J

JipJopMop

Mar 6, 2021
I'm in therapy having CBT but I don't find it that effective.

My therapist loves things like behavioural activation but the things I schedule in are just things I was going to do anyway and I've even said that to my therapist.

We don't go deep into my issues, we just skim over them and the whole session just feels like a game where I have to say the right answer like when I have a thought "I have a failed broken life," my therapist asks me what I can do to challenge the thought and the correct answer is "to do a cognitive reframe" but I don't believe in the reframe. "I have a failed broken life" is just the truth of my situation. I don't have the life I want and never will do.

I have physical health issues that leave me severely fatigued everyday and positive thinking isn't going to change that or give me a successful life, career or family.

I have had years of CBT and some other therapies too.

• Hugs
Reactions: nolongerhuman, Journeytoletgo, demuic and 3 others
Ramirez

Ramirez

Criminally insane
Jun 10, 2019
I had pretty much a lifetime of therapies aswell. I believe it can be a bit of help for some people who just feel a bit down. If someone has serious issues it doesnt do much. And some therapists even said that straight up. Sorry to hear it's not working for you.

Reactions: adam, demuic, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 1 other person
western_heart

western_heart

trying to save ourself
May 23, 2021
I've found CBT to be helpful with certain types of anxiety and a few other specific situations. Not with trauma, not with my avoidant behaviors that started in early childhood. CBT simply doesn't work for many issues.

Why do you keep going to therapy if it's ineffective? If you're gonna keep seeing a therapist, have you considered finding one who will try another type of therapy?

Reactions: virginiawoolf
J

JipJopMop

Mar 6, 2021
I've found CBT to be helpful with certain types of anxiety and a few other specific situations. Not with trauma, not with my avoidant behaviors that started in early childhood. CBT simply doesn't work for many issues.

Why do you keep going to therapy if it's ineffective? If you're gonna keep seeing a therapist, have you considered finding one who will try another type of therapy?
In the UK we just have to take what we are given really, we can't pick certain types

• Aww..
Reactions: SecretDissociation, demuic and KuriGohan&Kamehameha
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Sorry you don't have the life you want.
Maybe you will never get it but if you somehow manage to try to get things better, you could still experience some happy moments throughout your life.
In my case, I will always be suicidal and probably ctb in a few years but I'm really doing my best to live.

Hope you can feel better soon!

Hugs and love,

Matt

• Love
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha and JipJopMop
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I think ctb would be better than cbt for my problems. I have been offered taking therapy for physical health problems before which I do not understand, as it cannot get rid of the symptoms. Having a certain mindset cannot change how debilitating the disorder is. It is better to be realistic honestly then have to force yourself to believe certain things. Some problems are just too complex for therapy techniques to help.

Reactions: Ramirez and western_heart