S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Could anyone shed some light on why it's necessary to sign up using your real IP address?

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
not even an ounce of knowledge purely a guess and probably not the only reason if i am right but my guess: to help keep annoying people away

Reactions: trashhologram, saddestbunny, NearlyIrrelevantCake and 3 others
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
not even an ounce of knowledge purely a guess and probably not the only reason if i am right but my guess: to help keep annoying people away
So, for example, those that get banned can't return?

That would make sense.

Would you imagine that's the sole reason?

Reactions: beigeonagrayday and Life_and_Death
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
So, for example, those that get banned can't return?

That would make sense.

Would you imagine that's the sole reason?
exactly that. as for the sole reason, i cant think of another reason but theres probably one

Reactions: heavyeyes and Smart No More
castler

castler

Enlightened
Jul 11, 2022
But I thought our Ip address got recycled each time we login to the web - I think mine does and I don't use proxies. I can't imagine nowadays it would stay the same Ip address for long.

Reactions: beigeonagrayday and Skathon
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
But I thought our Ip address got recycled each time we login to the web - I think mine does and I don't use proxies. I can't imagine nowadays it would stay the same Ip address for long.
like i said
not even an ounce of knowledge purely a guess
but im not the only one saying it
They mainly do it to detect duplicate accounts and/or put blocks in place if a poster severely and repeatedly breaks the forum rules.

Reactions: heavyeyes and Smart No More
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021

You must be mistaken. IP's don't usually get changed. You can have the same IP address for many years.

You can use a vpn which will change your ip and there are ip spoofing methods but I'm not aware of anyone having an IP that changes with each connection natively.

Last edited:
Reactions: heavyeyes, beigeonagrayday and Someone123
castler

castler

Enlightened
Jul 11, 2022
No I'm clearly not mistaken

Whenever you connect to a different Wi-Fi network, your public IP will become that network's IP. For example, connecting your laptop or smartphone to a public hot spot at a restaurant or library will give you a different IP address than connecting at home.

wetrus

wetrus

May 1, 2022
You must be mistaken. IP's don't usually get changed. You can have the same IP address for many years.

Yoy can use a vpn which will change your ip and there are ip spoofing methods but I'm not aware of anyone having an IP that changes with each connection natively.

Some ISPS have rotating IPs, I believe its not common on North America/Europe, but some do, if you reset the router the ip will just change

Reactions: NearlyIrrelevantCake, chocolatebar, Skathon and 2 others
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
No I'm clearly not mistaken

Whenever you connect to a different Wi-Fi network, your public IP will become that network's IP. For example, connecting your laptop or smartphone to a public hot spot at a restaurant or library will give you a different IP address than connecting at home.
Ah well if you're using different networks then your IP will be that of the network. I kind of assumed that went without saying. Your connection at home or on your phone will have the same IP though in most cases. There are exceptions but they're few and far between when it comes to home networks or mobile devices. What you're describing with using public wifi may be a way around signing up with new accounts after being banned but if you were to return home and use your home network without a vpn you'd most likely be flagged if you'd used that network previous to your ban.
Some ISPS have rotating IPs, I believe its not common on North America/Europe, but some do, if you reset the router the ip will just change

Yeah, true. Its not very common though. I guess it depends where you live but the infrequency of those cases holds true enough to support the the use of IP's to identify people and their addresses.

Last edited:
Reactions: trashhologram, castler and Someone123
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Most ISPs these days use Dynamic IP addressing via DHCP. You as a customer get an IP lease that lasts for a specific time, and then it renews for another IP address on that subnet. So if you're 199.124.1.11 for a week, after renewal you'll be 199.124.1.12 and so on. That's only if you don't configure your router and it's preconfig by your provider. If you have configured you can set your IP as static meaning you're on that same IP address for years until you change it. IP addresses is defaulted on registration, I don't use it as an indicator of a previous poster because IP addresses can change, however I will look at routing tables and the ASN backbone on which it came to figure out clues if it's a banned user trying to come back in.

• Informative
Reactions: HappyForever?, chocolatebar, Foresight and 4 others
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
to figure out clues if it's a banned user trying to come back in.
so a lot more complicated then what i said. but it makes sense why that seemed like the reason while not completely making sense

S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Most ISPs these days use Dynamic IP addressing via DHCP. You as a customer get an IP lease that lasts for a specific time, and then it renews for another IP address on that subnet. So if you're 199.124.1.11 for a week, after renewal you'll be 199.124.1.12 and so on. That's only if you don't configure your router and it's preconfig by your provider. If you have configured you can set your IP as static meaning you're on that same IP address for years until you change it. IP addresses is defaulted on registration, I don't use it as an indicator of a previous poster because IP addresses can change, however I will look at routing tables and the ASN backbone on which it came to figure out clues if it's a banned user trying to come back in.
Well that's a surprise, I must say as every ISP I've been with has set my router to static IP by default. For many years. Guess things change.

So, while you're here could you shed some light on the reason it's necessary to sign up with our IP addresses?

castler

castler

Enlightened
Jul 11, 2022
Well that's a surprise, I must say as every ISP I've been with has set my router to static IP by default. For many years. Guess things change.

So, while you're here could you shed some light on the reason it's necessary to sign up with our IP addresses?
Cuz if u don't use a IP address - u have no internet.
New Girl Facepalm GIF by FOX TV

S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Cuz if u don't use a IP address - u have no internet.
New Girl Facepalm GIF by FOX TV

I'm not a fucking idiot. Maybe you're joking, I dunno. If you're serious a great example of a backfire.

There a specified rule that you sign up with your genuine IP not using a vpn etc. I mean, you must know this, you're a member. If it were somwthing done by default there'd bw no specified rule around it.

Last edited:
castler

castler

Enlightened
Jul 11, 2022
And they'll catch u like a ball in a glove if u try signing up with a proxy. Hehe.

Maybe its to weed out potential law enforcement from hiding behind proxy, since their the main users we're trying to avoid interacting with on here. That's the only thing I can come up with. Tho there's still some loop holes behind that theory.

VirtualSnow

VirtualSnow

who knows
May 21, 2022
And they'll catch u like a ball in a glove if u try signing up with a proxy. Hehe.
People really underestimate the amount of proxies out there, and perhaps you could register from a proxy and input an IP from a banned country, not sure since I haven't tried.

Reactions: Skathon and castler
Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost

Mestre del Temps
May 6, 2022
I have dynamic IP, if I wanted a fixed IP I would have to pay a monthly fee to use it. Although lately I'm logging in with TOR (not now) because I have access problems (this week especially), I don't know if that's good for my access log in SaSu.
//
Jo tinc IP dinàmica, si volgués una IP fixe hauria de pagar un quota mensual per ferla servir. Tot i que últimament estic entrant amb el TOR (ara no) perquè tinc problemes d'accés (aquesta setmana sobretot). No se pas si això és un inconvenient per a mi de cara al registre d'accesos a SaSu.

Reactions: Smart No More
chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
It's a measure often done in order to make it harder for people to create multiple accounts and try to control the forum or spam it. Some people really want to enforce their opinions or agenda and will maintain many active accounts withdifferent personalities and discuss with themselves. Yes, people are weird.

the bad thing about requiring a non proxy ip is that it makes the users more traceable.

Reactions: TattiQueen, $crim and Smart No More
Nights

Nights

Student
Apr 27, 2023
So that no one can create a lot of accounts throught automated tools and then corrupt this forum, or create a alternative account if he's banned (for example a pro-lifer who registered here just to cause problems) it's for security reasons, it might seem like shady but if you think about it, it isn't, it's just for the security for the security of this forum

Reactions: beigeonagrayday and $crim
honkpilleddoomer

honkpilleddoomer

The living envies the dead.
Feb 23, 2023
That wouldn't be effective at all, most people have dynamic addresses that refresh whenever router is restarted or airplane mode is turned on. Unless the blocks are for the IP range then the blocks might be counterproductive as it could lock out others from registering who are on same IP range.

Reactions: Skathon
Redhat83

Redhat83

Rio:))
Jun 3, 2023
I don't know could just be fear tactics making it seem scary and dangerous by asking for your IP probably deters trolls and reporters idk probably also to stop people rejoining with different accounts too

Kasumi

Kasumi

tired
Mar 3, 2023
while most ISP's switch up ur IP, they don't typically do that all the time, maybe once a week f.e.
So if one IP suddenly starts trying to apply for like 5 accounts thats sus, also if peoplle were to use a vpn than chances are that that would result in exactly that, multiple legitimate registrations, but all coming from the same IP, so in that case they would ban those thinking it's spam when it's legitimate users using a VPN, so the part about not using an VPN is actually to prevent you from getting banned mistakenly I believe.