garbagekan

garbagekan

May 5, 2023
i have liothyronine and synthroid im having a hard time telling if i can overdose on them. im ok with the pain from ive already tried to od once so its the most bearable method for me. should i take anything with it? im not planning to eat when i do take them

Reactions: davidtorez
schrei_nach_liebe

schrei_nach_liebe

Experienced
Jul 6, 2023
It's definitely possible, it's highly unreliable and unlikely to happen if you're trying to do it, only seems to happen when it's an accident. It's probably an absolutely awful way to go based on what I've seen just treating people who did something unintentionally, they all lived though.

Reactions: davidtorez
garbagekan

garbagekan

May 5, 2023
It's definitely possible, it's highly unreliable and unlikely to happen if you're trying to do it, only seems to happen when it's an accident. It's probably an absolutely awful way to go based on what I've seen just treating people who did something unintentionally, they all lived though.
:( i found cephalexin too would that work?

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
The only LD50 (the dose required to kill half the members of a tested population after a specified test duration) amount I could come up with for levothyroxine is 20mg/kg. That means that if you weighed 50 kg (110 lbs), you would need to consume 1000 mg of the levothyroxine, the equivalent of 20,000 (TWENTY THOUSAND) 50mcg levothyroxine tablets. If you took 100mcg tablets, you would need 10,000 tablets. NOT FEASIBLE.

Someone check my math please.

schrei_nach_liebe

schrei_nach_liebe

Experienced
Jul 6, 2023
The only LD50 (the dose required to kill half the members of a tested population after a specified test duration) amount I could come up with for levothyroxine is 20mg/kg. That means that if you weighed 50 kg (110 lbs), you would need to consume 1000 mg of the levothyroxine, the equivalent of 20,000 (TWENTY THOUSAND) 50mcg levothyroxine tablets. If you took 100mcg tablets, you would need 10,000 tablets. NOT FEASIBLE.

LD50 is a statistic and a surface level definition of it doesn't do it justice. It's a measure of toxicity under certain conditions which are controlled and not always in humans. It says little for effects that are more drawn out, dependent on an endlessly diverse set of variables. Levothyroxine itself isn't highly toxic, it's more about the set of events it can set in motion if it's able to influence the right parts of the body.

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
LD50 is a statistic and a surface level definition of it doesn't do it justice. It's a measure of toxicity under certain conditions which are controlled and not always in humans. It says little for effects that are more drawn out, dependent on an endlessly diverse set of variables. Levothyroxine itself isn't highly toxic, it's more about the set of events it can set in motion if it's able to influence the right parts of the body.
It's really all there is to go off of, though. I read a few case reports of people trying to OD on crazy amounts of levo, and all survived, but none approached the LD50 amount.

schrei_nach_liebe

schrei_nach_liebe

Experienced
Jul 6, 2023
It's really all there is to go off of, though. I read a few case reports of people trying to OD on crazy amounts of levo, and all survived, but none approached the LD50 amount.
Right, and there's no feasible way to get the LD50 amount when you're dealing with doses of 0.112mg or thereabouts. And it doesn't absorb well. The deaths I've seen have been nowhere near a full bottle of it, it's been less about the amount and more about how it absorbed and other unplanned conditions.

Reactions: garbagekan
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
Right, and there's no feasible way to get the LD50 amount when you're dealing with doses of 0.112mg or thereabouts. And it doesn't absorb well. The deaths I've seen have been nowhere near a full bottle of it, it's been less about the amount and more about how it absorbed and other unplanned conditions.
You've seen deaths from OD of levo?

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
Yeah, as a nurse in an ICU
Wow. Can't be a very common occurance, can it, given how implausible it is to accomplish? I mean there has to be far easier ways to kill oneself. I only decided to investigate this far-fetched idea more because I take levo myself, but I'd NEVER consider trying to OD on it.

schrei_nach_liebe

schrei_nach_liebe

Experienced
Jul 6, 2023
Wow. Can't be a very common occurance, can it, given how implausible it is to accomplish? I mean there has to be far easier ways to kill oneself. I only decided to investigate this far-fetched idea more because I take levo myself, but I'd NEVER consider trying to OD on it.
No I wouldn't imagine it being common, a lot of stars have to align in the wrong/right way. Being in upper echelon ICUs, you come across the most extreme and weirdest circumstances

Reactions: locked*n*loaded
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Google them and look at the pharmacology. Thay will note OD levels and effects.

garbagekan

garbagekan

May 5, 2023

i weight around 90 pounds but i doubt that changes much lol thank you for the info tho:)

Reactions: locked*n*loaded
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
i weight around 90 pounds but i doubt that changes much lol thank you for the info tho:)
No one has checked my math yet. Might only be 2000 pills of 50mcg. The other poster said they'd seen OD's on FAR less, if that means anything. And like they said, it depends on a lot of other things going on in YOUR system.