• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

P

przeciwwymiotne

Be rude to me at all times, I don't deserve kindne
Jun 27, 2022
At what point is it too late for a person to be redeemed. I think that in some cases it's impossible to make up for your actions and to change 180° somehow. And that's when a person should ctb, it's either that or a delusional life.

Reactions: leavingthesoultrap
Rapière

Rapière

On the brink
Jul 7, 2022
Not sure I get the question- do you mean morally redeemed?

Rapists, murderers or even genocidal megalomaniacs are no more in need of redemption or forgiveness than natural disasters. Assuming they are, which is the premise of your question, would imply there being an indifferent subject that could choose to be 'good' or 'evil', which simply isn't the case.

That being said, in the same way we build dams to prevent flooding, there are criminals who sbould be locked up for life or executed because they are too great a danger for normal people to ever be let loose again. Child rapists are certainly at the top of that list.

Last edited:
D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
Rape, murder (not counting self-defense, obviously), mutilation, and forcing a child into existence.

Sexual attraction to children.
Pedophilia is a disease, not a choice. While acting upon those desires is irredeemable, a person who has never once laid their hands on a child deserves care and treatment, while kept as far away from any child as possible.

That being said, in the same way we build dams to prevent flooding, there are criminals who sbould be locked up for life or executed because they are too great a danger for normal people to ever be let loose again. Child rapists are certainly at the top of that list.
While I agree that these people need to be segregated from the rest of society, execution should never be an option no matter how hideous the crime. No state or authority should have the right to end someone else's life with the exception of acting in self-defense.

Reactions: Shivali
D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
There are countless reasons, but forgoing all morality-based ones, the fact that the justice system of many countries are fundamentally flawed and biased against certain groups of people means a lot of people were executed only to be found innocent later. George Stinney was one of these people, only 14 years old.

S

Slimetae

Slimeent🎲
Apr 23, 2022
no i don't think so there's certain crimes that will make society hate u and make u an outcast but i mean as long as u know u trying to change and accept the consequences of ur actions id say it doesn't really matter what everyone else thinks .

Rapière

Rapière

On the brink
Jul 7, 2022
There are countless reasons, but forgoing all morality-based ones, the fact that the justice system of many countries are fundamentally flawed and biased against certain groups of people means a lot of people were executed only to be found innocent later. George Stinney was one of these people, only 14 years old.
I don't want to admit you're right but can't think of any good counger-arguments.

newave3

newave3

I want out
Nov 21, 2020
At what point is it too late for a person to be redeemed. I think that in some cases it's impossible to make up for your actions and to change 180° somehow. And that's when a person should ctb, it's either that or a delusional life.
Voting for a democrat.

• Yay!
Reactions: Un-
4am

4am

there’s nothing for you.
Dec 14, 2023
i don't think there are, i'm a believer in rehabilitation

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Depends what you mean really. Are we talking about genuine repentance here? Are there certain things that even genuine repentance won't atone for?

Firstly- how can you be sure they're genuinely that sorry? That they've genuinely changed? If an action/crime is that heinous and they have in fact genuinely changed into a moral person- would they even be able to forgive themselves now? Could they even live with themselves?

I'm kind of suspicious whether all claims of repentance are that genuine. Especially when it comes to criminals serving time and making appeals. Of course they want to look like they're sorry and they've changed. They want early release! Not to say it's impossible of course but I think it's a difficult thing to judge- which is incredibly dangerous when it comes to psychopaths who are very good at mannipulating people and masking who they really are.

I guess it's largely up to the person that they inflicted the damage on to some degree. (If they're still alive.) Obviously- it depends on the misdemeanor. Say someone is unfaithful in their marriage though. If their partner forgives them and takes them back and seems happy (which I've witnessed,) who am I to judge them? It's like- they forgave them, so, so should I really- although I'd likely always view them with suspicion and slight anger that they hurt their partner.

I'd definitely say sexually assaulting a child shouldn't be forgiven. Rape and murder, it's hard to find justification for. As to whether good deeds for the rest of their lives can make up for that- I wouldn't like to judge but I mean- everyone used to praise Jimmy Saville for all the charity work he did. It's said he raised something like £40 million for charity. He was intrumental in raising funds for the Stoke Mandeville Hospital, where he volunteered as a porter... He also allegedly abused 60 people there. Even if you raise £40 billion for children's charities- does that really make up for assaulting just one?!! Plus- these sorts of people use this clean, good guy image as a smoke screen. And even worse- they sometimes do it to gain access to children- priests, childcare workers, teachers, nurses.

But as for the question- can people redeem themselves from their past misdemeanors? Even very serious ones? Maybe but I'd hate to be the one to have to judge because ultimately- when they get it wrong, more people could potentially be hurt by them.

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Personally, I have always wondered what someone has to do in order to redeem themselves in society. I know this is an extreme example and I'm sure I'm going to irritate a lot of people, but just take for example not to defend him, but just as an example somebody like Alex Jones. My question is what would somebody like Alex Jones have to do in order to be welcomed back to media following the entire Sandy Hook debacle? Or take for example, somebody is polarizing is Donald Trump. Again, this is just an example, but I think it's a very interesting quandary. 🤷‍♀️

Heavenly Pup

Heavenly Pup

Reincarnated
Sep 18, 2021
Eh, I don't think I'm above anyone else. Everyone has a unique perspective and unique experiences; how do you know you would act differently under those specific circumstances? We're all capable of great evil. This is not to say we shouldn't react to acts we deem immoral; I just think the people who perpetrate these acts aren't any worse than me, they just got unlucky. So, to answer your question, no, I don't feel like I have the moral high ground to determine who is morally redeemable or not.

• Love
Reactions: SilentAssimilation