Eren

Eren

Si hablas español mándame un MP
Oct 27, 2018
A long time ago in this forum they gave me good advice, not to compare myself with other people, but it is impossible for me to do it, it is as if I did it naturally and unconsciously, I feel inferior to the others in practically anything.

Someone else happens?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: all_pointless, TheSoulless, Philosykos and 4 others
KLUF

KLUF

Jun 16, 2020
It is natural to compare oneself with others. It happens because we need to evaluate chances of survival and passing genes on on subconcious level. Everyone does that.

Reactions: Deleted member 1465 and SipSop
Nolye

Nolye

The hardest battles are fought in the mind.
May 3, 2020
I constantly compare myself to other people, especially if they're around my age. While I believe it's absolutely normal, it also breaks my mental health even more. I tried not to care, I tried to stop, I really did, but I can't. They all seem more happy, more successful, more everything. And then... there's me.

• Love
Reactions: _Minsk, all_pointless, Bct and 2 others
Close_to_freedom

Close_to_freedom

Why the long face? Cause I don’t wanna live here.
May 19, 2020
Are you going to ctb before the final season of Attack on Titan?

SpottedPanda

SpottedPanda

I'm all about coffee and cigarettes
Jul 24, 2019
It's hard not to compare yourself to others, but with that said, it's sometimes useful to realise that there are always many worse off than you.

My worst habit is comparing myself to the man I used to be, a man I used to love and admire.

• Love
Reactions: zi99, Odd_Duck, coconut lover and 1 other person
4eyebiped

4eyebiped

Mage
Dec 28, 2019
The problem here is who people compare themselves to. Whatever your perceived flaw or weakness is, is what you seek the opposite of in others to compare yourself to. Someone who thinks they are "ugly" doesn't take note of all the other "ugly" people, they will compare themselves to the "pretty" ones. The interconnecting of our world, the internet, has caused great issues in this area.

The next flaw to comparing is the grass is always greener on the other side fallacy. Sure, the grass looks greener when you are on the outside, but when you look into it, you will often find that most people's yards are full of weeds.

Ultimately, what others do, how well off they are or how wonderful their lives are is completely irrelevant to you. They are different people with different mindsets (the most import factor here), different environmental circumstances, different family and friends, different genetics, and so forth. The time you waste comparing to them is the same amount of time you lost that could had been spent bettering yourself, enjoying yourself or doing something overall more productive.

In life, we are often our own worst enemy. We lay these self defeating traps for us to fall into. The only time you need to be comparing yourself to others is, like in competitive sports, when you are using those comparisons for motivation in improving yourself.

• Love
Reactions: Brackenshire, Busdriver, Lostandfound7 and 2 others
Eren

Eren

Si hablas español mándame un MP
Oct 27, 2018
I constantly compare myself to other people, especially if they're around my age. While I believe it's absolutely normal, it also breaks my mental health even more. I tried not to care, I tried to stop, I really did, but I can't. They all seem more happy, more successful, more everything. And then... there's me.

The exact same thing happens to me, it produces a brutal frustration, because I feel that I cannot change many things as I am.

Reactions: Nolye and Busdriver
selfhater

selfhater

Experienced
Mar 1, 2020
i do that constantly it's like an addiction, it's extremely damaging me and make me hold on sh more

Reactions: FreddieQuell
T

TotallyIsolated

Mage
Nov 25, 2019
I hear "don't compare yourself to others" as "pretend you aren't worthless". What's the point of denying that I'm a loser? that other people are better than me? If anything, it makes me feel even worse. Its pitying. Don't compare yourself, because you'll never measure up. When the vicious shit-show of life prizes dog-eat-dog competitiveness and constantly pressures us to aspire to some impossible goal and when we're subjected to a constant barrage of how very WELL our peers are doing 24 hours a day..... I hope I can be forgiving for thinking that "don't compare yourself to others" is just hollow bullshit.

Reactions: FreddieQuell and Bct
Bct

Bct

Disqualified from Being Human
Apr 20, 2020
It's hard not to compare ourself with others, especially if we were already conditioned to do that. From class grades, competitions, even parents comparing you to your siblings, it's just hard to escape. My low self-esteem makes me feeling shit when comparing myself to anyone I know, because they look waaay better at almost every aspect.

• Love
Reactions: all_pointless
A

AnxietyAttack44

I just wanna go to my husband already.
Jun 5, 2020
I dont compare myself with anyone. I found it too stressful and waste of my nerves and time. I can be a loser, a failure and a weakling all i want. I will die, they will die and we will all be rotting corpses. In 100 years none of us will matter to anyone.

I dont want to sound mean or harsh. Thats how i comforted myself last 17 years, and it helped me endure and not cry publicly. Not too much atleast. Just forget others exist. We will die anyway. I hope i will..

• Love
Reactions: KibblesNBits and all_pointless
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing to compare yourself to others or other people in general. Like @KLUF said, humans are competitve creatures (and even most animals, living things in general) and do it by instinct, otherwise the species and human race would not have made it this far and survived millions of years. Also, I disagree with people who tell others "don't compare yourself to others" more in an effort to placate and dismiss someone from pursuing a goal or bettering his/herself, especially if it is said by someone who is more successful than the person he/she is telling this advice to.