D

Dark-Knight

Experienced
Feb 18, 2023
If I don't find metoclopramide, domperidone or other antiemetics then are there other things I can take to prevent vomitting that don't require a prescription? What could I take and how much should I take before sn?

Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
The PPH states that there *may* be some benefit to taking the OTC motion sickness medication Dramamine, which has AE effects. If you haven't already, you should dl the PPHe from the "Resources" section and read it.

Reactions: NoLoveNoHope
ferrie

ferrie

she/they
May 19, 2024
For SN you need a dopamine antagonist especially at the D2 receptor. All effective dopamine antagonists that I'm personally aware of are prescription only bc they can cause things like tardive diskinesia

• Informative
Reactions: Crash_Bash_Dash
L

losing hope

Arcanist
Apr 27, 2022
I find cannabis & ginger help me fight nausea a little.

Reactions: Brokensaddle
D

Dark-Knight

Experienced
Feb 18, 2023
The PPH states that there *may* be some benefit to taking the OTC motion sickness medication Dramamine, which has AE effects. If you haven't already, you should dl the PPHe from the "Resources" section and read it.
I might read it but does it say how much dramamine you should take before sn, and after taking it how long you should wait before using sn?

Crash_Bash_Dash

Crash_Bash_Dash

Nothing what I used to be
Apr 23, 2024
For SN you need a dopamine antagonist especially at the D2 receptor. All effective dopamine antagonists that I'm personally aware of are prescription only bc they can cause things like tardive diskinesia
Nice to know that what receptor especially needs to be targeted. I actually searched for some information about what dopamine/histamine etc. receptors each antipsychotic drug blocks so I may link them in the SN thread if anyone is interested because that information may be useful.

ferrie

ferrie

she/they
May 19, 2024
Nice to know that what receptor especially needs to be targeted. I actually searched for some information about what dopamine/histamine etc. receptors each antipsychotic drug blocks so I may link them in the SN thread if anyone is interested because that information may be useful.
Yeah the D2 receptor is the important one to target when focusing on the dopamine aspect of the vomiting reflex. It's the one that actually sends the emetic impulses. The receptors for the CTZ that controls the vomiting reflex in general are M1 (muscarinic), D2 (dopaminergic), H1 (histaminergic), 5-HT3 (serotonin), and NK1 (neuropeptide substance P)

Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov
Crash_Bash_Dash

Crash_Bash_Dash

Apr 23, 2024
Yeah the D2 receptor is the important one to target when focusing on the dopamine aspect of the vomiting reflex. It's the one that actually sends the emetic impulses. The receptors for the CTZ that controls the vomiting reflex in general are M1 (muscarinic), D2 (dopaminergic), H1 (histaminergic), 5-HT3 (serotonin), and NK1 (neuropeptide substance P)
More interesting info, looked up more for it in the Wikipedia. Seems most antipsychotics don't affect that certain 5-HT3 (serotonin) or the NK1 (neuropeptide substance P) receptor that much but some do on H1 receptor and M1 receptor. I looked quickly up for 5-HT4 agonist in meto and that too has something to do with reliefing nausea/vomiting.

ferrie

ferrie

she/they
May 19, 2024
More interesting info, looked up more for it in the Wikipedia. Seems most antipsychotics don't affect that certain 5-HT3 (serotonin) or the NK1 (neuropeptide substance P) receptor that much but some do on H1 receptor and M1 receptor. I looked quickly up for 5-HT4 agonist in meto and that too has something to do with reliefing nausea/vomiting.
This is actually really fun to talk about, it's been so long since I studied it in school lol. But yeah the CTZ (chemoreceptor trigger zone) is responsible for detecting toxins in your blood & CSF (cerebrospinal fluid). If these toxins are detected, it sends emetic impulses to induce the vomiting reflex (emesis). The CTZ is actually an organ in your medulla oblongata. So each receptor has a different purpose in enacting emesis. Dopamine & serotonin can both be released from GI irritation, with dopamine usually occurring in higher quantities. This is why we want to target the dopamine receptor with SN - excess salt is very irritating to the GI tract. So medications like atypical antipsychotics and treatments for Tourettes work in place for dopamine antagonistic antiemetics, but antiemetics meant for say motion sickness don't bc they target the histaminergic receptor which triggers emesis in a completely different way. You don't need smth that affects every receptor, just the ones that deal with the specific type of emesis you're experiencing

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: notevenhere and Alexei_Kirillov
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I might read it but does it say how much dramamine you should take before sn, and after taking it how long you should wait before using sn?
Not sure without going into it myself and re-reading it after I find it again, but it does mention it, as I said. It *may* have details included with it. You can also search the forum and find some threads where it's been talked about. How effective it would be I'll leave up to you to determine from your research. You wanted an "alternative" to a prescription AE, and I presented a possibility for you to consider.

Crash_Bash_Dash

Crash_Bash_Dash

Apr 23, 2024
This is actually really fun to talk about, it's been so long since I studied it in school lol. But yeah the CTZ (chemoreceptor trigger zone) is responsible for detecting toxins in your blood & CSF (cerebrospinal fluid). If these toxins are detected, it sends emetic impulses to induce the vomiting reflex (emesis). The CTZ is actually an organ in your medulla oblongata. So each receptor has a different purpose in enacting emesis. Dopamine & serotonin can both be released from GI irritation, with dopamine usually occurring in higher quantities. This is why we want to target the dopamine receptor with SN - excess salt is very irritating to the GI tract. So medications like atypical antipsychotics and treatments for Tourettes work in place for dopamine antagonistic antiemetics, but antiemetics meant for say motion sickness don't bc they target the histaminergic receptor which triggers emesis in a completely different way. You don't need smth that affects every receptor, just the ones that deal with the specific type of emesis you're experiencing
Ok, I see. You seemed to know a lot about this topic from the start :D . But interesting to know that there are different anti-emetic medicines of which each target on certain types of receptors to prevent vomiting and each of these medicines is thus meant to cure certain kind of vomiting/nausea reflex.

Reactions: ferrie