What causes Anhedonia?

• Total voters
EmbraceOfTheVoid

EmbraceOfTheVoid

Part Time NEET - Full Time Suicidal
Mar 29, 2020
The freeze response for me, emotional detachment to cope with traumatic events and stressors. Opioid analgesia caused by the freeze response supposedly leads to numbing.

I put it down as other as I don't consider it a illness but a biological and natural response. The issue here being that nature and evolution didn't account for the horrible shit that human beings do to one another and the society we live in that keeps you trapped in a perpetual state of freeze.

I also believe that antpsychotics give people emotional lobotomies based on all of the stories I've read.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Journeytoletgo, voyager, LittleBabyNothing and 5 others
Odwin

Odwin

Bucket of Chicken
Mar 31, 2021
Never took meds. Still have it, but am I depressed because of anhedonia or vice versa?

• Hugs
Reactions: LittleBabyNothing
killedbypsychiatry

killedbypsychiatry

drugging kids is abuse
Jan 27, 2021
I think both emotional states (I don't like the word mental "illness") and psychiatric drugs can cause anhedonia. However I think drug induced anhedonia like in PSSD cases can be much more severe because there's nothing you can do to fix it, your brain receptors have literally been altered. I think there's much more hope when the anhedonia is caused by a natural emotional state triggered by environmental factors.

I personally never had anhedonia until I took psychiatric drug, before that I was very very happy and passionate. But now I have an altered brain that cannot feel :(

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: N0FWayIneedtogo, voyager, Isisnefert and 2 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
The freeze response for me, emotional detachment to cope with traumatic events and stressors. Opioid analgesia caused by the freeze response supposedly leads to numbing.

I put it down as other as I don't consider it a illness but a biological and natural response. The issue here being that nature and evolution didn't account for the horrible shit that human beings do to one another and the society we live in that keeps you trapped in a perpetual state of freeze.

I also believe that antpsychotics give people emotional lobotomies based on all of the stories I've read.

I think your answer is quite accurate!

Reactions: Isisnefert and EmbraceOfTheVoid
Trisolaris

Trisolaris

Arcanist
Dec 11, 2018
I think it can be many things. For me, anhedonia was first caused by depression and then worsened by medication.

• Love
Reactions: Journeytoletgo and Isisnefert
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
I'm sure there are multiple convincing biochemical explanations but my secret opinion is that anhedonia is caused by the inherent boringsness of the world. To find exciting things you have to dig really deep, which is hard to motivate yourself to do when you have anhedonia to start with. You need to be really desperate if you're going to invest yourself in finding those remote and obscure feelings that are so strong that they will pierce through the anhedonia and reach your soul.

Reactions: GenesAndEnvironment
LittleBabyNothing

LittleBabyNothing

Suffering Autointoxification
Nov 22, 2020
For me, it's a consequence of my bpd/cptsd, my depression is a symptom/coping mechanism.
The numbness increases on ssri's and for that reason i won't take them.
I also abuse weed to lessen my intensity and pain, this consequencially leaves me numb.
But mostly i think it's an in built defense. Being borderline everything is too intense, good or bad, so i've had to numb myself in order to survive, it's just too exhausting to experience as i do.

• Love
Reactions: Isisnefert
LakatosDiogenesz

LakatosDiogenesz

I can tie a noose with my eyes closed
Nov 21, 2020
The world just sucks and anyone who talks about it is declared mentally ill as a way to silence them.

Reactions: Isisnefert and lobster salad
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Calling bluffs, maturity.