illvoid

illvoid

he/it
Aug 11, 2022
I would really like to feel better, and DBT sounds great for me on paper. I struggle severely with emotional regulation and unhealthy coping skills, and other kinds of therapy have either not helped me or actively made things worse. However, I've heard the horror stories and I'm afraid of bad DBT therapists, and would feel extremely uncomfortable in a group therapy setting.
Would it be at all possible for me to teach myself DBT skills, or would that be a bad idea?

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I think it would definitely be possible to learn some of the skills. I have not done DBT, but I have done CBT and group therapy. To the extent that DBT overlaps with CBT, that can be done with self-help. There are workbooks online and apps you may be able to use. However, it is extremely difficult to replace group therapy in my experience. A big part of feeling better for me has been having frequent contact with fellow sufferers. This website is a band-aid solution. I need to get on the stick and find another group.

F

fightingforchoice

Sep 14, 2023
I've found DBT to be the only type of therapy that has had a real impact on me, and the skills within it have all been self taught

ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

On the rollercoaster of sadness
Oct 17, 2023
I'd be interested in this as well. I was told it is supposedly very good for Borderline PD but my therapist doesn't use this method and I wouldn't want to change therapist after 16 years