Hysteria

Hysteria

Crimson
Jan 8, 2024
Hello everyone,

Why do people opt for water when a plastic bag could be just as adequate? By securing a bag over my head with layers of tape or ratchet straps, I believe the process would mirror the effect of drowning - leading to hyperventilation, a peaceful unconsciousness, and eventual passing from asphyxiation.

This method offers advantages over SWB: no need to deal with water, cold, or the risk of being seen, and it's more accessible. However, I'm concerned about potential air leaks, like the small holes in bags that aren't noticeable when carrying groceries but could interfere with an attempt.

What are your thoughts? Why is SWB more popular when plastic bags are readily available?

Regards,
Hysteria

Intoxicated

Intoxicated

M
Nov 16, 2023
Considering how difficult it is to achieve SWB in a usual way in general, you most likely won't accomplish it in a single attempt. You may need 10-20 iterations of hyperventilation followed by breath-holding until the urge to breathe becomes unbearable each time, and eventually you may develop a sufficient tolerance to CO2 that would let you pass out. Such a training is easy when you can submerge your head and resume breathing quickly, but you can't do it so easily when you have to seal and unseal a bag.

Additionally, a bag would contain some residual air that may cause issues with maintaining unconsciousness. If you displace all air from the bag using an asphyxiant gas, this could be a good alternative to SWB, but it's a matter of preference after all. SWB with a help of an inert gas may be a good method on its own too.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hysteria and Praestat_Mori
willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
The plastic bag method is notorious for people taking it off their head while unconscious. I plan on putting a very large trash bag over my head once nearing unconsciousness from a massive overdose but even then I am aware it's a possibility I still manage to take it off. Especially if attempting to do this completely sober you will just remove the bag. If you tape the bag so it can't just be taken off you'll likely find you clawed it off. I believe almost all cases in which a plastic bag was successful at all are related to comorbid drug and alcohol ingestion. Once your brain registers you are running out of oxygen it will do what it has to do to save you.

• Informative
Reactions: Hysteria and Tonkpils
Hysteria

Hysteria

Crimson
Jan 8, 2024
Considering how difficult it is to achieve SWB in a usual way in general, you most likely won't accomplish it in a single attempt. You may need 10-20 iterations of hyperventilation followed by breath-holding until the urge to breathe becomes unbearable each time, and eventually you may develop a sufficient tolerance to CO2 that would let you pass out. Such a training is easy when you can submerge your head and resume breathing quickly, but you can't do it so easily when you have to seal and unseal a bag.

Additionally, a bag would contain some residual air that may cause issues with maintaining unconsciousness. If you displace all air from the bag using an asphyxiant gas, this could be a good alternative to SWB, but it's a matter of preference after all. SWB with a help of an inert gas may be a good method on its own too.

The plastic bag method is notorious for people taking it off their head while unconscious. I plan on putting a very large trash bag over my head once nearing unconsciousness from a massive overdose but even then I am aware it's a possibility I still manage to take it off. Especially if attempting to do this completely sober you will just remove the bag. If you tape the bag so it can't just be taken off you'll likely find you clawed it off. I believe almost all cases in which a plastic bag was successful at all are related to comorbid drug and alcohol ingestion. Once your brain registers you are running out of oxygen it will do what it has to do to save you.

Clawing off a plastic bag sounds not so terrifying. If I regain consciousness underwater, I might experience the dread of drowning. My cousin tried to drown me in the water. I felt enormous chest pain, and I was still coughing water for 20 minutes or longer afterward. The bag seems more comfy.

I understand the problem of residual air. Replacing air with inert gas is a reasonable option. That brings up the concerns about getting an inert gas canister.

What if I replaced the bag with a pillow? I could blackout with the pillow on my face attached with a ratchet strap. Or does pillow killing work only in movies?