwriter the name and contact for that. I figured honesty is necessary and also that it'd help my rates lol

The therapist knows I have depression but we always focus on my anxiety issues. I'm worried that the insurance company will call the therapist, or my general practioner, and I could get sectioned. I haven't had any ideation lately and I do have a valid reason to get life insurance (I help my parents with bills, they are close to retiring but have no savings, also if i make it 10+ years I'd like to have a low rate while I'm young and healthy)

Has anyone else gotten life insurance? How nosy are they? Is it possible to get sectioned for this or do they need to hear threats/ideation/see you attempt? I never self-harm or attempted if that helps

Thanks everyone!
insurance companies are very thorough, they dont like paying out. it wouldnt be hard to get ur records. i cant get life ins because of this, it would be fraud and would make ur policy null and void

U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
insurance companies are very thorough, they dont like paying out. it wouldnt be hard to get ur records. i cant get life ins because of this, it would be fraud and would make ur policy null and void
I think most do not pay out when some kills them self anyway. Its probably in the clauses, I would check first.

Reactions: everydayiloveyou
S

scarletohara

Apr 24, 2021
I think most do not pay out when some kills them self anyway. Its probably in the clauses, I would check first.
thats true, maybe there are some that do. i would advise doing a funeral plan, doesnt pay out as much but it will pay for the funeral and some left over

E

everydayiloveyou

Arcanist
Jul 5, 2020
Thanks so much for the reply, what do you mean my policy would be void? I told them I deal with depression and suicidal ideation, had ideation recently but not now, also that I've never attempted and I am in treatment right now, which are all true. Does that make it void even if I told them beforehand? The company I am going to buy from has a 2-year suicide clause, I asked the agent for that specifically because of my depression.

thats true, maybe there are some that do. i would advise doing a funeral plan, doesnt pay out as much but it will pay for the funeral and some left over
Thanks for the suggestion! Have you gotten a funeral plan, and if so how much is the benefit? My family's mortgage isn't very far along, so I wanted to leave enough for that, the funeral bills, and to pay off student loans. I'm not sure if a funeral plan would be enough for all that.