Marco77

Marco77

À ma manière 🪦
Aug 18, 2024
I called several nombole retailers and distributors in Elio and they told me that most of the time they rent the 50 liter ones, but 600 liters is science fiction and if they existed they would be so huge that they would never be brought into the house. So how is it possible that people commit suicide with helium in their room?

Furthermore, given that the duration with 600 liters is theoretically 40 minutes of gas, it seems not sufficient. And it seems not enough because some took more than 40 minutes to die. Maybe the story of the suicide with Elio Gas is just an urban legend? I would say very cruel given that desperate people are looking for it and hoping for it.

Reactions: annikae
M

Msvr

Legio Patria Nostra
Sep 9, 2024
I called several nombole retailers and distributors in Elio and they told me that most of the time they rent the 50 liter ones, but 600 liters is science fiction and if they existed they would be so huge that they would never be brought into the house. So how is it possible that people commit suicide with helium in their room?

Furthermore, given that the duration with 600 liters is theoretically 40 minutes of gas, it seems not sufficient. And it seems not enough because some took more than 40 minutes to die. Maybe the story of the suicide with Elio Gas is just an urban legend? I would say very cruel given that desperate people are looking for it and hoping for it.
I don't know what "nombole" is or what Elio is either (i assume you mean helium?), but either the store clerk and you had a misunderstanding or you went to the wrong store. In welding a 20 cu ft tank is the smallest tank you can buy. 20 cu ft is equivalent to ~562 liters. I have a 40 cu ft tank which weighs like 30-40 lbs, is probably 3 feet tall and 2 foot circumference. You can fit my 40 cu ft tank (~1125 liters) in a large backpack. The welding shop near me sells up to 300 cu ft tanks, aka up to 8500 liters. Those 8500 liter tanks are about the size of a skinny person and weigh like 130 lbs.

Also you say 40 minutes "seem not sufficient." Death from inert gas hypoxia takes generally 3-10 minutes. There was one woman who took ~40 minutes because she had an improper setup. The mask around her face wasn't sealed properly. All other known examples of inert gas hypoxia euthanasia is less than 10 minutes

Last edited:
Marco77

Marco77

À ma manière 🪦
Aug 18, 2024
So should I go and ask at a welding shop? And with what excuse do I ask for a gas cylinder with all those litres?

M

Msvr

Legio Patria Nostra
Sep 9, 2024
So should I go and ask at a welding shop? And with what excuse do I ask for a gas cylinder with all those litres?
Welding shops are good. Before you go to the welding shop near you, check their website. For my welding shop you had to submit an application to buy gas, which took 2-3 days. But other than that you shouldn't have any trouble going in and buying gas. When I bought my tank it took 2 minutes and they didn't ask any questions about why I needed it. Using gas to ctb is rare, the clerk shouldn't question you about buying gas. And if they do, say it's for food storage, making beer, laser cutting, or some other thing the welding employee might not know about. Easier to lie about things then if you need to.

Also I looked through your prior post a bit. Read the PPH and the inert gas megathread. You, living in Italy, won't buy tanks in cu ft. I think in Italy they are sold in "bars." I don't know the measurements for bars, the PPH and/or mega thread will clarify that.

Last edited: