Readytoendit

Readytoendit

Sep 29, 2018
Does anyone here have one game that they play when they feel depressed and want to relax? For me it's probably darksouls I've beaten it more times than I can remember. I've also started playing Forza horizon 2 while listening to Spotify really keeps my mind off of things.

Reactions: throwaway123, Mugara, lv-gras and 2 others
Mugara

Mugara

if i count to ten, will it all go away?
Sep 12, 2018
I used to be obsessed with soulsborne from 2014 and onwards when I gave ds1 a second try. I had a playlist for that and could be grinding/pvping all day long while listening to music. I enjoy games where sound is not important so I can mute it and turn on my own, sort of immersion to me.

After I beaten ds3 I can't bring myself back to franchise, kind of grew out of it but still bear many good memories. It sucks that I will never get a chance to play Sekiro. ;(

For now I struggle to play single player games, I can't concetrate and these don't take me away from reality as it were before. That's why I've chosen mmorpgs, mobas etc.

To answer your question, I have couple of games that gave me sense of escapism before. First is Don't Starve. I've been playing it since release but with a long breaks. This game doesn't explain you shit, you are thrown in the world and pretty much left to do your own thing.

Second is Animal Crossing. My god npcs in this game even remind you that you had been absent for 2 years. And as you close your console they continue to live without you. All you do is a little grind for money to support a town and pay your loan. But sometimes AC strucks with sudden maturity and fourth wall wreckage, made me think deeper to the point I came even more depressed instead of relaxed lol.

Reactions: onamy and Desperate_Soul
jaemus12

jaemus12

Earth’s Parasite
May 11, 2018
The Sims 3. I don't play anymore though since my gaming computer broke.

Now no game comforts me anymore. I only get a little distraction from drawing and coloring.

Reactions: Desperate_Soul
O

onamy

Sep 23, 2018
I used to be obsessed with soulsborne from 2014 and onwards when I gave ds1 a second try. I had a playlist for that and could be grinding/pvping all day long while listening to music. I enjoy games where sound is not important so I can mute it and turn on my own, sort of immersion to me.

This is me so much too. When I feel like doing nothing, I just turn up Dark Souls 3, pick one of my builds and pvp away for hours, with my own music.

Another game for the same purpose is Trackmania United/Nations Forever.

Touhou games are good in away that they are arcadey, but they require huge concentration and grip. Each life counts, dying in the first few stages ruins the whole attempt because then you won't have enough lives for the later stages.

Super Hexagon is pretty good, a one minute survival game. But I've already beaten it so many times.

Reactions: TheREALDisgustingMe
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
Used to be DOTA, that way I could hate the world and feel better. (No offense to SEA people, but the players there are the embodiment of cancer.)

Now it's XCOM or competitive Pokemon. I like strategy games with depth.

weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Used to be DOTA, that way I could hate the world and feel better. (No offense to SEA people, but the players there are the embodiment of cancer.)

I used to enjoy strategy games but it depressed me that I can't even be good at the one thing I worked at for so long... If I can't be good at video games I certainly can't be good at the genuinely difficult things I always dreamed of doing in my life.

L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
Gaming4life, countless video games and anything related (watching speedrun or tournaments)
Card and board games also although now rarely because I rarely interact with others.

I wish I could freeze time and play and say fuck life

Reactions: RM5998, lv-gras and weedoge
Q

QueenEtna

Gone
Jul 29, 2018
Does anyone here have one game that they play when they feel depressed and want to relax? For me it's probably darksouls I've beaten it more times than I can remember..
Darksouls? Are you a masochist?

Reactions: lv-gras and weedoge
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Right? I loved dark souls especially during the boom in popularity when ds2 came out. I can't enjoy it at all now.

Reactions: RM5998 and Miss clefable
Q

QueenEtna

Gone
Jul 29, 2018
Right? I loved dark souls especially during the boom in popularity when ds2 came out. I can't enjoy it at all now.
I bought the new one and I haven't played it much at all :\ I played the crap out of ds2 though, almost gouged my eyes out in frustration.

Sayo

Sayo

Not 2B
Aug 22, 2018

I adore strategy games and they're basically crack to me, especially turn-based SRPGs. Re. XCOM - great game, although I found the maps really disappointing, but the strategic layer was engaging and I wanted to try Long War, I just never got around to it.

I played competitive Pokémon for years too. Then everyone I played with moved onto LoL for basically the reasons you were playing DOTA. Server moves forced me to give up that poison - the Oceania server is probably just as bad as the SEA server.

If I had any motivation, I'd probably be playing Valkyria Chronicles 4 right now - I waited for that game with quite a lot of anticipation, and I used to know someone on the localisation team. Ah well.

In response to OP: I was playing a deckbuilder/roguelite called Slay the Spire recently - very enjoyable game, I put in about 150 hours and then went to hospital, so I just stopped to make one last attempt to function. For years my go-to comfort games were rhythm games, but I started to be able to go into trances playing them, so I quit. I also like futuristic racing games, but there aren't many super good ones for the PC.

My permanent comfort game is Animal Crossing, and it's been a coping mechanism during some really unstable stuff, but with my true addict's personality I'm incapable of playing that normally either. It has a similarish appeal to me that playing with miniatures does.

Reactions: lv-gras, RM5998 and Miss clefable
Readytoendit

Readytoendit

Sep 29, 2018
Lol yeah I get that. It's because the game is so hard that it keeps my interest. I still feel like I can play the game again with a build I haven't used before despite beating it so many times.

Reactions: lv-gras and QueenEtna
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
Re. XCOM - great game, although I found the maps really disappointing, but the strategic layer was engaging and I wanted to try Long War, I just never got around to it.

Try the War of the Chosen DLC for XCOM 2. The sheer amount of new stuff added makes it almost a different game. And you do get a lot of map and enemy variety from that, as well as new options for units you already have.

Also, if you're into masochism like the people playing Dark Souls, try Automata on Very Hard. The 'you die in 1 hit' description is accurate. And if you think that was easy, try this, on a fresh run (without chapter select). I can't even imagine getting through the prologue with that.

Reactions: Sayo and lv-gras