x_LittleAmy_x

x_LittleAmy_x

Student
Mar 18, 2021
Hi xx
Any other Aspie girls on here?
I feeling sooo bad. school and college were ok for me despite being on the spectrum but my life has not have any direction since I left college.
I'm now 20 years old, living with parents and don't fit in anywhere.
I honestly feel like the world is not made for people like me ;-;
Can anyone relate?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: emptyshell, Simba, infinitelove and 30 others
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
I'm probably not on the spectrum but I relate to not fitting in and permanently being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Love
Reactions: Ramirez, infinitelove, TotallyIsolated and 8 others
reposing

reposing

sleep enthusiast
Sep 4, 2020
Hey! I'm not on the spectrum but I do have ADHD. I know they're not the same and very different, but neurodivergent all the same.
I definitely agree with you- the world is biased and living in it is incredibly difficult.
You might not feel like you fit in, but you are not alone.

• Love
Reactions: Good4Nothing, grungeCat, OpheliasFlowers and 3 others
M

Misfit72

Student
Aug 25, 2020
There was Callie Lewis three years ago. I'm not a girl, and have never been diagnosed, being of a generation when few boys were, let alone girls. There seems to be a myth that it's confined to boys, perhaps because Hans Asperger himself never worked with girls. I prefer to use the term 'with autism', partly as people either mispronounce his surname as 'asperjer' or make childish 'ass-burger' jokes, and partly because there's evidence that Asperger was a Nazi collaborator, though living in 1940s Vienna does lend itself to that.

• Wow
Reactions: Lostandlooking, grungeCat and reposing
x_LittleAmy_x

x_LittleAmy_x

Student
Mar 18, 2021
There was Callie Lewis three years ago. I'm not a girl, and have never been diagnosed, being of a generation when few boys were, let alone girls. There seems to be a myth that it's confined to boys, perhaps because Hans Asperger himself never worked with girls. I prefer to use the term 'with autism', partly as people either mispronounce his surname as 'asperjer' or make childish 'ass-burger' jokes, and partly because there's evidence that Asperger was a Nazi collaborator, though living in 1940s Vienna does lend itself to that.
According to research undertaken over many years by Professor Simon Baron-Cohen, Asperger's is fundamentally a 'mind blindness' issue.
Essentially this means that people with Asperger's find it more difficult to 'put themselves in other people's shoes'. It is more prevalent in boys than girls due to boy's minds being built for systemising whereas girl's minds are more geared towards empathising.

• Hugs
Reactions: orlandom, grungeCat and reposing
reposing

reposing

sleep enthusiast
Sep 4, 2020
partly because there's evidence that Asperger was a Nazi collaborator, though living in 1940s Vienna does lend itself to that.
Wow, I can say for certain this caught me off guard. I'll have to look into this lmao

Reactions: grungeCat
amarillo

amarillo

Jan 30, 2021
I haven't been diagnosed but I suspect I might be on the spectrum as well (it also runs in both sides of my family). I completely recognise the feeling of not fitting in. This world just wasn't made for me, everything is difficult and I don't understand how anything works. At least on here we can not fit in together :')

• Hugs
Reactions: Despairing, OpheliasFlowers and HopelessCookie
insanedoomer

insanedoomer

Zé"HaZarD
Jan 10, 2021
Hi xx
I feeling sooo bad. school and college were ok for me despite being on the spectrum but my life has not have any direction since I left college.
Can anyone relate?
This forum is made for people like you :happy:

• Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking and x_LittleAmy_x
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
According to research undertaken over many years by Professor Simon Baron-Cohen, Asperger's is fundamentally a 'mind blindness' issue.
Essentially this means that people with Asperger's find it more difficult to 'put themselves in other people's shoes'. It is more prevalent in boys than girls due to boy's minds being built for systemising whereas girl's minds are more geared towards empathising.
Hi! Cordelia Fine did a really good job of debunking the idea of "brain sex" in "Delusions Of Gender." Basically, just because men are more socially-rewarded for being aggressive and women are more socially-shamed for the same behavior, and this effects us profoundly because of neuroplasticity, doesn't mean that there's anything natural or inevitable about it. :)

You can find a lot of autistic adults critiquing Baron-Cohen's work, and a lot of accounts of Autistic empathy (and hyper-empathy!) at the Autism Women's Network (awnnetwork.org) and autistic self-advocacy network.

• Love
Reactions: HowNowBrownCow, WearyWanderer and Lostandlooking
untimelydemise

untimelydemise

Jan 20, 2021
i have autism

Reactions: Lostandlooking, x_LittleAmy_x and insanedoomer
HopelessCookie

HopelessCookie

Jan 29, 2021
I was diagnosed with ASD late last year at 27, it only took me spiralling into depression for anyone to notice something else could be going on. I've somehow managed to hold down full time work since 18 even though it's affected my mental health so much, i'm forever getting "told off" and my current boss believes she's very supportive but if I happen to struggle with the workload, she blames me for not being able to cope rather than the workload being too much (I've done this sort of work for years, I know how much work is too much for me) anyway I could rant about it for ages. I definitely agree about feeling the world is not made for me too even more so with my diagnosis. I grew up being told by my family what I did wasn't good enough, didn't get distinction at college: not good enough, struggle to drive: not good enough, I need to grow up etc etc -.- and now none of them believe my diagnosis either so that's great... Apologies i'm in a ranty mood at the moment haha.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: gtrfvr, Lostandlooking, OpheliasFlowers and 2 others
Ennail

Ennail

Mar 6, 2021
Hi i have ASD. I feel you

• Hugs
Reactions: gtrfvr, Lostandlooking, HopelessCookie and 1 other person
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
There's nothing to "believe" or disbelieve, it's just a subjective descriptor that's used to describe a loose constellation of experiences that can come from *many different causes* - It's not an explanation of WHY we're having the experience.
Nor do we have to look at it as a Disorder - let's call Allism the disorder if anything, or look at the issue through the social model of disability, rather than medical.

Reactions: Lostandlooking
Aelana

Aelana

Mar 17, 2021
Yeah I'm in the exact same position, and also the same age as you. :p

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Lostandlooking and x_LittleAmy_x
D

Despairing

Student
Oct 25, 2019
No but my friend had this and he ctb 5 months ago. The doctor Hans Asperger called it "Autistic Psychopathy"

nolongerhuman

nolongerhuman

Arcanist
Feb 9, 2021
Hi xx
Can anyone relate?

Another woman with ASD here. I'm 22 and about to finish college. I agree with feeling like the world isn't designed with us in mind. I feel like I have to work multiple times as hard to do things that non-autistic people can do easily. It's exhausting.

Reactions: WearyWanderer and Lostandlooking
D

Despairing

Student
Oct 25, 2019
I also feel like the world is not for me. I see everything as futile in the grand scheme of things. I often wonder myself if I have Aspergers.
I haven't been diagnosed but I suspect I might be on the spectrum as well (it also runs in both sides of my family). I completely recognise the feeling of not fitting in. This world just wasn't made for me, everything is difficult and I don't understand how anything works. At least on here we can not fit in together :')

• Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking and amarillo
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Yeah, society isn't designed for us. That doesn't make us disordered or in need of 'fixing' though. A lot of society isn't designed for gay people, in generations past it was set up to make things quite impossible for left-handed people too.
... But that's not a reflection on us.

Reactions: Sprite_Geist, Lostandlooking, lofticries and 1 other person
T

Trans Magus

Mar 8, 2021
Yes.

I'm trans, though.

Reactions: noaccount
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
Can anyone relate?

This may help (or maybe not), but the world is not made for anyone at all. Every living organism (including humans) exist in various environments and they must adapt to survive in them. However: just because an individual is not successful at thriving wherever they live that does not mean that they are at fault. Some environments - specifically human ones - are so unnecessarily hostile and toxic that it is just not worth it to adapt, in fact it is very unhealthy as well; similarly to how some aquatic animals cannot survive outside of a certain pH range.

So please do not think that you are the one with a problem because you cannot "fit in". It is possible that you are surrounded by less-than-kind individuals.

• Love
Reactions: Lostandlooking, muffin222, EmbraceOfTheVoid and 3 others
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
This may help (or maybe not), but the world is not made for anyone at all. Every living organism (including humans) exist in various environments and they must adapt to survive in them. However: just because an individual is not successful at thriving wherever they live that does not mean that they are at fault. Some environments - specifically human ones - are so unnecessarily hostile and toxic that it is just not worth it to adapt, in fact it is very unhealthy as well; similarly to how some aquatic animals cannot survive outside of a certain pH range.

So please do not think that you are the one with a problem because you cannot "fit in". It is possible that you are surrounded by less-than-kind individuals.
I'm proud of myself for following you. Ace post.

Reactions: Sprite_Geist
Marktheghost

Marktheghost

Paragon
Feb 20, 2020
I can relate. I don't fit in anywhere.

• Hugs
Reactions: gtrfvr, Lostandlooking and insanedoomer
Ruinedlifex

Ruinedlifex

Jan 12, 2021
I'm severely autistic, so I know how it is. People either find me incredibly weird/awkward or they find me offensive. :(

• Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking and insanedoomer
Embers

Embers

LOST
Feb 24, 2021
I'm autistic, 25 and female. I relate to everything you've said. I feel I simply was not cut out for this world.

• Hugs
Reactions: Viov, WearyWanderer, Lostandlooking and 2 others
Viov

Viov

Aug 13, 2020
I feel like this all the time, and increasingly more so lately which is my reason to ctb. Despite having a diagnosis there isn't really any help and as you say, the world just isn't designed for us to fit in unfortunately

• Hugs
Reactions: gtrfvr, Lostandlooking and muffin222
muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
Fellow Aspie girl here. I also believe very strongly that the world is not built for someone like me, and that despite my most Herculean efforts, life will always feel like it's set to "hard mode" for me. I feel lonely inside, even when around other humans.

The constant misunderstandings and the resultant anger and frustration that people hurl at me when I commit yet another social blunder takes a humongous toll on me emotionally.

I fear even attempting to forge connections with new people at this point, as I know that the clock is always ticking before the next misunderstanding and the subsequent "damage control" I'll need to implement to fix it. I question whether social interaction is even worth the hassle anymore.

Societal change is occurring to try to accommodate Neurodivergent people, but it's moving at a glacially slow pace. You're not alone in feeling this way :hug: :heart:

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Good4Nothing, gtrfvr, Susan472 and 3 others
L

Lostandlooking

In limbo
Jul 23, 2020
I'm autistic as well and a female, though a bit older. Diagnosed when I was 26.
I was diagnosed with ASD late last year at 27, it only took me spiralling into depression for anyone to notice something else could be going on. I've somehow managed to hold down full time work since 18 even though it's affected my mental health so much, i'm forever getting "told off" and my current boss believes she's very supportive but if I happen to struggle with the workload, she blames me for not being able to cope rather than the workload being too much (I've done this sort of work for years, I know how much work is too much for me) anyway I could rant about it for ages. I definitely agree about feeling the world is not made for me too even more so with my diagnosis. I grew up being told by my family what I did wasn't good enough, didn't get distinction at college: not good enough, struggle to drive: not good enough, I need to grow up etc etc -.- and now none of them believe my diagnosis either so that's great... Apologies i'm in a ranty mood at the moment haha.
I feel this. Also tried to work, lots of different places. I always burn out. And people don't take me seriously either. They simply do not believe me when I say something is too stressful/too much.
Fellow Aspie girl here. I also believe very strongly that the world is not built for someone like me, and that despite my most Herculean efforts, life will always feel like it's set to "hard mode" for me. I feel lonely inside, even when around other humans.

The constant misunderstandings and the resultant anger and frustration that people hurl at me when I commit yet another social blunder takes a humongous toll on me emotionally.

I fear even attempting to forge connections with new people at this point, as I know that the clock is always ticking before the next misunderstanding and the subsequent "damage control" I'll need to implement to fix it. I question whether social interaction is even worth the hassle anymore.

Societal change is occurring to try to accommodate Neurodivergent people, but it's moving at a glacially slow pace. You're not alone in feeling this way :hug: :heart:
I've decided to stop forging new relationships. Also because it seems pretty inevitable that I'll eventually ctb. My cats are a big reason to stay for now.

• Hugs
Reactions: HopelessCookie and muffin222